Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

23 minutes ago, RageoftheMonkey said:

That seems like something you might regret in the future -- there will always be the "what if I didn't withdraw" question... I think you should stick it out til the end!

I know. But I have to make a decision about where I'm going to be next year very very soon. Logistically I'm not going to be one of those people who might be able to take a spot at a school the week before classes start (It's rare, but I've heard of it happening.) When I applied the thought that this would drag on for this long never crossed my mind, but at this point I have to be pragmatic about the situation. I'm giving it until next Friday to figure out what I'm going to do.

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

As a follow up, what does everyone think about the realistic timeline for being informed from the waitlist? I've stopped following up with my two schools. I'm honestly operating under the assumption that I'm not getting in. I know of two people who turned down offers in the last two weeks to my top choice, and considering that I didn't get a phone call about any open spots, I'm assuming that I was not as high on the waitlist as I was led to believe. I know April 15th is two weeks away, but it does seem as though both schools would know something by now. I'm considering withdrawing from the waitlists and moving on at this point.

I am meeting with one school on Monday because I was invited up there...but considering I have not heard anything concrete, I feel like it is more an opportunity to discuss possibly applying next  year, which I will not be doing.

I'm not sure how common it is, but my old boss' husband got off a waitlist with funding a week before school started. And I've heard a few other stories similar to that.

I don't think getting off a waitlist in the summer is exceptionally uncommon, and even if you're lower on the list, you could still get into a program because everyone above you has already promised elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I'm not sure how common it is, but my old boss' husband got off a waitlist with funding a week before school started. And I've heard a few other stories similar to that.

I don't think getting off a waitlist in the summer is exceptionally uncommon, and even if you're lower on the list, you could still get into a program because everyone above you has already promised elsewhere. 

I've heard stories like that. An adjunct I had once got a call two days before school started and she accepted. That's the problem, though. First of all, I just don't know if I have the emotional fortitude to keep dealing with this until the summer. Also, I'm in the tough spot of being a couple of weeks away from being offered a full time position at the company I am currently contracting for. If I wait too long and I do not get accepted off the waitlist, I miss out on both opportunities. And practically speaking, you have to pay your bills sometimes. If I turn down the full time position, it is very apparent I don't plan to stay at the company, which means in all likelihood the contract ends. This would be fine obviously if I had a school to go to, if I play the long game too long I will wind up unemployed AND not a student.

Keep on the waitlists until April 15, certainly.  Until then, it's all in the air.

If you're high on the list, something good might happen.  If not, you won't hurt anyone.

Also, if one of your schools invited you in before the 15th, they may be trying to figure out what they want to do.  This is a lousy time of year to be putting effort out on that kind of courtesy if they mean nothing by it.

Edited by Concordia

5 minutes ago, Concordia said:

Keep on the waitlists until April 15, certainly.  Until then, it's all in the air.

If you're high on the list, something good might happen.  If not, you won't hurt anyone.

Also, if one of your schools invited you in before the 15th, they may be trying to figure out what they want to do.  This is a lousy time of year to be putting effort out on that kind of courtesy if they mean nothing by it.

Yeah, the invitation is the biggest mystery of this whole thing to be honest. I'm meeting with my potential advisor, who is also the Director of Graduate Studies. He's also invited a couple of current students to sit in so I can speak with them. Everything about that is obviously positive, but the fact that I have not heard anything about what my realistic chances are makes it very difficult to get a gauge on what to do. I've been on the waitlist now for almost 7 weeks. My boyfriend thinks there's a possibility that the advisor knows something and just figured he would wait until he saw me in person. It's a possibility, but this waitlist thing has messed with my brain so much that I feel like I can't make heads or tails or anything at this point.

33 minutes ago, Concordia said:

Before you go, decide if you'd accept on the spot or if you really prefer the other.  

If things don't go badly over lunch, they might intend to surprise you with an exploding offer.

No question in my mind, if they offer something I will need no time to consider. I'll sign the paperwork right there.

5 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

When is everyone thinking they will make their final decisions - if you haven't done so already? I have notice a lot of people considering offers down to the wire.

I think I have decided where I'm going. I think.

I'm still on the waitlist for University of Michigan. However, I've just learned that Michigan and Northwestern are part of the Big 10, which operates a visiting scholars program, where Big 10 doctoral students can spend up to one academic year at any of the other schools. So if I choose N, I could spend a year at Michigan, and vice versa. 

This option makes the choice between N vs a program on the east coast thornier--being on the east coast gives me access to archives and scholars from DC up to Boston. However, Rutgers and University of Maryland are Big 10 schools, and therefore eligible for that academic year visit. :wacko:

5 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

I'm giving it until next Friday to figure out what I'm going to do.

