MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

Just got an email from Western MPH (time stamp 9:07 am) notifying me that I've been placed on the waitlist and that because of the large number of applications this year, they've adopted rolling admissions.

12 minutes ago, nads6 said:

Just got an email from Western MPH (time stamp 9:07 am) notifying me that I've been placed on the waitlist and that because of the large number of applications this year, they've adopted rolling admissions.

Hey I got the same email this morning as well 

1 hour ago, nads6 said:

What does rolling admissions even mean at this point? They already have all the applications so how will they decide? 

19 hours ago, mariont19 said:

I still haven't heard anything from Queens, Guelph or Western yet either. The waiting might just kill me. 

I haven't heard from Guelph either, so I emailed them today asking for some info. WebAdvisor is still showing All Documents Recieved and no email like they said. 

Im coming from a non traditional sociology background, 78% average, so I'm not expecting an acceptance. 

31 minutes ago, EdnaMode said:

What does rolling admissions even mean at this point? They already have all the applications so how will they decide? 

I got the same message! I thought rolling admissions benefits those who applied earlier in the cycle...so this is kind of weird. Does anyone else know what it means?

13 hours ago, canadian.azn said:

Is Emory just as tough at LSHTP? Been rejected by Canadian schools and just feeling so discouraged I don't want to keep applying and getting the same answer :( 

I'm not actually too sure, but I would refer to their online site to see! I'm sure if you search 'report' or like 'admission statistics' you'd find some numbers about it - sorry I couldn't be much help there. I would also say you have nothing to lose, except for the application fee and a bit of your tine, you should go for it!!! :) 

9 minutes ago, pha said:

I got the same message! I thought rolling admissions benefits those who applied earlier in the cycle...so this is kind of weird. Does anyone else know what it means?

@EdnaMode It means they'll have either 1) multiple waves of admissions or 2) continuous offers sent out depending on their responses (whether people accept or reject the offer VS their capacity). It would most likely be the former, so if people reject or accept their offer before their deadline, the remaining open spots would be sent out to the waitlisted/shortlisted individuals 

2 hours ago, nads6 said:

Created this account just to say, me too! I received the "you've been waitlisted" email from Western at 9:03am. 

Honestly didn't stress too much about these admissions. After I did my part and sent it in, it's out of my hands.

It will be what it will be. 

Not getting in just means, we can work, volunteer, travel, learn a martial art etc. Possibilities are endless, there are always other options. 

Goodluck to all of those still waiting to hear back and congratulations to all that have been accepted :) 

Take it easy guys, it's just life... haha

1 hour ago, j12356 said:

I'm not actually too sure, but I would refer to their online site to see! I'm sure if you search 'report' or like 'admission statistics' you'd find some numbers about it - sorry I couldn't be much help there. I would also say you have nothing to lose, except for the application fee and a bit of your tine, you should go for it!!! :) 

There is no application fees for LSHTM

Hey guys, long time lurker here!

Wanteed to share that I was wait listed to both Queens and Western this week.

1 hour ago, j12356 said:

@EdnaMode It means they'll have either 1) multiple waves of admissions or 2) continuous offers sent out depending on their responses (whether people accept or reject the offer VS their capacity). It would most likely be the former, so if people reject or accept their offer before their deadline, the remaining open spots would be sent out to the waitlisted/shortlisted individuals 

Thanks for the definition of rolling admissions. Does anyone have any other ideas or experience with this process (and how it would work with Westerns MPH)?

Also does anyone know how Queens or Western deal with wait-listed candidates? I've read that some school will accept updated CV's and references. Should i just e-mail and contact admission directly?

-- Dan

More and more, I think everyone got this e-mail. I wish they would let us know if we were rejected or not rather than dragging us all through. 

"Thank you for your interest in our MPH Program.  Due to the large number of applications this year we have adopted a rolling admissions process.  On behalf of the MPH Admissions Committee for the Schulich Interfaculty Program in Public Health’s Master of Public Health (MPH) Program I would like to let you know that your application has been put on a waiting list for admission for Fall 2017.  We anticipate being able to provide further information for a possible spot in the Program in early June.  Unfortunately we are not able to inform you of where you are on the waiting list, however you will be notified if a spot becomes available."

18 minutes ago, HelloCole said:

More and more, I think everyone got this e-mail. I wish they would let us know if we were rejected or not rather than dragging us all through. 

Waitlisted essentially means our applications aren't THAT competitive to get accepted immediately, but also not insufficient enough to get a rejection. 

Like we meet their standards (there were just more competitive candidates than us), and if they had more room we would likely have gotten accepted. 

