African-American/Africana/Diaspora Studies/Fall 2017 Applicants

What an interesting tidbit about the distinction between Ethnic Studies and Africana studies. Thanks, @TheShadeKing.

I hope the wait hasn't been too terrible for you. Good luck with your applications!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 9:35 PM, blackscholar said:

Hey everyone!

Something weird is happening. I checked UT-Austin's MyStatus portal and suddenly appeared a tab called Housing. It said I am eligible to apply for Housing (?) and when I logged in the housing portal my first and last name and email were on the account. The weirdest thing is that next my classification it has me listed as "Master." 

Anyone else that applied to the African and African American Diaspora Studies program seeing this? I haven't received a formal notice so I'm thinking this could happen for everyone as system glitch.

this housing thing blew up this weekend. The computer science phd were losing it over the results board.

On 1/23/2017 at 4:10 PM, caféconleche said:

also got the rejection email from northwestern. womp. i did hear from berkeley about an interview this coming week -- keeping my fingers crossed! @blackscholar, did the UT Austin housing question get resolved?

Congrats on that.Good luck. I ended up applying last minute as I was going for ethnic studies when a prof in the program was like no you should apply to african american lol.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone has heard back from their programs yet? It feels like every other discipline except ours is starting to hear back. :blink:

4 minutes ago, blackscholar said:

Woo!! Congrats!! I have the same question--any idea of what kinds of questions to expect? 

My best guess? They'll ask us to elaborate on our proposed research.

I have been out of school for a while so my biggest hope is they don't spring a surprise question about a theorist who I should have discussed, lol

When is your interview?

Sorry for the r's everyone. :(

FWIW, a faculty mentor who specializes in AA studies told me that the field is in transition, so programs are super duper selective about applicants bc the job market is so nebulous. 

Hey Y'all,

A little late to the website this season, but I just wanted to say introduce myself.

I work on 20th century African American civil rights history with additional projects in the digital humanities and arts. I applied to University of Pennsylvania - Africana ( upcoming Interview), Cornell - Africana, Northwestern - African American Studies, University of Michigan - American Studies (waitlisted), Brown University - American Studies, Rutgers University - American Studies, University of Delaware - History (accepted)