Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

2 hours ago, realmarcelproust said:

I did too!!! Congrats to you, and good luck to everyone else. I'm over the moon. 

2 hours ago, OHSP said:

I just received an offer to U Penn and am so enormously relieved/happy! Hopefully this is a good news week for everyone. 

Congrats both of you! :D 

2 hours ago, Neist said:

Congrats both of you! :D 

Thanks! I'm feeling very appreciative of this thread now that I'm nearing the light at the end of the tunnel and leaving the total hellscape that has been waiting! Your advice has been appreciated.

Longtime lurker here! Congrats to @realmarcelproust and @OHSP on your Penn acceptances! I was just accepted too.

A couple of questions for everyone:

1. What's the best way to reply to the DGS, letting him know you won't be able to make the visiting day? I live a 15-16 hour flight away so there's no way I can justify it.

2. Is it common practice to email your POIs (in addition to the DGS) to thank them for the acceptance?

8 minutes ago, zeev said:

Longtime lurker here! Congrats to @realmarcelproust and @OHSP on your Penn acceptances! I was just accepted too.

1. What's the best way to reply to the DGS, letting him know you won't be able to make the visiting day? I live a 15-16 hour flight away so there's no way I can justify it.

2. Is it common practice to email your POIs (in addition to the DGS) to thank them for the acceptance?

Congrats!!

Alas...does this mean that all acceptances were sent out? My sub-field is East Asian history and despite the interview I had in early Feb there is no news yet...

(It would be extremely tragic for me since I'd have to reapply in this fall if I didn't get in...Penn is the last school I'm waiting to hear back)

1 hour ago, zeev said:

1. No big deal, this things happens. Just thank them for the invitation, but explain that for logistics/work reasons you will not be able to attend.

2. Err... I wouldn't, but I'm international so I am not soaked with the thank you culture of the US. (This means that I am both not expected and excused for not sending an expected thank you note). I didn't thank them, they just waited until I accepted to send me a "we are so happy" e-mail. And then we met when I moved there in the fall. Maybe you can send them the thank you once you accept/decline the offer. 

Edited by AP

On 2/13/2017 at 4:50 PM, Kbelt25 said:

Hi, there! My POI informed me that the committee finished reviewing applications on the sixth of this month. I was told that the department is preparing notifications. You should be hearing from them soon. 

Thanks for the reply! Have you got notification yet? I saw 2 posts on the Results and they said they got the emails on Feb 10. Assuming the department would send all Acceptances at once, I'm pretty nervous:/ 

Waitlisted at Penn now, too; still have to hear from three more schools, but starting to get nervous and (unproductively) regretting not having prepared more for my interview...  

Edited by Walhonding
additional point

14 hours ago, realmarcelproust said:

@ziggysunshine I was also wondering about travel reimbursements for NYU... I was also admitted to the joint PhD with the IFS, and all of my contact has been with my POI there who, though he trained as a historian (w/my undergrad thesis advisor actually lol), he's technically in NYU's French department. All that's to say I haven't yet spoken to anyone from the NYU's actual history department. Though I do know that the admitted student visit days are March 3-4, if that helps. 

Hey there! Right, I got confirmation from my POI in history that the days are March 3-4. He also seems to think that our travel costs will be completely reimbursed, but I think that perhaps we ought to email the grad coordinator to ask and be sure. Hilariously, I also saw on the thread above that you received an offer of admission from Rutgers- I did as well! They mentioned their visiting days will be March 7th and March 8th. :) Will you be going to both visit weekends? Or are you set more on UPenn?

18 hours ago, OHSP said:

I shamelessly emailed the graduate administrator :) Not my finest moment but the endless waiting is getting to me. 

Aha, well someone had to do it! :) Thanks a lot. Now I'm just sitting here nervously and wondering when the rejection will come...

To people flying in from far away:

How have you decided which visiting days to attend? I'm still waiting on four schools; have been accepted at one of my top choices and waitlisted at the other. Am trying to figure out if I should attend the visiting days of the latter schools (in other words, buy tickets now), or wait to hear back from the last four before booking tickets. And it would be rather presumptuous to email asking when visiting days are before being admitted or waitlisted… Any advice is much appreciated!

14 minutes ago, laleph said:

How have you decided which visiting days to attend? I'm still waiting on four schools; have been accepted at one of my top choices and waitlisted at the other. Am trying to figure out if I should attend the visiting days of the latter schools (in other words, buy tickets now), or wait to hear back from the last four before booking tickets. And it would be rather presumptuous to email asking when visiting days are before being admitted or waitlisted… Any advice is much appreciated!

I'm flying in from Belgium, so I think that's pretty far! I have three acceptances so far, but for me it will be kind of easy to see them all because they're all located fairly close to one another, geographically speaking. Of course, their visit days are on disparate weekends, so I think what I'm going to do is email my second and third choices and ask them if I can arrange to visit them on a day that is not part of the formal visit week. That way, I can just stack all of the visits together within a week's time frame, and then get back to Belgium pretty quickly afterwards.

