Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

14 minutes ago, nhhistorynut said:

Can I ask what your specialty is/will be? You guys could all move to the Boston area for the time being and reapply all around next year. Brown is only an hour away, there are about 1.45 billion history PhD programs in Mass (I kid, but there are a LOT), and then there's UNH in NH where I hope to go, again only an hour from Boston. So you could get settled and then just commute to wherever once you get in. Just a thought :) Don't lose hope!

Colonial history with a focus on cultural history/civilian experience. Unfortunately I only really looked at UNH when it was too late, so that wasn't in the mix. I plan to live in Worcester (family reasons), so commuting was always going to be my plan.

6 minutes ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Colonial history with a focus on cultural history/civilian experience. Unfortunately I only really looked at UNH when it was too late, so that wasn't in the mix. I plan to live in Worcester (family reasons), so commuting was always going to be my plan.

well if you don't get in this round, check UNH out next year! Worcester isn't super far from Durham, and UNH has really strong colonial history faculty. It's a small program, only 2-3 people get admitted each year, but It has some really successful people there. My POI is Jason Sokol (US civil rights/African American history) and when we talked on the phone last week he said it's nice having it be so small because everyone knows everyone and the faculty make themselves available.

Aaaaah I got into NYU's history and french studies joint phd!!!!!!!!!! I am over the moon to have gotten in anywhere. I had myself convinced I might not make it this cycle. 

I don't have any details on funding yet because I only got an email from my POI saying that the two departments recommended me for admission, and that I'll be getting a formal acceptance email w/all that other stuff soon. 

Did anyone else hear from NYU? Is anyone else doing the joint phd w/french studies?

25 minutes ago, realmarcelproust said:

Aaaaah I got into NYU's history and french studies joint phd!!!!!!!!!! I am over the moon to have gotten in anywhere. I had myself convinced I might not make it this cycle. 

I don't have any details on funding yet because I only got an email from my POI saying that the two departments recommended me for admission, and that I'll be getting a formal acceptance email w/all that other stuff soon. 

Did anyone else hear from NYU? Is anyone else doing the joint phd w/french studies?

Congrats! I would have loved to go there, but I ended up not applying because my POI said he was thinking of retiring soon and there wasn't anyone else who would have been as good a fit.

1 hour ago, realmarcelproust said:

@OHSP I got an email from my POI this afternoon. I don't know if my timeline is different from yours, though, because I was admitted to the joint PhD program? Will let you know if I hear any other details!

Thanks! I'm already in at a school I would probably choose over NYU (NYU is a long shot for me - far from a great fit) but, still, I just want answers! 

Edited by OHSP

Congrats to everyone who got admission and all the best for those waiting!

I got an email from POI from Columbia last week that I got into the program but have not yet received an official letter from the school or department. Should I worry? 

Edited by catofthesecondstreet

22 minutes ago, catofthesecondstreet said:

Congrats to everyone who got admission and all the best for those waiting!

I got an email from POI from Columbia last week that I got into the program but have not yet received an official letter from the school or department. Should I worry? 

Nope. I got an acceptance call last week and didn't get the official letter until yesterday.

So much good news today, congrats you guys!! :)

I also got some good news today, I got into the MPhil in Medieval History at Trinity College Dublin! Very happy about this, although they've given me until the end of the month to give them an answer and I'm a little anxious about this because I won't have heard back from all of my schools by then. I've asked for an extension and hopefully that works out. Still, I am extremely grateful and stunned that I already hold three offers, I never thought I would actually have the luxury to get to choose between schools!

Also, @nhhistorynut, can we talk about how much I love your profile picture??!

1 hour ago, OHSP said:

Update from Wisconsin Madison - I just received an offer via email from the DGS. It's a great fit for my work so I'm very happy - it looks like this is a week for hearing back. 

Congrats!!! I hope I hear back soon! Going to be anxiously checking email and the portal. 

Hey all, I've got news from Vanderbilt -- I was chatting with one of my professors today (I'm still an undergrad there for 3 more months!) and she told me that they're only admitting 12 people to fill 7 spots this year. They took on a really big cohort last year, so there isn't as much funding as usual. She said letters *should* be going out by the end of next week, but don't quote me on that.

On that note, if anyone has questions about Vanderbilt or Nashville, please reach out to me. My wife and I have lived off-campus for 2 years now, so I've got a pretty good handle on the lay of the land.

15 hours ago, russianblue said:

True! That comment was mostly referring to NYU, who came back around the end of January last year. And it seems that some of Chicago's decisions have gone out unofficially, but the dead silence is making me nervous. 

I am glad that Columbia seems to send acceptances/rejections out around the same time. Being in the limbo of am I in or out, when at least some admittees seem to know, is probably the worst part for me. 

Hello all, 

Long-time lurker here. About Chicago: according to one of my POIs, admissions were cut in half this year because the department admitted too many people the last two years. I was offered a funded masters a few days ago – in lieu of the PhD – but haven't received official notice. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, though. Some POIs are just not as communicative about the status of your application as others are. Case in point: was just accepted to Columbia via the portal. No word from my POI. Don't lose hope yet! 

20 hours ago, russianblue said:

Thus far, my research has been early 20th Century as I've been focusing on the emigres who fled the Revolution, but I'd like to reach back a little further into Imperial Russian history.

Yes, emigres fleeing the Revolution were quite a few. But non-jewish emigres during Imperial Russia, I'd have thought them to be few and far in between. I'm intrigued, that's interesting. Would you only be concentrating on Russia proper (so Russian slavs) or also looking to German Russians in the Balkans, and Ukrainians?