Now they're waiting to see if others who've been accepted will choose them and if not, they'll then refer to us when they need to fill in their spots. 

Edited by Littlebluealien1

5 minutes ago, Littlebluealien1 said:

Waitlisted essentially means our applications aren't THAT competitive to get accepted immediately, but also not insufficient enough to get a rejection. 

Like we meet their standards (there were just more competitive candidates than us), and if they had more room we would likely have gotten accepted. 

Now they're waiting to see if others who've been accepted will choose them and if not, they'll then refer to us when they need to fill in their spots. 

Waiting until June seems like such a long time frame, hey? Does anyone know how long people have to accept their offers?

2 minutes ago, pha said:

Waiting until June seems like such a long time frame, hey? Does anyone know how long people have to accept their offers?

They say June, but based on what I've heard from others who've been waitlisted to other programs, they usually find out a lot sooner. Typically people don't wait that long to accept offers if they have more than one.

A guy I know got waitlisted for Med school, they told him they'd let him know within the next couple months. He got another email 2 days later saying he was accepted. (Hopefully this is what happens to at least a couple of us lol). 

7 minutes ago, Littlebluealien1 said:

They say June, but based on what I've heard from others who've been waitlisted to other programs, they usually find out a lot sooner. Typically people don't wait that long to accept offers if they have more than one.

A guy I know got waitlisted for Med school, they told him they'd let him know within the next couple months. He got another email 2 days later saying he was accepted. (Hopefully this is what happens to at least a couple of us lol). 

Haha yes, agreed. Good luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, mph2k17 said:

Got an email from Western as well saying I'm on the waitlist. Did anyone get rejected yet? Or was this email sent to everyone that didn't get accepted yet. A little confused by the wording of the email.....

I was rejected this morning so that supports the other answers about the rolling admissions process. Good luck everyone!

5 minutes ago, pha said:

The deadline Western provided to accept their MPH Program offer is May 15 2017. I am waiting to hear back from other schools before making a decision - it is probably safe to assume that others may be doing the same since quite a few MPH programs have not sent out any admission offers.

Best of luck to everyone :) 

On 4/6/2017 at 2:08 PM, dr_pakistan said:

LSHTM is ranked in top 5 in the world for Public Health..it only comes after John Hopkins and Oxford in Public Health rank globally. U of Toronto (t best uni in canada for Public health according to QRRanking) comes at 25 to 40 in global rank. So you still hv time to apply for Sep intake at LSHTM..yes it is competitive but they also look holistially at your CV unlike most Canadian universities which I think just look at your GPA to book u in.

One more thing though ..LSHTM offer a 12 month MsC in Public health and not MPH. My only reason for applying to canada was they offer a 16 month MPH which is accredited by CEPH (usa). I am not sure about LSHTM being accredited by CEPH but its the best in public health according to rankings. Can anyone also shed light on the pros and cons for pursuing a MsPh rather than a MPH in public health in terms of employment opportunities in usa, canada etc.

Where did you see the public health rankings for QRRanking? I can't seem to fit it. Thanks!

Hey all! I received an admission letter from McGill, from the EBOH department 2 days ago. It said that I had to wait for the Graduate School to send me their "final decision" (which I was sure it was just a formality). Today however, I got an email from uApply saying that my application status had been changed to "cancelled' by the dept.

Anyone has any idea what this means or has this happened to anyone here? I'm still waiting for them to get back to me about this.

26 minutes ago, DA9 said:

Hey all! I received an admission letter from McGill, from the EBOH department 2 days ago. It said that I had to wait for the Graduate School to send me their "final decision" (which I was sure it was just a formality). Today however, I got an email from uApply saying that my application status had been changed to "cancelled' by the dept.

Anyone has any idea what this means or has this happened to anyone here? I'm still waiting for them to get back to me about this.

Oh that's strange, if the department has accepted you, that usually means you have the requirements (i.e. academics) to be entered into the school, but the Graduate School still needs to confirm it. I'd email them and check about the status 

18 hours ago, Shd90 said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from MSc Epi at Western? I've read that some got a rejection and some got acceptances too but I've heard absolutely nothing from them. 

Yes, I was accepted a while back. The deadline they gave me to accept/reject the offer was March 31 (I accepted). Hope that helps!

Okay so it seems that the letter everyone got from Western is a little bit different. Here's my email:

"Good morning,

Thank you for your application to our MPH Program. Due to the large number of applications this year we have adopted a rolling admissions process.  Your application is still under review and we expect to communicate an update by early May.

Sincerely,
MPH Program Office"

It's not a waiting list email, so I'm sensing a rejection very soon.