Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

On 2/15/2017 at 10:08 PM, navyblackmaroon said:

Congratulations! Paul Gillingham is a great guy. In fact, the entire Latin Americanist group at NU is very friendly.

Thank you! and that's good to know. I'll be going up to NW in a few weeks and I'm excited to meet the faculty and students there.

On 2/16/2017 at 11:12 AM, krystasonrisa said:

Great to see Latin Americanists in the thread. Congrats on NU, @npliegoc! I am a big fan of Gillingham and his work. :) Seriously a great mentor for Mexicanists, congrats!

@krystasonrisa, yes! i haven't seen too many on here. and I've heard great things about him from current students. but i'm excited to meet him and others in a few weeks

On 2/18/2017 at 1:02 PM, betwixt&between said:

My focus is social inequality and marginalization in the US, utilizing race and class. I was looking to work with Jeffrey Ogbar, or Melanie Newport. Will you be attending the Prosective Students weekend?

Probably not. My parents have set up a family vacation to Florida--there are five of us siblings, plus our spouses, plus my sister's kids, my daughter, AND my parents--and we're leaving on the 1st of April. I could theoretically go up on the Friday, and I may do that just to give my daughter and husband an idea of where we might be, but....I'm not sure. :-/ 

Hey everyone! I've got a question this time around--when is it appropriate to email a program and ask about your application status? I have a friend who has heard back from OSU with a rejection, but I was under the impression they'd already sent acceptances out. My portal is still telling me its "pending" and I'm going crazy.

I also have a POI at my only acceptance asking me if I have any other offers. He seems very eager to know, so it's making me a little nervous that I don't have any updates to give him. I know he's probably just trying to get a sense of where I stand, but still!

On 2/17/2017 at 2:48 PM, BeepBeepBoop said:

We definitely should! And in the meantime I hope you enjoy and benefit from the visit :) Not in anywhere else so far - I haven't heard back from any of the other programs I applied to, although the only one that's sent out responses is Near Eastern Studies at Princeton, so I'm assuming rejection. But it was rather a poor fit for me (plus, you know, it *is* Princeton).

I did wonder if your username was a clue! We skipped through a little Imperial Russian history during a course I took for my MA, but not in as much detail as I'd have liked. The bilingual schools in I-P topic is a fascinating one - it symbolises so much of what's going on over there...

Oops, missed your reply at first!

It was a very interesting paper to write, I wish I'd kept up a little better on the topic. I'm in a very similar boat though--so far I'm only in at UVA, waiting to hear back from a variety of other places, but its looking like UVA is going to be it for me. I'm starting to get nervous about the apartment/roommate finding process!

5 hours ago, npliegoc said:

Thank you! and that's good to know. I'll be going up to NW in a few weeks and I'm excited to meet the faculty and students there.

I've been shamelessly reading all of these posts and staying quiet until now, but I also got into NW and wanted to say hi! When are you going to visit? I'll be there March 2-4. 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:23 AM, krystasonrisa said:

And I haven't heard anything from FIU, and there's so little data on the Reaults board it's hard to tell anything about their process. 

FIU Is not terribly consistent, but I think in theory they accept some (3-4) early admits in January and the rest of the offers are very late. I got mine for MA like April 12th. Hang in there!

On 2/16/2017 at 11:27 PM, voprosi said:

I also received news that I was waitlisted at Harvard. Are you planning to stay on the waitlist? In my field, history programs usually take 1-2 people at most per year, so I'm assuming if one person in my field declines their spot, I would get off the waitlist. I don't have high hopes though -- it is Harvard, so I don't think the likelihood of someone declining would be pretty slim. 

Harvard has one waitlist (it's not based on how many decline for your subfield, just the overall history program), and I think last year there had to be six declines to go to waitlist. I would keep your spot if it's where you want to be!

4 hours ago, jayray11 said:

FIU Is not terribly consistent, but I think in theory they accept some (3-4) early admits in January and the rest of the offers are very late. I got mine for MA like April 12th. Hang in there!

Thank you for this input! I am really hoping to get the chance to work with Dr. Premo :) 

But after T H R E E application seasons, I got my first PhD admit! It still doesn't feel real? But I'm sure I'm 100000% happy about it. I was admitted to Pitt, and I love the work Putnam does (and it's actually in my region!) and I'm v interested in children's literature, and there's literally no better place to be than Pitt for that. 

Congrats to the other UPitt admits! And good luck to those still waiting to hear back. :) 

I'm still waiting on IU, anyone ese? I feel like IU is a stretch for me because my GPA and GRE are pretty middle of the pack, but I name dropped ;) jk, but I am hoping our mutual relationship with the UCR (Costa Rica), will give me some sort of "great fit" edge. I'm so anxious! 

Edited by krystasonrisa
I never proof read before submit because that's who I am as a person. :/

28 minutes ago, krystasonrisa said:

I was admitted to Pitt, and I love the work Putnam does (and it's actually in my region!) and I'm v interested in children's literature, and there's literally no better place to be than Pitt 

I love Lara Putnam's work! Out of my region and periodization, but so good! Congrats!

5 hours ago, jayray11 said:

Harvard has one waitlist (it's not based on how many decline for your subfield, just the overall history program), and I think last year there had to be six declines to go to waitlist. I would keep your spot if it's where you want to be!

Thanks for the info! I think I will keep my spot :) 

5 hours ago, krystasonrisa said:

I'm still waiting on IU, anyone ese? I feel like IU is a stretch for me because my GPA and GRE are pretty middle of the pack, but I name dropped ;) jk, but I am hoping our mutual relationship with the UCR (Costa Rica), will give me some sort of "great fit" edge. I'm so anxious! 

