Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

12 minutes ago, Darwin said:

Out of curiosity, how many people's rankings were different before/after interviews?

For me, I had 5 interviews -- my #1 choice going into applications is still my #1, but the others definitely moved around based on more intangibles that I maybe hadn't considered initially. That being said, I would be thrilled to go to any of the places I visited. I think that's what is making this hard - I really liked them all, and I also am afraid of thinking too much about 'ranking' and setting myself up for disappointment on Monday if it turns out that this cycle doesn't work at at all. I am trying to just keep an open mind and see how things go, but that is easier said than done!

My ranking changed entirely. My top 2 schools were programs I barely considered before actually going there. I realized how important location was to me. I'm thankful that my partner is happy with long distance, so I can go basically anywhere. I've never had so much freedom before! Also a school I interviewed at that I expected to love just...didn't wow me. It didn't have a lot of what I was looking for even though the name of it was appealing.

7 hours ago, WBGC said:

I know everyone is different.. But if anyone has any advice to offer I'm open to it!

My biggest dilemma with ranking my programs is that when I don't consider cost I have a certain ranking.. But of course my number one and two are about $30,000 more than 3 and 4. So then it makes me reevaluate my entire ranking. I genuinely cannot know if a specific 2 year program is worth so much more money. Does anyone know from experience, someone else's experience, or have any reasoning as to how much cost will matter in the long run, or if it's worth it to spend a ton more but enjoy the program a bit more? Thanks in advance! 

Cost is obviously a big thing to consider but at the same time, an extra $20,000 isn't going to make a huge difference in the long run. Especially since we're guaranteed a job after graduation and some jobs even help pay off your loans, it's not something I'm extremely worried about. Unless that's the difference between you not needing loans and suddenly needing loans, a little extra isn't going to be a big difference. I know some people have been working a long time and/or have a family, but most of us are used to living the "college life" already. So if I need to live that way for a little while after graduation to pay off the loans a bit faster, it's not a big deal. My first and second choice are almost a $60,000 difference so that did make an impact on my decision because that's almost an entire year's salary (I also only liked one slightly better) but my other schools that are $10-$30k different were not really impacted. I guess I use cost more as a tie breaker than an actual factor. 

2 hours ago, Gadgette said:

@Ultrapeaches, have you found that knowing where your family wants you to go influences things? I both really want to know what they think and don't!

I was laying in bed last night thinking about how we're [now less] than a week away and could feel my heart rate increase.

I think it depends on your relationship with the family members in question - I care about my parents' and inlaws' relationships with their grandkids, and it's possible that my dad my sweeten the deal with dollars if I move close to him and fret about moving costs, cost of living, whatever.

If it were just me I probably would not care what they wanted, because my personal relationships with them are kinda so-so.

That's fair. I applied to one school about 2 hours from my parents, and one about a 20 minute walk from my in-laws. It would have been nice to be close. But the silver lining to getting rejected from both is that I can say I tried, I can pick a program without parents being a huge influence, and no one will feel like I picked one set of parents over the other.

I decided to plan a trip to visit a friend in the UK 2 days after Match Day (I know poor choice to blow my tax refund when I should be saving for grad school). It's definitely helping me keep my mind off things, which is a major plus. However, my type A personality has already packed my luggage, booked hostels, and prepared all the documents I would need. So now I have nothing to keep myself busy.

I also joined a bowling league...it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Edited by atx09

42 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Is anyone else maniacally checking the university admission portals to see if maybe the status of our application has been updated to "accepted" or something...I'm just hoping for a slip up like that. ugh 5 more days!!!

I keep checking my email, then reminding myself that: a.) it isn't time. and b.) the news I want will likely be in a phone call and an email probably won't have the answer I want.

Just remember, a week from right now the wait will, one way or another, be over!

2 hours ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Is anyone else maniacally checking the university admission portals to see if maybe the status of our application has been updated to "accepted" or something...I'm just hoping for a slip up like that. ugh 5 more days!!!

