Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

1 hour ago, jadez07 said:

Has anyone heard about interviews yet? I applied to UNCG and I expected to have heard back from them by now... Haha. Let the waiting game begin :|

Nothing yet. The results tab showed someone getting an interview with Emory, but looking at other schools I'm not really expecting to hear anything until around the 25th. That hasn't stopped me from constantly checking my email though.

Only 97 days until Match Day! Not that anyone is counting.

3 hours ago, jadez07 said:

Has anyone heard about interviews yet? I applied to UNCG and I expected to have heard back from them by now... Haha. Let the waiting game begin :|

Yeah, I honestly am not expecting anything until around early to mid-February. So I wouldn't stress too much yet!

I'd like to solicit your sartorial opinions:

I have a medium-sized tattoo that can be covered or not depending on clothing choice. Obviously, for my interview(s), it will not be visible. However, Emory has an optional dinner with current students event the night before the interview. Do you think it would be okay to wear an outfit that shows my tattoo to the dinner? Atlanta is a fair bit warmer than my home right now and it would be a treat to be able to go out in a skirt or dress. 

2 hours ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I'd like to solicit your sartorial opinions:

I have a medium-sized tattoo that can be covered or not depending on clothing choice. Obviously, for my interview(s), it will not be visible. However, Emory has an optional dinner with current students event the night before the interview. Do you think it would be okay to wear an outfit that shows my tattoo to the dinner? Atlanta is a fair bit warmer than my home right now and it would be a treat to be able to go out in a skirt or dress. 

I think for the dinner it is totally fine to have visible. It shows your personality and who you are, and it is not in an interview arena, but with current students like you said. They'll be more receptive and I bet it wouldn't even phase them. (If it helps I have 3 tattoos, one of which is rather large and is visible if I wear certain clothing and I would let it show if that article of clothing seemed appropriate for the same situation). 

Never thought I'd miss filling out applications, but this waiting is occupying my every free moment of thought. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Just a little while longer. *twitch*

On a more pleasant note I'm also enjoying Netflix's take on A Series of Unfortunate Events. Anyone else here a gamer? Been playing the Evil Within and though it's not exactly a pleasant experience I am driven to complete it (if only to justify buying it on sale).

6 hours ago, .Aku. said:

Never thought I'd miss filling out applications, but this waiting is occupying my every free moment of thought. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Just a little while longer. *twitch*

On a more pleasant note I'm also enjoying Netflix's take on A Series of Unfortunate Events. Anyone else here a gamer? Been playing the Evil Within and though it's not exactly a pleasant experience I am driven to complete it (if only to justify buying it on sale).

I typically only game during breaks, but I love Slyrkm and Fallout ☺️

7 hours ago, slaybackc said:

I typically only game during breaks, but I love Slyrkm and Fallout ☺️

I know they're universally loved but for some reason I've never been able to get into Bethesda's games. As far as RPGs go, I'm incredibly excited for Mass Effect Andromeda. Probably my most anticipated game right now.

11 hours ago, Gadgette said:

Definitely agree on missing working on applications! By 11am I had checked my email 6 times. I even had an hour long meeting before then where I couldn't check. I know there's nothing there, but I can't help it!

Same here!

Congratulations to everyone on submitting applications! I am also anxiously awaiting responses now, even though I know I won't be hearing from any of the schools I've applied to for quite some time.

If anyone is willing to offer some advice to an anxious girl:

I held onto my University of Michigan applications until the very last day. The application was due January 5th, and i literally submitted it on the morning of January 5th (hindsight 20/20, this was an awful idea but I just couldn't let go of it at the time). They have a portal where you can review your applications and I just found out that everything was submitted/accepted on January 6th! So now I am pretty upset and contemplating what to do. Should I email the director? Should I leave it be and see what happens? 

My transcript also hadn't been received by them until January 9th... which is crazy because I submitted it as early as possible and the other school I applied to received it on January 5th. 

University of Michigan's website says their deadline for ALL materials was strictly January 5th.. but I'm not sure if it would be out of line to email someone on the admissions committee. Any input on this.. would be so appreciated T_T 

48 minutes ago, HC929 said:

Congratulations to everyone on submitting applications! I am also anxiously awaiting responses now, even though I know I won't be hearing from any of the schools I've applied to for quite some time.

I held onto my University of Michigan applications until the very last day. The application was due January 5th, and i literally submitted it on the morning of January 5th (hindsight 20/20, this was an awful idea but I just couldn't let go of it at the time). They have a portal where you can review your applications and I just found out that everything was submitted/accepted on January 6th! So now I am pretty upset and contemplating what to do. Should I email the director? Should I leave it be and see what happens? 

My transcript also hadn't been received by them until January 9th... which is crazy because I submitted it as early as possible and the other school I applied to received it on January 5th. 