IU as in Indiana, yes? (Think I'm remembering things correctly...) I'm still waiting on them. I'm fairly sure it's waitlist or unfunded Masters at this point for me. I'm kinda disappointed. I got into another program that I'm 100% a-ok with, but IU was such a good fit for me...at least I thought so, anyway. Meh. Can go there for the intensive summer language program I badly need regardless of whether I get into the PhD program.

9 hours ago, krystasonrisa said:

Thank you for this input! I am really hoping to get the chance to work with Dr. Premo :) 

But after T H R E E application seasons, I got my first PhD admit! It still doesn't feel real? But I'm sure I'm 100000% happy about it. I was admitted to Pitt, and I love the work Putnam does (and it's actually in my region!) and I'm v interested in children's literature, and there's literally no better place to be than Pitt for that. 

Congrats to the other UPitt admits! And good luck to those still waiting to hear back. :) 

Congrats! I love Putnam's work - I'm not really in her region but her recent article on the digital/transnational turns was so on point. It'd be great to work with her - exciting! 

3 hours ago, mementomoria said:

IU as in Indiana, yes? (Think I'm remembering things correctly...) I'm still waiting on them. I'm fairly sure it's waitlist or unfunded Masters at this point for me. I'm kinda disappointed. I got into another program that I'm 100% a-ok with, but IU was such a good fit for me...at least I thought so, anyway. Meh. Can go there for the intensive summer language program I badly need regardless of whether I get into the PhD program.

@mementomoria, I hope you get back positive news! What's your subfield? I would be happy with anything at Indiana that's funded, tbh. They're a perfect fit and only 3 hours from my grandma. ;) 

And @OHSP, thank you! I love her work on the circulation of internationalism, and she's done significant, though mostly unpublished, work on migrant children. So excited!! 

@KLZ, thank you!!

48 minutes ago, krystasonrisa said:

@mementomoria, I hope you get back positive news! What's your subfield? I would be happy with anything at Indiana that's funded, tbh. They're a perfect fit and only 3 hours from my grandma. ;) 

I study the Balkans, in particular the constitutional/legal history of Yugoslavia. IU is one of a few places that actually offers Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian on a regular basis and at higher levels. Not to mention all the rad Eastern European scholars there! I sort of have a different academic background (I have a JD as well as a MA), and I had an awesome convo/exchange with IU law's constitutional scholar, but I'm sure that counts for just about zero when it comes to getting the nod from the history admissions committee. The DGS at my current school was actually telling me about how a JD would hurt more than help at getting into PhD programs...? Don't know how true that is, though.

But yes! I'd take anything at IU that was funded too. I just can't do an unfunded terminal MA. I would have even probably taken that, if I didn't already have 150k in debt from law school...I'm honestly not sure whether I could even get more loans at this point!

11 hours ago, sovietviolinist said:

Accepted to Masters at Harvard. - an honor, but I want a PhD program. 

Accepted to PhD at UC Boulder with excellent funding. 

Waiting on UCR, Clark, and Chicago (assuming no).

:) Anyone going to Boulder in March?

Congrats on the acceptance!

Anyone hear anything official from Vanderbilt? I've been contacted by faculty and about the visit days, but the first professor I heard from reached out to me over a week ago, but I still haven't gotten an official letter yet. I'm starting to get a little concerned. I'm trying to tell myself they wouldn't have wasted the time contacting me about visit days if things were still up in the air, but in the back of my mind I'm starting to wonder if maybe they've changed their mind about me.

13 minutes ago, angesradieux said:

Congrats on the acceptance!

Anyone hear anything official from Vanderbilt? I've been contacted by faculty and about the visit days, but the first professor I heard from reached out to me over a week ago, but I still haven't gotten an official letter yet. I'm starting to get a little concerned. I'm trying to tell myself they wouldn't have wasted the time contacting me about visit days if things were still up in the air, but in the back of my mind I'm starting to wonder if maybe they've changed their mind about me.

Yeah, I got a rejection from Vanderbilt last Friday (as well as Columbia and Virginia in case anyone is looking for info on those :unsure:). So you've definitely made it past a wave of rejections regarding Vandy and it sounds like you're in! I seriously doubt they would be contacting you about that stuff if you weren't, so take heart!

12 hours ago, krystasonrisa said:

Congrats! I actually graduated from undergrad (History, Literature double major) from Pitt and now work there. Putnam is amazingly friendly and personable. PM me if you want any other info about the History Department (or English Department, the Children's Literature Certificate) or about living in Pittsburgh, housing, campus, etc!

21 minutes ago, JKL said:

Programs could at least refund your application fee when they reject you. What a sweet deal that is for them. I guess we were dumb enough to pay it though.

The cost is one of the things that surprised me on these boards. I was shocked so many people were able to pay the fees for 8, 9, 10, or more applications. That's hundreds of dollars just to apply, which is insane. I applied to only one PhD program this season, and only begrudgingly handed over the $65 fee. Luckily I got in, so I don't have to do it again, but my plan was to start saving now if I didn't get in, because I'd need a few hundred bucks to throw around next near!

3 minutes ago, nhhistorynut said:

The cost is one of the things that surprised me on these boards. I was shocked so many people were able to pay the fees for 8, 9, 10, or more applications. That's hundreds of dollars just to apply, which is insane. I applied to only one PhD program this season, and only begrudgingly handed over the $65 fee. Luckily I got in, so I don't have to do it again, but my plan was to start saving now if I didn't get in, because I'd need a few hundred bucks to throw around next near!

I wish they all used something like Common App so you could just send one copy of transcripts/GRE scores. I understand needing to fund administration costs/etc. for applications, and it does make people a little more selective about where to apply, but I really really wish that I hadn't had to spend ~300 JUST on sending GRE scores out!