Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Still haven't heard back from my remaining four programs.. Really thought this would be the week! Hopefully by the end of the month. 

I did just receive an interview for a clinical interventionist position working with children with autism if I don't get in this cycle, it's definitely a good backup :)

Edited by AspiringGC

10 minutes ago, mosley said:

That's what I'm thinking too. Sounds like we all have plenty of other interviews though, so can't complain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're one of the programs I was most excited about, so I'll still be pretty bummed. But yeah, I really can't complain. I have my other interviews to focus on and keep me busy! @mosley where else are you interviewing?

@metabolismo, I agree about JHU. I love the idea of being involved in policy on top of everything else and there were some pretty cool opportunities there I was really excited about. I've been to Cincinatti already and have Emory, Brandeis, VCU, Michigan, Northwestern, and Minnesota coming up!

57 minutes ago, mosley said:

@metabolismo, I agree about JHU. I love the idea of being involved in policy on top of everything else and there were some pretty cool opportunities there I was really excited about. I've been to Cincinatti already and have Emory, Brandeis, VCU, Michigan, Northwestern, and Minnesota coming up!

Nice! Emory has internship opportunities with the CDC that might be a good fit for you, if you're interested in public health policy. Definitely something to look into!

I interviewed at VCU last week. Everyone was super nice and the Richmond, Va area seems like an awesome place to live (great food/beer/music scene with very affordable cost of living). Ann Arbor is also a great city, so lots of excellent choices!

4 hours ago, mosley said:

When is your MN interview? I am interviewing there next week, it is my first interview and I am starting to get nervous!

@moose312 I won't be there until April unfortunately, but good luck! I was really nervous for my first too but, just like everyone else on here has said, the people were super welcoming and it was pretty relaxed. I never felt like I was being grilled, even by the more intense interviewers - they are counselors after all. Hopefully Minnesota is the same. I'm sure you'll be great!

10 hours ago, minja134 said:

Awesome, look forward to seeing you! Are you going to the dinner the night before? Assuming the morning and evening have the same dinner.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'll see you there as well! I got the impression we're not able to stay with students... Is that your understanding too?

Had my first interview yesterday so I figured I'd post some of the questions I was asked:

(some are repeats that have been mentioned before, but they really do ask these questions!)

1. Tell me about yourself/Tell me about your advocacy (5/6 of my interviewers asked about my advocacy with Crisis Text Line)
  2. What do you think is the biggest challenge genetic counselors face?
  3. What do you think you will struggle with the most in graduate school?
  4. Other than location, why did you pick this school?
  5. What is something we can't tell about you on paper that you want us to take away from this interview?
  6. & my personal favorite: If you had an entire month with no responsibilities and unlimited resources how would you spend it?

Good luck at interviews everyone! I have my second one on Monday!

7 minutes ago, Lakers1960 said:

Had my first interview yesterday so I figured I'd post some of the questions I was asked:

(some are repeats that have been mentioned before, but they really do ask these questions!)

1. Tell me about yourself/Tell me about your advocacy (5/6 of my interviewers asked about my advocacy with Crisis Text Line)
  2. What do you think is the biggest challenge genetic counselors face?
  3. What do you think you will struggle with the most in graduate school?
  4. Other than location, why did you pick this school?
  5. What is something we can't tell about you on paper that you want us to take away from this interview?
  6. & my personal favorite: If you had an entire month with no responsibilities and unlimited resources how would you spend it?

Good luck at interviews everyone! I have my second one on Monday!

Thanks for posting these! Also, I'm a counselor with Crisis Text Line too!

23 minutes ago, GCInTraining said:

Thanks for posting these! Also, I'm a counselor with Crisis Text Line too!

No way! When is your shift??

Be prepared to talk about it A LOT! I was blown away by how interested they were in that. 

1 minute ago, Lakers1960 said:

No way! When is your shift??

Be prepared to talk about it A LOT! I was blown away by how interested they were in that. 

I work Sundays from 12-2 and Tuesdays from 6-8 (MST). What about you?

Oh good to know! Were they mostly interested in your experiences and what you've learned or more big picture things about CTL?