University of Michigan's website says their deadline for ALL materials was strictly January 5th.. but I'm not sure if it would be out of line to email someone on the admissions committee. Any input on this.. would be so appreciated T_T 

It's hard not to worry about deadlines, but I wouldn't be too worried about one day. That being said, I'm not familiar with Michigan at all.  For some of the schools I was really stressed because it said that they had only received unofficial transcripts or hadn't received them at all. This was only true for one of the schools, the rest simply hadn't updated the tracking system.

2 hours ago, HC929 said:

I can completely relate to your anxiety with this waiting game!

I would not worry too much about the dates that display in the system. I think those are simply the dates that the program coordinator officially merged everything together and marked your application as "complete," but of course I cannot say for sure. I have received reassurance from program directors that waiting to submit until the very last minute has no impact on the review of your application - I believe most will not even look at any application until after the deadline.

Fingers crossed for good news on all of our applications soon-ish!

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Billowack said:

I know I'm WAY late on replying to this, but in case it's helpful to you or anyone else USF has posted info on their MSPH in genetic counseling. I can also help anyone with questions on this program. 

Thanks! I ended up not submitting an application to the program at USF - it was so hard to narrow down the list!

7 hours ago, HC929 said:

I'd recommend emailing someone (whoever seems to be in charge of coordinating applications), I don't think you have much to lose. Just be sure it's phrased in a calm and professional way.

I think there may be some flexibility. One of my letters of rec writers didn't sign the letter she sent in and I had to get a signed version sent to a program after the deadline for receiving materials. It ended up fine and that's where I attend right now. At the end of the day, it's real - often compassionate and understanding - people who make these calls and no deadline is completely without any exceptions.

Edited by UTGC

Came home to two envelopes from Stanislaus!  One was confirming that I am not a California resident, the other was info to set up my student account so that I can see application status.  Set up my password, went to log in- the server is down right now.  But at least I'm one step closer to knowing if they have everything!

1 hour ago, Gadgette said:

Came home to two envelopes from Stanislaus!  One was confirming that I am not a California resident, the other was info to set up my student account so that I can see application status.  Set up my password, went to log in- the server is down right now.  But at least I'm one step closer to knowing if they have everything!

Glad to hear they're sending these out! I've been wondering if they've even received mine. I wonder why they don't just have a completely online system like all other schools!

11 hours ago, alalav said:

Glad to hear they're sending these out! I've been wondering if they've even received mine. I wonder why they don't just have a completely online system like all other schools!

Ohh, excited for this too! My paper application wasn't delivered until 1/14, but I'll have to ask my mom to see if anything was delivered!

Super awesome part of Stanislaus- I may actually qualify for in-store tuition, even though I haven't lived there for more than 3 years.

Oh! I remembered that I wanted to share this with you! Genome Magazine offers free subscriptions and cover some pretty interesting topics. This is the second year in a row I've gotten it, so I can promise it's not a free-introductory type scam.  http://genomemag.com/

Edited by Gadgette
Adding Genome info

Hello everyone,

I just recently found this forum and was amazed to find other people interested in genetic counseling. I found it very helpfully listening to others that are in the same boat and those you have had some prior experience in the application process. I just wanted to give a heads up to those who applied to U Pitt, I just received an email from the committee yesterday unfortunately rejecting my application. ( which I'm still pretty bummed about : (  ) I wanted to prepare anyone else that an email may be coming. Also, another school I was wondering if anyone else is applying to Indiana State University? I know its a smaller and recently new program but, I was wondering if anyone else has been contacted by the committee yet? I ask because the program director said interviews offers/rejections would be sent out by the middle of Jan. 

7 minutes ago, JN212 said:

Hello everyone,

I just recently found this forum and was amazed to find other people interested in genetic counseling. I found it very helpfully listening to others that are in the same boat and those you have had some prior experience in the application process. I just wanted to give a heads up to those who applied to U Pitt, I just received an email from the committee yesterday unfortunately rejecting my application. ( which I'm still pretty bummed about : (  ) I wanted to prepare anyone else that an email may be coming. Also, another school I was wondering if anyone else is applying to Indiana State University? I know its a smaller and recently new program but, I was wondering if anyone else has been contacted by the committee yet? I ask because the program director said interviews offers/rejections would be sent out by the middle of Jan. 

Sorry about your rejection :(, it's such a stressful process. I didn't apply to Indiana State but I would imagine you'll find out any day now! I'm still waiting on UNCG, which was also supposed to be released mid January (based on last year).

I'm coming in a bit late here.. but I was wondering if anyone had some advice on this topic.

I'm wondering how critical direct Genetic Counselling experience is, based on your experience with the program. I've only applied to the three Canadian schools this year (because I'm still finishing my undergrad, and was limited on time to complete the GRE). 

