Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

6 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

I'm disappointed to hear we wont be classmates!  SLC was a great school though, and I'm sure you're going to enjoy it there!

I'm sure we'll cross paths somewhere! I was emailing Deborah and she was really nice about everything - I told her I'm definitely coming home to central FL  to start my career, and she said to contact her in the future for job prospects and I should come to the FL GC Meeting in the Spring (which I might just do, if it's during Spring Break!). =) I'm happy for you though - and excited for USF's inaugural class!

Hey everyone!

I know there are still a couple hours left but I just wanted to share this opportunity for those of you that don't get in. My office is now searching for my replacement as a genetic counseling assistant in Salt Lake City. It has been an AMAZING experience and it really helped prepare me for graduate school. You would be an assistant for 8 genetic counselors and involved in all aspects of testing. We're hoping to start interviews in a couple weeks and the start date would likely be in June. If you have any questions about the position or city, feel free to ask me! Here's the posting for those interested:

https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/63509

Edited by GCInTraining

@adragonisnoslave Just called IU, they have 1 spot left with that person waiting out for an other school. Also a few people ahead of me on the waitlist that seemed very interested in IU. I'm going to give it 30ish mins then go ahead and accept ISU and take myself off the waitlist at IU if nothing changes. Hope you're ahead of me!

49 minutes ago, minja134 said:

@adragonisnoslave Just called IU, they have 1 spot left with that person waiting out for an other school. Also a few people ahead of me on the waitlist that seemed very interested in IU. I'm going to give it 30ish mins then go ahead and accept ISU and take myself off the waitlist at IU if nothing changes. Hope you're ahead of me!

Thx for the update. It's not looking good for me. Congrats on ISU :)

Edit: Got the email from IU and they're filled. I'll try for second match but looks like a second year applicant for me... anyone else a second year applicant and want to chat? I'd appreciate it.

Edited by adragonisnoslave

33 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Edit: Got the email from IU and they're filled. I'll try for second match but looks like a second year applicant for me... anyone else a second year applicant and want to chat? I'd appreciate it.

I just got their email as well. I am actually a 3rd year applicant, so keep pushing through! 

37 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

I'm going to be a second year applicant who didn't get any interviews, so you're more than welcome to reach out to me too, I just have a slightly different take, since I've known since early March that I wasn't getting in. 

3 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I'm going to be a second year applicant who didn't get any interviews, so you're more than welcome to reach out to me too, I just have a slightly different take, since I've known since early March that I wasn't getting in. 

@adragonisnoslave@TAGC@robyn94 I feel you guys. I interviewed at two schools in Canada, got on wait lists but no prize. So difficult to think about the next steps from here (not sure if this is the right time to do that any way). How are you guys handling everything?

So....is it too early to start the Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 thread? 

Congrats to everyone who got in! As much as I'd have loved to been one of you, I am sincerely happy for each and everyone one who got an acceptance.

Everyone else- it definitely stings to have not gotten in. But look what we accomplished! We put ourselves out there, poured our hearts and souls into reaching our dreams! That's no small feat. 

2 minutes ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

For those of you who got in this cycle and it was your second time applying, what sort of jobs did you look at to strengthen your application?

This one: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/63509:)

I also volunteered at Crisis Text Line (advocacy you can do from your couch) and Planned Parenthood. Also, the more shadowing you can get, the better!

@GCo.Hopeful I'm going to reach out the program directors as soon as possible because guessing will kill me. I think that's the smartest idea for a second year applicant which I have become as of this morning. @No1992, I'm not handling so well... I feel totally lost - like what do they want from me? I guess just applying again and displaying perseverence and determination is something. I'm trying to take it one day at a time and I'm counting down till I can reach out to them. 

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the true match system they are going to next year, but I have to admit that I do think I will like being told the school I am matched to and not having to sit through 3 days of stressing about wait lists and what not. And the algorithm is supposed to match you to your highest ranked school possible, so all the "top" applicants that people always wait for to choose which school to accept won't be holding up wait lists and such. 

26 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

the hospital near me with a GC dept doesn't allow shadowing. They're apparently starting a small one at another hospital in town, so pray for me they'll let me see. That should strengthen my application for next year. 

can you sign up at the hospital as a volunteer and then just volunteer in the GC Dept? That's what I had to do - I was technically a hospital volunteer but the GC allowed me to sit in on sessions and do paperwork and stuff.

2 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

Also, the survey for the second chance match said it wasn't going to open until tomorrow but it's actually already open.

can you post the link?  I am not seeing anything on the website.. Thanks!