Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

3 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Do you guys know what to do if we can't find an interviewer's email address to send them a thank you email? I've searched everywhere online, all I could find was a LinkedIn and the other two I can't find at all =/

Also, has anyone started getting the rejection nightmares? I had one last night...it involved UFO's on an island and strange interviewers who didn't like me :huh: 13 days until match day!!!

I had a dream last night that a school called some of us interviewees back for a second round of interviews and we had to do all sorts of crazy athletic things and it ended in a battle royale for who would get the 8 spots :lol:

My dreams so far have been things like showing up to an interview 3 hours late, or getting accepted and going to the first day only to realize I applied to the wrong program (I think in the dream I realized I was enrolled for a Master's in baking or something).

Anyone who likes board games- I'm super excited for this one: 

5 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

I had a dream last night that a school called some of us interviewees back for a second round of interviews and we had to do all sorts of crazy athletic things and it ended in a battle royale for who would get the 8 spots :lol:

Oh man! I had a similar dream in which one of the items on our interview itineraries was a chin-up competition. My subconscious mind was was clearly trying to extinguish my anxiety about interviews with my recent victory in FINALLY being able to do a legit chin up. 

@Gadgette, my game-store-owning ex would totally have given me that if we were still together - I love worker placement games and pontificating on scientifically inaccurate pop culture. Hopefully he'll have the opportunity to give it to me as a going away present.

1 hour ago, Gadgette said:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone doing on Match Day?

My plan: stay home from work to spend the day with my phone, email, and Netflix. Then, regardless of if it's a good or bad day, dinner and drinks with friends.

I thankfully don't have class that day until 2pm, so I'll be sitting in my bed with a phone in my hand, trying not to panic.

After that, I'll probably celebrate with whoever wants to have fun on a Monday night.

@Gadgette unfortunately I work 8-8 :-( Maybe I will ask to go in late, But Jefferson told us just because calls start around 9am, we may not hear until later in the day. So it seems like high stress all day. May have to sneak some wine into my thermos at work haha

2 hours ago, Gadgette said:

My plan: stay home from work to spend the day with my phone, email, and Netflix. Then, regardless of if it's a good or bad day, dinner and drinks with friends.

I work until 3pm and am crossing my fingers that it will be a busy day so I don't have time to sit and panic/stress/go crazy. My boyfriend will be waiting on standby to do whatever I want that night.

Really crossing my fingers for my top choice.. my boyfriend had already previously talked to his bosses about transferring within the company to any of the cities I would potentially attend school in.. and this week they told him they have a promotion and raise waiting for him if we move to the city my top choice school is in...  

14 hours ago, Gadgette said:

I've taken (mostly) off from 7am until 3pm, which is difficult when you don't have a real job, but basically I've found alternative transportation and childcare for my kids and my nanny kids. I'm back on at 3 as there just isn't a way to replace me between 3-8pm on Mondays, but I imagine that the main phone call time will be over by that point.

I'm planning to hang out with my partner all day. After we drop our kid off at school at 8:30, we'll head to the gym, then get brunch. That should take until like noon or one, then idk, maybe go trail running if the weather's nice. Maybe get pedicures? Go to my ex's store and play his vast library of board games? A fun, busy day. 

15 hours ago, Gadgette said:

I'm working part time and got my class covered so I don't have to teach - it's a 9:15 so there's a chance it'll be right after an email or during a potential call. Probably will play Zelda while I wait for emails/phone calls, and then get smashed either way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 4/5/2017 at 1:15 PM, TK1616 said:

I believe each interview was about 25-30 mins!! I liked the program a lot. I really liked the way curriculum is set and they arranged it so that all 6 students are taking the same type of rotation at the same time which I found great as well. Center city, Philadelphia is also an awesome place to live since I am in the city a lot. Good luck on the interview!

Just to update you since you were very kind to update all of us. There was 8 people at the 4/7 interview and they said there are 28 interviewees total. They said there was still a few applicants to be interviewed, maybe smaller dates or by Skype? I too really enjoyed Jefferson and maybe we will see each other there!

45 minutes ago, minja134 said:

Just to update you since you were very kind to update all of us. There was 8 people at the 4/7 interview and they said there are 28 interviewees total. They said there was still a few applicants to be interviewed, maybe smaller dates or by Skype? I too really enjoyed Jefferson and maybe we will see each other there!

