MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

9 minutes ago, elop said:

Sorry to hear about UofA, hope you have good news from Sask!

What's the portal that you used to check? 

Edit: nevermnd I found it. Mine says "Under Review"

Thanks. It was on the graduate admission portal as well as bear tracks. Good luck 

Just curious, what are people's backups for next year? Online courses? Work? Travel? etc

Trying to help out a friend who's coming up with some backup plans

Edited by j12356

16 hours ago, j12356 said:

Just curious, what are people's backups for next year? Online courses? Work? Travel? etc

Trying to help out a friend who's coming up with some backup plans

Look for a new job in public health, research other masters degrees and other education programs.

Hi,

For those in canada, in case one doesn't make it into MPH but gets into a bachelors in public health rather, ( i aready have a bachelors in another field). is this a good alternative to pursue? how is the job market for one with a bachelor's in public health? thanks.

4 hours ago, ernmy said:

Hi,

For those in canada, in case one doesn't make it into MPH but gets into a bachelors in public health rather, ( i aready have a bachelors in another field). is this a good alternative to pursue? how is the job market for one with a bachelor's in public health? thanks.

If you can, take a year off. Try to get as many research/PH experience during your time off school, or even study part time and take some statistics courses. Bring up your GPA if its low (low as in less than B+/A-). All my friends have done MPH rather than bachelors, so I'm not sure how competitive you would be with a bachelor rather than masters degree. 

Do you mind sharing your stats?

On 2017-04-03 at 1:11 AM, elop said:

Sorry to hear about UofA, hope you have good news from Sask!

What's the portal that you used to check? 

Edit: nevermnd I found it. Mine says "Under Review"

I checked bear tracks and mine says 'decision pending', but I had a few profs contact me to be my supervisor. Does that mean I got in?

22 minutes ago, mph2017 said:

I checked bear tracks and mine says 'decision pending', but I had a few profs contact me to be my supervisor. Does that mean I got in?

I mean, pending your official notificatipn that sounds really encouraging!

What stream did you apply to at Ualberta? (Im assuming you applied to the MSc)

Anyone been contacted by Queens or Waterloo for waiting list? 

Is anyone out here wait listed for SFU MPH (Global Health)? 

I am going crazy just sitting around checking the universities portals every other day. 

31 minutes ago, Tahnin said:

Anyone been contacted by Queens or Waterloo for waiting list? 

Is anyone out here wait listed for SFU MPH (Global Health)? 

I am going crazy just sitting around checking the universities portals every other day. 

Lol this is me every day. I feel you! Waiting to hear from Waterloo, Western and U of T still.

I just got my UofA refusal :( That literally breaks my heart as I already have 3 more refusals before that ( Mcgill, SFU, Mcmaster)

Now only 2 more decisions pending ( Uof Toronto and Waterloo) Dont think I have any chances for MPH in Canada this year.

I am just left to accept my London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine offer.

36 minutes ago, dr_pakistan said:

I just got my UofA refusal :( That literally breaks my heart as I already have 3 more refusals before that ( Mcgill, SFU, Mcmaster)

Now only 2 more decisions pending ( Uof Toronto and Waterloo) Dont think I have any chances for MPH in Canada this year.

I am just left to accept my London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine offer.

Hello @dr_pakistan, could you please tell me exactly what did you apply to in u of Alberta, SFU, Waterloo & u of T? 

I know the situation looks pretty bleak from where you are standing, but please don't lose hope yet. If anything, you have the London school of tropical medicine & Hygiene offer. Maybe it's not the same for you, but you still have an offer. 

4 hours ago, Safetypins49 said:

Just wondering if anyone has heard from U of T or McMasters?

I was waitlisted for Mac, has anyone else who was waitlisted heard back from them?

Anyone here on McGill MSc Epi waiting list?? I got in MSc Public Health, but wait listed for Epi stream. 

And u of T apparently won't start getting back until mid april/early may. As you may have noticed tho, they receive a lot more applications compared to other schools, so its very competitive. 

Waterloo applicants, check Quest! Rejected though I expected this as I did not meet the admission criteria but was told by coordinator to apply anyway <_< what a wasteee of money lol

Edited by naynay

53 minutes ago, naynay said:

Waterloo applicants, check Quest! Rejected though I expected this as I did not meet the admission criteria but was told by coordinator to apply anyway <_< what a wasteee of money lol

Hmm..mine still says "no decision..." I don't think I'll get in though, it seems like it's geared towards those with more public health experience.

Thanks Tahnin for encouraging words. I applied to MPH epi in U of Alberta , Msc Epi Mcgill , MPH Epi in U of Tor , Mph PH Env & Occup Health in SFU/ Waterloo. I have 5 years  health experience as a doctor.  Have 2 years experience as Research Officer and 5 publications. MY GPA for medical school was around 3.4 ( grades are tough in Pakistan med schools). I got acceptances to all 8 US MPH universities I applied to last year but didnt get the visa . I got into LSHTM thisyear and it seems I have to ultimately go there.

I even gave GRe and of course IeltsAcad (7.5 overall)

Also have Usmle Steps 1 and 2 given before but didnt get t visa to appear for Step 2 CS.

7 hours ago, dr_pakistan said:

Thanks Tahnin for encouraging words. I applied to MPH epi in U of Alberta , Msc Epi Mcgill , MPH Epi in U of Tor , Mph PH Env & Occup Health in SFU/ Waterloo. I have 5 years  health experience as a doctor.  Have 2 years experience as Research Officer and 5 publications. MY GPA for medical school was around 3.4 ( grades are tough in Pakistan med schools). I got acceptances to all 8 US MPH universities I applied to last year but didnt get the visa . I got into LSHTM thisyear and it seems I have to ultimately go there.

Also have Usmle Steps 1 and 2 given before but didnt get t visa to appear for Step 2 CS.

You have solid experience! But you should call the universities and ask for advice. Sometimes its because of your GPA - if you don't make the cut off, they won't even look at the rest of your app regardless if you're an undergrad student or a doctor. 

Goodluck! :)

7 hours ago, dr_pakistan said:

Thank you @dr_pakistan for your reply. Like @mph2017 said, I also can't find the cause of you not getting an admission and it's probably better to ask the universities for advice as to what you should do to make it better. 

Anyway, thanks again and I wish you best luck.