Im from a 4.33 GPA system, and my GPA is 4.16/4.33 for a dual concentration degree (Biochemistry Molecular Biology & Psychology).
I have 1 year experience Peer Counselling, 1 summer research job in genetics, and 1 day job shadowing a genetic counsellor. But unfortunately, the latter is my only direct experience with Genetic Counselling. But I've done enough research to know that this is the career for me. Unfortunately, I'm located in a small town where genetic counselling experience is not possible (doesn't even exist here). 

What do you guys think? Would my academic background be enough? I'm so concerned that I won't even be considered for an interview. 

10 minutes ago, bB0769 said:

I'm coming in a bit late here.. but I was wondering if anyone had some advice on this topic.

I'm wondering how critical direct Genetic Counselling experience is, based on your experience with the program. I've only applied to the three Canadian schools this year (because I'm still finishing my undergrad, and was limited on time to complete the GRE). 

Im from a 4.33 GPA system, and my GPA is 4.16/4.33 for a dual concentration degree (Biochemistry Molecular Biology & Psychology).
I have 1 year experience Peer Counselling, 1 summer research job in genetics, and 1 day job shadowing a genetic counsellor. But unfortunately, the latter is my only direct experience with Genetic Counselling. But I've done enough research to know that this is the career for me. Unfortunately, I'm located in a small town where genetic counselling experience is not possible (doesn't even exist here). 

What do you guys think? Would my academic background be enough? I'm so concerned that I won't even be considered for an interview. 

I haven't gotten any feedback yet, so this is all with a grain of salt. One of the things that came up multiple times at this past AEC was that education is really limited by the capacity for students in clinics. While the discussion was focused on clinical during Master's programs, I think the field as a whole is aware that there just aren't a ton of places that can accommodate students. Having some shadowing, even one day, is great! The NSGC website lets you see which counselors are ok with student contact. See if anyone is open to a phone interview.

You're academic background is strong. (Glad my grades aren't being compared to yours!) If you're concerned I would suggest finding advocacy experiences. Working with individuals with disabilities, work suicide hotlines, volunteer with rape/domestic violence groups...

Hope this helps!

52 minutes ago, bB0769 said:

36 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I haven't gotten any feedback yet, so this is all with a grain of salt. One of the things that came up multiple times at this past AEC was that education is really limited by the capacity for students in clinics. While the discussion was focused on clinical during Master's programs, I think the field as a whole is aware that there just aren't a ton of places that can accommodate students. Having some shadowing, even one day, is great! The NSGC website lets you see which counselors are ok with student contact. See if anyone is open to a phone interview.

You're academic background is strong. (Glad my grades aren't being compared to yours!) If you're concerned I would suggest finding advocacy experiences. Working with individuals with disabilities, work suicide hotlines, volunteer with rape/domestic violence groups...

Hope this helps!

I think Gadgette sums this up pretty well and I am in the same boat without having direct feedback either. 
However, I have zero direct genetic counseling experience because it is not allowed in my state, but I have done informational interviews with genetic counselors, watched the GC interview videos on the NSGC website (lets you see 3 real GC and patient interactions), spent a semester as a Patient Advocate Intern at my university hospital and I am currently getting trained to work as a Peer Counselor at the local AIDS foundation. I think all of these experiences will more than make up for my lack of direct exposure. In the same respect, I think your experience as a Peer counselor is extremely helpful and also having research in genetics is something that might give you an edge for any programs that are more research based.

While many admission committees do realize that it is hard to get experience, but they still expect you to know exactly what a GC does and have good commentary and opinions as I have heard some interviewers will have scenario questions that are based off of recent issues in genetic counseling, so definitely start reading up on these issues if you haven't already!

I attended a couple of webinars for prospective students and they said in those that they know how difficult it is to get shadowing experience, since those opportunities are pretty much just reserved for current Master's students. From the GC I've talked to as well, they seem to say the same thing. I agree with playbackc: they mostly expect you to have a firm grasp of the field. 

Also, peer counseling experience should be great! All of the schools I applied to specified counseling experience didn't have to be for a crisis center, so I think that experience will be awesome, plus your grades are strong!

Hi, it looks like I found this forum a little late, would have been really helpful during applications, but I got an interview for Emory. I'm just hoping someone has some general advice about how the interview will go. I'm also a little thrown off on what the 'writing exercise' is, anyone have any feedback on this?

Congrats!! I haven't heard anything about a writing exercise. That makes me nervous. I know during interviews at my office (not GC related) they give interviewees a prompt or scenario then give them 20 minutes to write a response. No idea how to prepare for that.

Today I am working on documentation at work. So in other words: write a case note, check my email, write a case note, check my email...