I'd suggest giving it until the 17th. The 15th is the date schools require an answer, so you can probably expect an answer pretty soon after if not before. I'd hate for you to withdraw a week before an acceptance would come. I'd also say, why withdraw at all? If you don't hear anything, take it as a loss, but keep your hat in the ring and move on. Who knows? Maybe in June you'll get a call and have a big decision to make. Even if you opt not to take it, at least you'd know you could.

Edited by nhhistorynut

2 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

I think I have decided where I'm going. I think.

I'm still on the waitlist for University of Michigan. However, I've just learned that Michigan and Northwestern are part of the Big 10, which operates a visiting scholars program, where Big 10 doctoral students can spend up to one academic year at any of the other schools. So if I choose N, I could spend a year at Michigan, and vice versa. 

This option makes the choice between N vs a program on the east coast thornier--being on the east coast gives me access to archives and scholars from DC up to Boston. However, Rutgers and University of Maryland are Big 10 schools, and therefore eligible for that academic year visit. :wacko:

Do you have a sense of what the offer from Michigan might be? How does it compare to what you have in front of you? Being able to visit other programs is pretty small potatoes - there are lots of different ways to do this!

Edited by telkanuru

1 minute ago, telkanuru said:

Do you have a sense of what the offer from Michigan might be? How does it compare to what you have in front of you?

Yes, they included my funding package with the waitlist email. Unfortunately, for such a fantastic program, the offer is about $10k lower than my other offers. The main reason why I'm holding on is because American Studies is where my research feels most at home, and Michigan is the only place that said yes(ish).

1 hour ago, nhhistorynut said:

I'd suggest giving it until the 17th. The 15th is the date schools require an answer, so you can probably expect an answer pretty soon after if not before. I'd hate for you to withdraw a week before an acceptance would come. I'd also say, why withdraw at all? If you don't hear anything, take it as a loss, but keep your hat in the ring and move on. Who knows? Maybe in June you'll get a call and have a big decision to make. Even if you opt not to take it, at least you'd know you could.

I get what you're saying about the 17th. That's probably reasonable. But honestly I can't take an offer in the middle of the summer. By that point I wouldn't have a lot of time to prepare my 7 year old for a move, and I think the very sudden upheaval would be pretty traumatic. Telling her now would allow her time to adjust... middle of the summer - essentially telling her that a lot is going to change for her in a matter of weeks - seems unfair.

Edited by SarahBethSortino

2 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

Yes, they included my funding package with the waitlist email. Unfortunately, for such a fantastic program, the offer is about $10k lower than my other offers. The main reason why I'm holding on is because American Studies is where my research feels most at home, and Michigan is the only place that said yes(ish).

Yeah, that's a state school for ya. Not worth it, IMO.

7 hours ago, nhhistorynut said:

@SarahBethSortino I agree with this. No idea what you would remove your name if you are still interested in an offer. A lot of schools go down to the wire dealing with waitlists. Many people make decisions April 14th and 15th, perhaps a few who are just indecisive but also because someone who got in at the school you're waitlisted at may very well be holding out on a waitlist elsewhere. So the last few days can be a domino effect as waitlists finally shake out. One waitlist I was on notified me April 12, and another wasn't until noon on April 15. You did all the application work and paid all the money, why would you remove yourself early rather than seeing the process through?

11 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

I can't take an offer in the middle of the summer. By that point I wouldn't have a lot of time to prepare my 7 year old for a move, and I think the very sudden upheaval would be pretty traumatic. Telling her now would allow her time to adjust... middle of the summer - essentially telling her that a lot is going to change for her in a matter of weeks - seems unfair.

I see where you're coming from. I have a 5 year old daughter myself and next year means some major changes for us (not moving, mind you, but I've been staying home, completing my MA part time, and working from home as an editor for several years now).

I think I'd still suggest keeping your name in there. It's not that you'll be able to take an offer if they give it to you in the summer, but you'll know you got it. I think there's something to that, especially based on everything you've talked about here. I think there would be some vindication for all you've gone through and endured through this process. And as anticlimactic as it will be to get the offer and reject it, you can carry it with you that you got accepted to a PhD program (if you get in).

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, seh0517 said:

Hi there! Starting Fall 2017 in a MA Public History program. Very excited to get started!

My historical focus is the History of Science, with interests in scientific illustrations, Ancient Egyptian medicine and science, the relationship between science, magic, and religion, astronomy, paleontology, and mortuary science. I hope to obtain a career in a museum of natural history or science in exhibit creation, interpretation, and public programming. I also hope to complete a PhD, just not sure if I will right after my Masters or later one after I am in the workforce. 

