MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

3 hours ago, axcv said:

Just got waitlisted from Guelph 

Same here. Guelph is the only school I've heard back from.

I still haven't heard from Waterloo or Queens. My top choices are Guelph and Waterloo so I'm really hoping I get into either one of those.

I know this isn't necessarily the place to do it, but I know you lot might be willing to help. 

(tl;dr I want to get into med school. I have a BA in English. I need another degree to make myself competitive. What are my chances of getting into U of T's MPH? (Read attached CV.) I need to know because I am being offered a funded opportunity to get another bachelor's degree at Ryerson, but have to decide TOMORROW. Do I hold out and hope I get into MPH, or do I take the offer for another bachelors? My preference would be MPH > Bachelors since it makes me more competitive for med school admission. 

For those willing to read: I have a bit of a dilemma, and could use some opinions.

I applied for U of T's MPH program of Behavioral Science. My end goal is to get into medical school, but my undergraduate GPA in the US was a 3.45, and it's humanities-based. I know the MPH is a great opportunity to bridge my social background into health care, and make me a strong competitor for med school in a few years. 

However, I am being offered/awarded an RA summer position with a professor at Ryerson to continue to do my research on aerogel; the catch is that I have to go back to school as an undergraduate for 2-years and earn another bachelors. (A BSc in Chemstiry or Biomedical Science.)

My professor with the RA position wants me decide TOMORROW if I'm going to become a full time undergraduate student in the fall, take on this funding, and likely go on to get an NSERC Grant in the fall and spring. 

U of T, as I understand it, won't be sending out acceptance/rejection letters for at least three weeks. 

My question to you: do I even stand a chance at getting into U of T's MPH Behavioral Science? 

I'm torn between accepting the offer to take this RA grant for the summer and enroll as a chem student for another bachelors, OR praying that I get into this MPH at U of T.

Can you chance me? HONESTLY? I've attached my CV. Not included is my new position as an Associate Student Researcher, where I'll be the Student Lead on a 50k grant from Tellus. 

Thanks!

17 - Edit.pdf

Edited by WaxesPoetic

Just now, WaxesPoetic said:

I know this isn't necessarily the place to do it, but I know you lot might be willing to help. 

(tl;dr I want to get into med school. I have a BA in English. I need another degree to make myself competitive. What are my chances of getting into U of T's MPH? (Read attached CV.) I need to know because I am being offered a funded opportunity to get another bachelor's degree at Ryerson, but have to decide TOMORROW. Do I hold out and hope I get into MPH, or do I take the offer for another bachelors? My preference would be MPH > Bachelors since it makes me more competitive for med school admission. 

For those willing to read: I have a bit of a dilemma, and could use some opinions.

I applied for U of T's MPH program of Behavioral Science. My end goal is to get into medical school, but my undergraduate GPA in the US was a 3.45, and it's humanities-based. I know the MPH is a great opportunity to bridge my social background into health care, and make me a strong competitor for med school in a few years. 

However, I am being offered/awarded an RA summer position with a professor at Ryerson to continue to do my research on aerogel; the catch is that I have to go back to school as an undergraduate for 2-years and earn another bachelors. (A BSc in Chemstiry or Biomedical Science.)

My professor with the RA position wants me decide TOMORROW if I'm going to become a full time undergraduate student in the fall, take on this funding, and likely go on to get an NSERC Grant in the fall and spring. 

U of T, as I understand it, won't be sending out acceptance/rejection letters for at least three weeks. 

My question to you: do I even stand a chance at getting into U of T's MPH Behavioral Science? 

I'm torn between accepting the offer to take this RA grant for the summer and enroll as a chem student for another bachelors, OR praying that I get into this MPH at U of T.

Can you chance me? HONESTLY? I've attached my CV. Not included is my new position as an Associate Student Researcher, where I'll be the Student Lead on a 50k grant from Tellus. 

Thanks!

17 - Edit.pdf

Hey! I can't see your CV but honestly a fully funded BSc. in Chemistry sounds like a great oppurtunity especially to get your background in Chemistry that you need for Med School.

I only go to UofT as an undergrad but in my humble opinion, you have a high chance of getting it. Honestly though, what is going to get you where you want to go which is Med School? 

Good Luck on your decision! This is a tough choice but you're in a lucky position.

