MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

7 hours ago, lastshot said:

Long time lurker like some others here. Received an offer from UWaterloo on March 13th.

Posting to say this is the 3rd time I've applied to MPH programs in ON, and my CGPA for undergrad was terrible (2.76)! My last two years I brought up to an A average to be competitive, and I did a graduate diploma in Health Promotion to strengthen my application (GPA 4.24). 3 years of Public Health experience in a community health centre, and great references (academic & professional).

Do not give up hope if you have not been offered admission! Happy to chat with anyone that has questions about the application process. Congrats to all those who have received offers. 

I am also curious where you did your graduate diploma in health promotion. Congrats on the Waterloo offer:) 

On 2017-03-25 at 11:57 PM, Teochew said:

Hey guys! I've been following this for a while, but I have a question so I decided to finally make an account.

I got rejected from McGill, UBC, SFU, and U of T. Still waiting for Western. It appears that I'm severely lacking on Public Health experience though, so my question is how did you (if you did) get experience in the Public Health field?

Hey! So I am currently a first year at Guelph MPH, (I applied in 2016). Personally it is not about direct public health experience at all, everyone who got in for my year had different experiences that all indirectly related to public health. Yes, some did have more applicable direct experiences, but it is all about showing how what you have done, relates to the field of public health you are more interested in. For example, I did work in an aquatic ecology and molecular lab for three years and in my letter, I talked about how I can apply these skills towards infectious disease and water quality for environmental public health and how Guelph would allow me to further my interest in this area, but I never did direct public health experiences. It is all about taking what you have done and applying it in to a public health lens! 

12 hours ago, crys07 said:

I am also curious where you did your graduate diploma in health promotion. Congrats on the Waterloo offer:) 

It was Workplace Wellness and Health Promotion at Centennial College - http://www.centennialcollege.ca/programs-courses/full-time/workplace-wellness-and-health-promotion/

I recommend it for anyone looking to get into community health promotion or employee health promotion work. I will say though - in my work experience it is not 'valued' liked a graduate degree. Hence going back to school lol. There is a placement opportunity in the diploma program as well that was great.

Thanks for the congrats and good luck to all!

On 3/28/2017 at 6:34 AM, Markk122 said:

Hey! So I am currently a first year at Guelph MPH, (I applied in 2016). Personally it is not about direct public health experience at all, everyone who got in for my year had different experiences that all indirectly related to public health. Yes, some did have more applicable direct experiences, but it is all about showing how what you have done, relates to the field of public health you are more interested in. For example, I did work in an aquatic ecology and molecular lab for three years and in my letter, I talked about how I can apply these skills towards infectious disease and water quality for environmental public health and how Guelph would allow me to further my interest in this area, but I never did direct public health experiences. It is all about taking what you have done and applying it in to a public health lens! 

Oh okay! I see, maybe I just need to rework my CV and Letter of Intent then. Thanks for the insight! :)

Western's MPH program is sending out acceptances!

I just got my offer letter via email, but received a phone call from the program offering admission a few days ago :)

Still waiting to hear from Alberta, Toronto, and Saskatchewan but it seems like they will not be sending out any offers until April...

44 minutes ago, pizza17 said:

I got accepted to Waterloo's MPH program, but I will most likely be declining the offer

Congrats! When did you get accepted? I'm wondering if they are still accepting applicants..

1 hour ago, pizza17 said:

I got accepted to Waterloo's MPH program, but I will most likely be declining the offer

was this for the online program or on-campus version?

Edited by naynay

So I was just checking out the Western MPH website and I came across a brochure which said their program is designed for individuals with at least 2 years of work experience as well as "Each student brings at least two years of work experience in health care from a variety of backgrounds related to public health".

They didn't have anything about needing 2 years of work experience anywhere else on the program website or application requirements and I guess I'm just a little angry for wasting money on an application when they never made this clear at all. Guess I'll probably be rejected then.

2 hours ago, naynay said:

was this for the online program or on-campus version?

I don't think you specify when applying because it's offered almost completely online.

From the website "The remaining MPH courses for full-time and part-time students are supported by self-directed learning and offered through online or blended (on-campus and online) formats."

5 hours ago, a1616 said:

Congrats! When did you get accepted? I'm wondering if they are still accepting applicants..

I got accepted today via email and couple of hours later the offer showed up on quest 

@naynay much like @neonlily mentioned it didn't specify because most of the program is online

9 hours ago, MPHsal said:

Western's MPH program is sending out acceptances!

I just got my offer letter via email, but received a phone call from the program offering admission a few days ago :)

Still waiting to hear from Alberta, Toronto, and Saskatchewan but it seems like they will not be sending out any offers until April...

Congrats!! :)

2 hours ago, crys07 said:

I see someone has heard from Lakehead (nursing specialization). Has anyone who applied to the epidemiology specialization at Lakehead heard anything yet? Or know of when they typically send out decisions? 

@crys07 I'm waiting on this as well.  Was really hoping to hear something by the end of the week.  I've looked at past boards and it seems notices were sent out before or around this time.  Good luck!

Please! has anyone receive admission result from Waterloo public Health and Health system PhD admission. I am really anxious.Pls give details

3 hours ago, Edandy said:

Please! has anyone receive admission result from Waterloo public Health and Health system PhD admission. I am really anxious.Pls give details

Hello @Edandy, this is MPH forum. I think you will have better luck asking your question in the PhD Canada forum. That being said, I wish you good luck for your application and hope somebody will be able to answer you back. 

Hi guys. Just checked my U of A portal and saw I got rejected for the Global health program, waiting on U of S. hoping some good news comes but not holding my breath. 

5 hours ago, Najah_NY said:

Hi guys. Just checked my U of A portal and saw I got rejected for the Global health program, waiting on U of S. hoping some good news comes but not holding my breath. 

Sorry to hear about UofA, hope you have good news from Sask!

What's the portal that you used to check? 

Edit: nevermnd I found it. Mine says "Under Review"

Edited by elop