I got an email from the University of Michigan's genetic counseling program and I nearly jumped out of my skin. But it was just a department newsletter. 

37 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

I got an email from the University of Michigan's genetic counseling program and I nearly jumped out of my skin. But it was just a department newsletter. 

Haha, yeah, Brandeis emailed me to make sure they had my correct contact information and I was like "AAAAAHHH- oh yes that it my phone number thank you"

But honestly, the handouts the schools all gave us from AGCPD made it sound like it was strictly verboden to let candidates know about their admission status early, so I doubt that schools would risk their accreditation to notify people ahead of time, either intentionally or on accident.

We just have to wait for Monday, guys. Though I'll probably die of anticipation before then, I'll have my partner get on the forum and let you know where I was accepted and where I would have matriculated had the wait not killed me.

Edited by Ultrapeaches
Swypo

I found out today that the GC I interned with lost her job - the hospital is killing their entire oncology department for some reason. I haven't been able to get a hold of her - I was hoping to meet up with her anyway to deliver a thank-you basket of various crafty bric-a-brac that I make (tea cup pour candles, lotion, bath bomb, cookies) but now I really want to talk to her to make sure she's doing okay.

I just wanted to remind everyone in the craziness next week that if you get in to several programs at least to let the programs you definitely don't want to go to know. It says we have until the 26 to decide, but if you get off the waiting list at 4.30 on 26th you still only have until 5.00 on the 26th to say yes.

It helps others that may really want that place be able to have some peace of mind. (and have a great day!) Also its kind of sucky to hold a place when you know you won't be going there.

Now I have to find something else to distract myself with for a few days :-/

Has anyone else gotten a, like, check in email from school they interviewed with? Very general - "Thanks for interviewing, if you have any questions about program please let us know, good luck on match day!"

I'm trying to decide if this is an auspicious sign.

2 hours ago, GCapplicant said:

One of the schools that rejected me for an interview sent me another rejection email this morning...I'm really confused! This makes me even more nervous for Monday D:

Same experience here. For me it's Rutgers. It really made my morning more dreading.

7 minutes ago, GC4ever said:

Same experience here. For me it's Rutgers. It really made my morning more dreading.

Yup, mine was from Rutgers as well. I wonder why they sent out a second batch of rejection emails? 

Edited by GCapplicant

1 minute ago, GCapplicant said:

Yup, mine was from Rutgers as well. I wonder why they sent out a second batch of rejection emails? 

I suppose their admission process is not as integrated as other programs for it's their first year to set up the whole thing. Maybe there're some communication issues during the notification process. But I'm not sure...

Well my appendix decided to try to kill me a few days ago so surgery and recovery have kept me nice and distracted. Definitely not a fun experience but I'm glad it didn't happen during interviews or something. I now get Monday and Tuesday off work but now I'll have to make this decision/ talk to directors while on pain meds... I also won't be able to celebrate or drown myself in ice cream depending on the results. My plan regardless is to continue eating applesauce and mourning the loss of my belly button. Send help.

5 hours ago, GCInTraining said:

Well my appendix decided to try to kill me a few days ago so surgery and recovery have kept me nice and distracted. Definitely not a fun experience but I'm glad it didn't happen during interviews or something. I now get Monday and Tuesday off work but now I'll have to make this decision/ talk to directors while on pain meds... I also won't be able to celebrate or drown myself in ice cream depending on the results. My plan regardless is to continue eating applesauce and mourning the loss of my belly button. Send help.

@GCInTraining  What a bummer!! Getting appendicitis is one of my biggest fears!  I work in the surgery department at a hospital and there are always at least 1 or 2 add-on emergency appendectomy cases every day.  I get so paranoid if I ever have any pain in any part of my stomach haha. 

7 hours ago, GCInTraining said:

That's terrifying! I'm sorry about your belly button, but happy you're alive!