@WaxesPoetic also can't see your CV but I agree with @anxiousss . I'm not too sure how med school ratings work, but it seems that the NSERC in the BSc Chem/Biomed would definitely still add to your resume. It may seem unethical, but it is possible that you can change your mind in the case you hear back from UofT with an acceptance. It really isn't enough time to make an "informed" decision, so I'd say take the BSc option because it may also be possible that you don't get into MPH just yet. In the meantime, you'd be making/saving money with the RA position, and will show on your resume (for when you do apply to med school) that you've been committed to your research on aerogel. I'm sure a double degree will also look great to med schools? Hope that helps, and whatever you choose, I hope the path & effort pays off!

1 hour ago, WaxesPoetic said:

Thanks, all. Wonder if this helps? (Uploading CV again.)

You make a good point about the research and dual Bachelors. RA + NSERC + Authorship + BSc HOPEFULLY makes me competitive for med school.

17 - Edit.pdf

I agree with the above two people! But still cant see your CV! 

Hi everyone! Congrats to all who were accepted already. Wondering if anyone's U of A portal says "under review" AND their bear tracks says "this application requires action"? (Don't know if I should be worried about the bear tracks message) 

3 hours ago, pha said:

Hi everyone! Congrats to all who were accepted already. Wondering if anyone's U of A portal says "under review" AND their bear tracks says "this application requires action"? (Don't know if I should be worried about the bear tracks message) 

Yep, says that in my UoA as well. I contacted their grad office who said to ignore that as they're having some technical issues. The action for me was needing to submit formal transcripts which is only required upon offer of acceptance.

Hope that helps.

12 minutes ago, wiffle said:

Yep, says that in my UoA as well. I contacted their grad office who said to ignore that as they're having some technical issues. The action for me was needing to submit formal transcripts which is only required upon offer of acceptance.

Hope that helps.

Same here! ... also just as an update I received a message from U of A today saying the following:

"Your application to the Masters of Public Health (MPH) degree in the School of Public Health for Fall 2017 has been received and is being processed. Due to a higher than expected number of applications, our review process will be slower than in previous years. Please be assured your file will be reviewed in detail, and all qualified applicants will be considered for potential recruitment scholarship. We are aiming to advise all successful applicants by mid-April"

1 hour ago, pizza17 said:

Same here! ... also just as an update I received a message from U of A today saying the following:

"Your application to the Masters of Public Health (MPH) degree in the School of Public Health for Fall 2017 has been received and is being processed. Due to a higher than expected number of applications, our review process will be slower than in previous years. Please be assured your file will be reviewed in detail, and all qualified applicants will be considered for potential recruitment scholarship. We are aiming to advise all successful applicants by mid-April"

Thanks guys! I haven't gotten that message yet but maybe they're slowly sending them out. 

Edited by pha

10 hours ago, anxiousss said:

Anyone hear back from SFU Global Health yet?

Hey, yeah I got accepted there a week or so ago and I applied to global health (I can't see global health written anywhere in the offer letter but I think they only consider you for the one your applied for?). I heard they do acceptances on a rolling basis so they accept people in waves. (Rejected from UBC though, you win some you lose some I guess!) Also got in to Queens but mostly waiting to hear from U of T (though I'm trying to keep myself realistic about getting in there!) 

11 hours ago, pizza17 said:

i got this message today too, my application says under review. Has people in the global health stream for U of A received acceptances yet?

3 hours ago, pugsareneat said:

Hey, yeah I got accepted there a week or so ago and I applied to global health (I can't see global health written anywhere in the offer letter but I think they only consider you for the one your applied for?). I heard they do acceptances on a rolling basis so they accept people in waves. (Rejected from UBC though, you win some you lose some I guess!) Also got in to Queens but mostly waiting to hear from U of T (though I'm trying to keep myself realistic about getting in there!) 

Hey! when  is your deadline to respond to Queens?  

Current UBC MPH student here!

I remember relentlessly browsing this forum last year - it was such a great resource when I was trying to make my decision as to which program to attend (for me, it was between UBC, SFU and the U of T social and behavioural health science MPH programs). So if anyone has questions about UBC's program feel free to shoot me a PM :)

Hey guys,

I received an offer of admission from Brock MPH on Thursday around noon time when I checked and my status for Guelph MPH just changed to admitted now (I just checked around 11:15 am) :) Wishing you guys luck!!!

7 hours ago, emph said:

Current UBC MPH student here!

I remember relentlessly browsing this forum last year - it was such a great resource when I was trying to make my decision as to which program to attend (for me, it was between UBC, SFU and the U of T social and behavioural health science MPH programs). So if anyone has questions about UBC's program feel free to shoot me a PM :)

Hey! Thanks for making yourself available :) I was wondering what made you choose UBC over SFU?