Hello! I just wanted to congratulate you since public historians are vastly outnumbered in the history forum. I graduate in May with my MA in public history and I faced the same dilemma as you with you the PhD. Do it immediately following or wait? Ultimately I'll be starting in the fall for my PhD because the stars aligned for me. Enjoy the field of public historians--we're a very welcoming bunch! I've only been to the NCPH conference once and everyone was just so nice.

On 3/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, SarahBethSortino said:

As a follow up, what does everyone think about the realistic timeline for being informed from the waitlist? I've stopped following up with my two schools. I'm honestly operating under the assumption that I'm not getting in. I know of two people who turned down offers in the last two weeks to my top choice, and considering that I didn't get a phone call about any open spots, I'm assuming that I was not as high on the waitlist as I was led to believe. I know April 15th is two weeks away, but it does seem as though both schools would know something by now. I'm considering withdrawing from the waitlists and moving on at this point.

I am meeting with one school on Monday because I was invited up there...but considering I have not heard anything concrete, I feel like it is more an opportunity to discuss possibly applying next  year, which I will not be doing.

@SarahBethSortino
Don't withdraw.  You won't get a phone call in middle of the summer telling you you got in. PhD admissions do not operate like undergraduate admissions where calls are made in middle of the summer.  PhD programs with funding packages are operating on a very specific university (and for public institutions, state-level) budget schedule whereas admissions office check in with the financial aid office to see if there's extra cash available to provide appropriate funding aid package for the student.  The fiscal year ends on June 30th and departments usually hear of their budget for the next academic year in May and begin to close up their current budget around that time.

You will certainly know if you're on or off by late April, no later than that.  Hang in there.  Your daughter will have time to adjust if she knows by early May and have some weeks left at school to say good-bye to her teachers and friends.  I wish you the best of luck with these waitlists.  I know how nerve-wrecking it is as I have been on waitlists.

Edited by TMP

13 hours ago, TMP said:

@SarahBethSortino
Don't withdraw.  You won't get a phone call in middle of the summer telling you you got in. PhD admissions do not operate like undergraduate admissions where calls are made in middle of the summer. 

I thought I'd chime and state that it's possible to be called in the summer, albeit with some rarity. As @TMP noted, most universities know their fiscal year budget by the end of June, hence, how many students they can support. However, I've known several instances of enrolled graduate students dropping out at the very last minute, freeing up a position. Said position is often difficult to fill as it's somewhat difficult to find a qualified student within such short notice.

I readily admit that it's probably a rare circumstance, but it can happen. At any rate, I'd agree that you shouldn't withdraw. Should you get off the waitlist, you can always turn down the offer then. There's no need to speculate what you might be offered until it happens.

On 3/30/2017 at 4:48 PM, OHSP said:

Whereabouts is this second school? I'm about to turn down a few offers (after struggling to make a decision) and I'm sure there are other people in the same boat. 

UNC - Chapel Hill. I'm hoping there are some people making their final decisions soon because while I would me more than happy to accept my other offer, UNC would certainly be a better option on paper. We shall see! Sending good vibes to my fellow wait listed compatriots!

4 hours ago, laleph said:

Just declined Cornell, sigh. Very difficult decision. I'm hoping at the very least it helps someone on the waitlist.

Any good decision should probably be a difficult decision. Congrats on your decision. :) 

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, Neist said:

I thought I'd chime and state that it's possible to be called in the summer, albeit with some rarity. As @TMP noted, most universities know their fiscal year budget by the end of June, hence, how many students they can support. However, I've known several instances of enrolled graduate students dropping out at the very last minute, freeing up a position. Said position is often difficult to fill as it's somewhat difficult to find a qualified student within such short notice.

I readily admit that it's probably a rare circumstance, but it can happen. At any rate, I'd agree that you shouldn't withdraw. Should you get off the waitlist, you can always turn down the offer then. There's no need to speculate what you might be offered until it happens.

I'm feeling bolstered by my meeting at the university yesterday. I don't have any more actual information regarding my particular situation, but I was told that there are people who have not responded to their acceptances and that the school is actively reaching out to get a gauge on where their decisions might stand. People are taking a very long time and at least one person is waiting to see how their own waitlist situation pans out before making a decision. BUT, I was told that the meeting wouldn't even be happening if there wasn't a very good chance things would work out for me. So although I'm still stressed and frustrated, I'm feeling a little better knowing that I have all the information I can possibly have right now.