15 minutes ago, ziggysunshine said:

Also, I wanted to report back to you guys on the board- but I received an acceptance to Princeton yesterday! I am SO overjoyed! Is anyone else on here planning on coming to the hosting weekend?

Congrats! Amazing.

32 minutes ago, laleph said:

My schools are scattered around the place and their visit days are not particularly close together, so I'll only be going to Duke's weekend (largely because they're paying for flights etc). Duke's the school I'm most iffy about in terms of location so it works out. I'd really like to go to the UPenn visit but it's difficult to justify flying to the other side of the world twice in one month. I'm TA-ing and finishing my MA at the moment, otherwise I'd consider trying to take a few weeks to visit places. **Edit to say if you can afford to visit your top choice admit I'd just book tickets right away. 

Edited by OHSP

23 minutes ago, ziggysunshine said:

Also, I wanted to report back to you guys on the board- but I received an acceptance to Princeton yesterday! I am SO overjoyed! Is anyone else on here planning on coming to the hosting weekend?

Congrats! That's so amazing!

14 minutes ago, realmarcelproust said:

Does anyone know (or, rather, has anyone heard) anything about Yale and Cornell? I'm 95% sure Penn is the one for me anyway, but it would be nice to hear something either way. 

@realmarcelproust I received an offer from Yale last week. 

2 hours ago, OHSP said:

Congrats! Amazing.

My schools are scattered around the place and their visit days are not particularly close together, so I'll only be going to Duke's weekend (largely because they're paying for flights etc). Duke's the school I'm most iffy about in terms of location so it works out. I'd really like to go to the UPenn visit but it's difficult to justify flying to the other side of the world twice in one month. I'm TA-ing and finishing my MA at the moment, otherwise I'd consider trying to take a few weeks to visit places. **Edit to say if you can afford to visit your top choice admit I'd just book tickets right away. 

If you really want to go visit, would it be possible to ask them if you could visit at some point other than the specified days? It's probably quite a bit less expensive to fly from North Carolina to Pennsylvania, so maybe you could save money and time by planning to visit Duke and Penn back to back? That way you can save on some time and probably some money and still get to see both places before making a final decision.

40 minutes ago, laleph said:

I don't have any brilliant advice, I'm afraid. I have also been going through fee woes because I've had to change/cancel tickets a couple times now. 

In the best/worst case scenario, I guess you would be accepted to all remaining four, at different times, and then be unable to accommodate all into your travel plans. But maybe then you could group a few late visits together, separate from the official visiting day. the department would generally be happy to schedule meetings with a few profs/students for you while you're there. it won't be the same as the proper prospective student event, but i bet you could still draw a lot from those visits.

congratulations on your offers, and good luck!

3 hours ago, laleph said:

It's really tricky, the only way I'm making it work is because I have friends on the East Coast I can stay with in between campus visits and I'm busy writing my MA thesis so have flexi time but it will be quite disruptive in any case. I feel it's really important for my decision-making though so the benefits outweigh the costs.

Incidentally, I actually did contact one of the schools to find out about visiting days. I had to apply for a visa which takes at least two weeks so I wanted to work their campus visit in (I only asked for the dates, not the status of my application). For those of us travelling internationally and who need visas it's not really possible to leave the travel bookings to the last minute so I didn't feel presumptuous doing it. 

Hi guys, kind of a weird thing happened to me today. As I went through my normal process of neurotically logging on and checking the status of the schools I have left, I went on to my GWU account and it is blank. Just the other day when I logged on it showed me that my application was 100% complete and said it was being reviewed as it has ever since I first submitted it. Now all that is there is something that says "My Events" and nothing else. There aren't any links to click on or anything. I also haven't heard from anyone at GWU so it's not like I have been admitted or rejected and they cleared my application (as far as I know).

Anyone know anything or have a similar experience?

Edit: It seems there was a problem with the version of Chrome I was using. Nothing new to report!

Edited by Antebellum
Problem resolved

On 2/14/2017 at 5:23 AM, Donghai said:

Thanks for the reply! Have you got notification yet? I saw 2 posts on the Results and they said they got the emails on Feb 10. Assuming the department would send all Acceptances at once, I'm pretty nervous:/ 

You're welcome. I tried replying yesterday, but I kept getting an error code.

I haven't heard back yet. There has been complete silence since I received that email from my POI. I'm also incredibly nervous... I've been so anxious and distracted about it.

Have you heard back yet? 

4 hours ago, OHSP said:

Congrats! Amazing.

4 hours ago, voprosi said:

Congrats! That's so amazing!

Thank you so much, you guys! :) You two also really kick ass- you both have some great places to go to, iirc.