African-American/Africana/Diaspora Studies/Fall 2017 Applicants

On 2/9/2017 at 8:03 PM, NoirFemme said:

Sorry for the r's everyone. :(

FWIW, a faculty mentor who specializes in AA studies told me that the field is in transition, so programs are super duper selective about applicants bc the job market is so nebulous. 

That's interesting that your mentor would make that comment, as my mentor in AA told me last summer that there are more and more schools seeking AFAM/AMStudies scholars since many are establishing formal programs and departments to keep up with an ever-diversifying academy. My main concern applying for AFAM was indeed the job market, so hearing his advice totally reassured me. I've read elsewhere that out of the core 10-ish doctoral programs in AfAm Studies/Africana Studies, many faculty in the field are likely to retire over the decade which would leave about 10 doctorate granted in the field per year. That leaves a serious need for new scholars in the field. Perhaps shrinking the incoming cohort over time will help balance this out.

3 hours ago, blackscholar said:

That's interesting that your mentor would make that comment, as my mentor in AA told me last summer that there are more and more schools seeking AFAM/AMStudies scholars since many are establishing formal programs and departments to keep up with an ever-diversifying academy. My main concern applying for AFAM was indeed the job market, so hearing his advice totally reassured me. I've read elsewhere that out of the core 10-ish doctoral programs in AfAm Studies/Africana Studies, many faculty in the field are likely to retire over the decade which would leave about 10 doctorate granted in the field per year. That leaves a serious need for new scholars in the field. Perhaps shrinking the incoming cohort over time will help balance this out.

Just to add to the conversation, I've heard scholars mention both sides of the stories. I've also noticed that associate/assistant professors may leave the school where they are comfortable/received tenure and gravitate towards programs who are letting them do more than the traditional body of scholarship.  Projects in the digital humanities, filmmaking, music, etc... seem like they're slowly, but surely receiving more acknowledgement to advancing interdisciplinary scholarship. Many of the topics are focused on bettering the life of POC, but never reach POC because the limitations of scholarly publishing. 

With that said, I also believe that these programs go in cycles of funding. I had a friend who got accepted to Northwestern AFAM studies program a few years ago and they were the only one in their cohort. 

9 hours ago, Interdisc_Scholar said:

Many of the topics are focused on bettering the life of POC, but never reach POC because the limitations of scholarly publishing.

Such an important point. Which is why I'm so excited for these multimedia projects, like you said. 

Hi all,

I am also a little late to the website this season.  I am wondering if anyone has experience or information on the Department of Afro-American Studies at Wisconsin-Madison?  The faculty looks great and I have heard lots of positives about the city and school but I have not seen or heard much about the department itself.

Thanks!

Hey Y'all!  I removed my name out of the applicant pool at U-Penn's Africana Studies Program this morning (had an interview with them earlier this week) and pulled my name off of the waitlist at U-Michigan's American Culture Program. However, I ended the selection process early and accepted an offer from the University of Delaware's Interdisciplinary History Program (5 Years of year round funding).

Wishing everyone luck and strength over the next few months! 

Hi everyone,

I am applying to MA programs to study transnational African American culture.  I have been accepted to Indiana, The Ohio State University, Wisconsin-Madison and waiting on UCLA.  If anyone has any information on these programs I would appreciate it! 

Also, Is it fair to assume that UCLA has already sent out all there acceptances?

Thanks

Anybody have any news from Harvard? So curious to know why it's taking them some time this year to make decisions... the results board says that they accepted people by early February last year .... anyone else equally exhausted waiting to hear back? This waiting game is killer...

On 17/2/2017 at 3:30 PM, Globex said:

Hi everyone,

I am applying to MA programs to study transnational African American culture.  I have been accepted to Indiana, The Ohio State University, Wisconsin-Madison and waiting on UCLA.  If anyone has any information on these programs I would appreciate it! 

Also, Is it fair to assume that UCLA has already sent out all there acceptances?

Thanks

Out of the three, I would say Wisconsin-Madison is your best bet. I spent a year of my undergrad there as an exchange student and got to see first hand the quality of the Department. I was in Gender & Women's Studies so some of our best classes shared the same professors. Also, I would say the campus community in Madison, the student movement and everything going on with anti-racist activism is also a pretty good reason to go there. We are talking about the university made famous by having a "The Problem of Whiteness" class. Their professors are the best of the best, very forward and radical thinking. I think you'll have a great time learning and becoming if you do decide to go to Madison.

23 hours ago, cabraloca said:

Out of the three, I would say Wisconsin-Madison is your best bet. I spent a year of my undergrad there as an exchange student and got to see first hand the quality of the Department. I was in Gender & Women's Studies so some of our best classes shared the same professors. Also, I would say the campus community in Madison, the student movement and everything going on with anti-racist activism is also a pretty good reason to go there. We are talking about the university made famous by having a "The Problem of Whiteness" class. Their professors are the best of the best, very forward and radical thinking. I think you'll have a great time learning and becoming if you do decide to go to Madison.

Thank you very much for your thoughts!! I appreciate it