Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

8 minutes ago, russianblue said:

Is anyone else who was admitted to UVA going to the prospective students days? If so, I have an extra bed in the Airbnb that I've booked that I can offer up!

I'm going in March, because I'm coming from the UK and couldn't make it work for the end of February - but just wanted to say that that is a super kind offer  :)

Thanks to all for your answers to my query regarding visiting days!

In other news, just now while trying to type "gradcafe" into my search history, I got "gradcage." Hmmm...

Edited by laleph

5 hours ago, angesradieux said:

If you really want to go visit, would it be possible to ask them if you could visit at some point other than the specified days? It's probably quite a bit less expensive to fly from North Carolina to Pennsylvania, so maybe you could save money and time by planning to visit Duke and Penn back to back? That way you can save on some time and probably some money and still get to see both places before making a final decision.

Unfortunately Duke booked my flights in and out of the US a while ago, so I can't really add anything on at the end. It's like they knew.

10 minutes ago, OHSP said:

Unfortunately Duke booked my flights in and out of the US a while ago, so I can't really add anything on at the end. It's like they knew.

That does complicate things. The places I'm visiting are reimbursing travel fees rather than paying upfront. On the one hand, it must be nice not to have to worry about putting out the money initially.  On the other, I appreciated having some flexibility while I was making plans. But it does work out well if Duke is the one you're most unsure about.

15 hours ago, Kbelt25 said:

You're welcome. I tried replying yesterday, but I kept getting an error code.

I haven't heard back yet. There has been complete silence since I received that email from my POI. I'm also incredibly nervous... I've been so anxious and distracted about it.

Have you heard back yet? 

It's ok! My POIs actually interviewed me yesterday, and the interview was pretty short-about 15mins or so. I think I would get the result very soon, possibly some time this week. What's your subfield?

On 2/13/2017 at 3:52 PM, sovietviolinist said:

helpful, thanks much! It's an unusual program, so not much on the results boards.

Yeah I know. I don't know if you had a lot of contact with them before hand but I went and spoke to the Head of the department in October in person. I grew up in the town next door. FYI it is an EXTREMELY small program. 2-3 in "general" history, 1-2 admitted every year for Holocaust studies. 

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Got news on Valentine's Day that I am waitlisted at Brandeis on a "very short list." I don't think anyone has ever felt so happy to be in the waitlist. Feeling extremely hopeful 

Well that's not a positive sign for me. Lol. I'm hearing nothing but crickets across the board--including at Brandeis. :-/

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:23 AM, OHSP said:

Congrats! Amazing.

My schools are scattered around the place and their visit days are not particularly close together, so I'll only be going to Duke's weekend (largely because they're paying for flights etc). Duke's the school I'm most iffy about in terms of location so it works out. I'd really like to go to the UPenn visit but it's difficult to justify flying to the other side of the world twice in one month. I'm TA-ing and finishing my MA at the moment, otherwise I'd consider trying to take a few weeks to visit places. **Edit to say if you can afford to visit your top choice admit I'd just book tickets right away. 

I used to work at Duke and lived in Chapel Hill for 6 years. Durham and the Triangle is a great area! I loved living there. Plus you get to share resources with UNC

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Who on here just wants Harvard to go ahead and put us out of our misery? *raises hand*

Dunno if this means anything, but yesterday I got the official notice of my status on the supposedly "short" waitlist. Does anyone have any idea what a "short" waitlist means?

Just got Harvard rejection for history/east asian languages and cultures. Rejection letter was much nicer than last year haha. I assume I didn't get into the rest of my schools since I haven't heard from them (though last I heard Georgetown hadn't made decisions, but they're not the best fit anyways). Looks like I'll be going to University of Michigan!

2 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Got news on Valentine's Day that I am waitlisted at Brandeis on a "very short list." I don't think anyone has ever felt so happy to be in the waitlist. Feeling extremely hopeful 

I'm glad for you -- hoping for more good news!

12 hours ago, a.n.d said:

Anyone had any news from South Carolina or Tennessee yet? 

Also, congrats on all the acceptances!

I applied to Tennessee and haven't heard anything back yet... just like 8 other schools to which I applied, haha. Hopefully we will both get some good news soon!

2 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Who on here just wants Harvard to go ahead and put us out of our misery? *raises hand*

I already wrote emails to professors who wrote my recommendation letters to apologize to them that I didn't get in Harvard or UPenn though I don't currently have the rejection letter and I'm gonna reapply this year.

They already replied with kindness, surprise, and encouragement (mostly surprise) so it may be a problem if by some miracle I was not rejected....

I know, I am just weird.... 

Ok, 15 min later after this ^ post I got an email to check website and Harvard's released my rejection. :P 

Edited by AnUglyBoringNerd

I believe UConn will be sending out their acceptances and rejections soon. I just got the email indicating that I was waitlisted. Which is disappointing, but by the same token, last time I applied to Ph.D. programs, I was just outright rejected from all 8, so being on the waitlist is a welcome improvement. Fingers crossed. :-)

13 hours ago, navyblackmaroon said:

Congratulations! Paul Gillingham is a great guy. In fact, the entire Latin Americanist group at NU is very friendly.

Great to see Latin Americanists in the thread. Congrats on NU, @npliegoc! I am a big fan of Gillingham and his work. :) Seriously a great mentor for Mexicanists, congrats!

On 2/15/2017 at 1:00 PM, BeepBeepBoop said:

I'm going in March, because I'm coming from the UK and couldn't make it work for the end of February - but just wanted to say that that is a super kind offer  :)

I know they're reimbursing for some travel, but I know not everyone may have the upfront cash for accommodations, so I thought I'd offer! What is your field of study?

3 hours ago, EricaMac said:

I believe UConn will be sending out their acceptances and rejections soon. I just got the email indicating that I was waitlisted.

I'm in the same boat with UCONN, friend. Their letter was really kind, though. What's your sub-field/POI? The other program I applied to is a PhD in education, and I got an invitation to interview with them yesterday, so at least I have that cushion.