Thanks so much for the info -- appreciate it!

20 hours ago, Gadgette said:

Planning to spend the day with my mom, as my husband will be working and I don't want to be alone at home. Then will probably go for dinner with husband and friends, no matter what news I get! 

Does anyone know if genetic counseling schools can reconsider an offer made to an applicant? I might be overthinking things. I'm currently taking my last prerequisite and struggling quite a bit in the class, despite my best efforts. Would a poor grade in this class cause them to revoke my offer, if I got one? I won't finish the class and know my final grade until well after decision day.

1 hour ago, Gorays39 said:

Does anyone know if genetic counseling schools can reconsider an offer made to an applicant? I might be overthinking things. I'm currently taking my last prerequisite and struggling quite a bit in the class, despite my best efforts. Would a poor grade in this class cause them to revoke my offer, if I got one? I won't finish the class and know my final grade until well after decision day.

They might be able to if you didn't meet the requirements that they have listed for example if a program said that all pre-req courses you have to have a C or better or if it caused your total GPA to go below their minimum GPA requirements. I'm guessing there has to be some sort of review process by the school's addmissions office, otherwise people could have pending courses but then dropped them and never completed the courses. How deep the review process goes I'm not sure. But admission decisions are not completely binding if they happened to find out an applicant falsified information or what not, so I'm guessing prerequisite courses might also fall under that contingency acceptance as well. But also if your overall GPA isn't going to suffer and you won't go below any minimums you'll be probably be fine!

Edited by minja134

2 hours ago, Gorays39 said:

Sure, they can, but they probably won't - it's a huge hassle. They probably wouldn't be able to replace you, so they'd have an entire class one student smaller than they wanted it to be. Not worth it for a C. If you got arrested for a violent crime? Worth it. If they find out you lied on your application? Worth it. One little C from someone they've already decided that they liked and will be successful in their program? Nah, not worth it. 

@metabolismo Thanks for setting up that survey!  It's been really interesting seeing all the results.  I've really enjoyed reading them.  It's funny how differently people view the programs.  For example, Arkansas is towards the bottom of my list of programs and 3 people have it listed as their top choice! 

So because I needed to do something to distract myself from stressing about the fact that match day is in a little over a week, I have come up with two fun facts for everyone: from going back through the pages of this forum and through the results board, I have determined that in this forum there are at least 58 individual applicants that received at least one interview, and combined we have at least 141 interview slots! 

I'm so sad that I am just now finding this forum, but I am so excited to find a community of fellow GC applicants! It's hard to even find anybody that knows what genetic counseling is in my small town in MS.  Good luck to everybody - just a little over a week guys! We've all done our very best and that's all we can do. :)

20 hours ago, Ellaie said:

@metabolismo Thanks for setting up that survey!  It's been really interesting seeing all the results.  I've really enjoyed reading them.  It's funny how differently people view the programs.  For example, Arkansas is towards the bottom of my list of programs and 3 people have it listed as their top choice! 

I'm enjoying seeing how people view the schools I interviewed with, too. Now if everyone could just stop picking my top program as their #1 choice, I'd really appreciate it! :P

10 more days! Hope everyone can relax this weekend, because I know the weekend before Match Day is going to be anything but for me!

20 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

So because I needed to do something to distract myself from stressing about the fact that match day is in a little over a week, I have come up with two fun facts for everyone: from going back through the pages of this forum and through the results board, I have determined that in this forum there are at least 58 individual applicants that received at least one interview, and combined we have at least 141 interview slots! 

That's awesome that you looked at all that! Now I wonder what the percentage of total interviews this forum makes up!

19 hours ago, minja134 said:

That's awesome that you looked at all that! Now I wonder what the percentage of total interviews this forum makes up!

I'm eager to answer this!

It will require this very short Google form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFfmSKz2l_GWaxpPNkr1Mu5LlyJCZZPzwn3zN54esdvveOMw/viewform?usp=sf_link

And the crowd sourced completion of this spreadsheet (if you have an educated guess about how many interviews a program conducted or how many students they will be accepting for their fall 2017 class, fill that in - i will finish up the algorithm stuff.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bvloEuIlsL5AohmhoBjuF_3UV_ADCF3lz8yVtkLjY9o/edit?usp=drivesdk

I promise interesting and applicable data based guesses about how many total applicants there are this cycle and how many of them are likely to get in to a school.