MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

Late to join the party, but long time follower here! 

Rejected from SFU, waitlisted at Western and waiting on MSc GH at Mac! 

I m shocked to see how many of us are waitlisted for western! As a current Western student, I definitely wouldnt mind coming back! But maybe a year off would do my HRQoL some good! Lol 

1 hour ago, dr_pakistan said:

Seems like a bit of an odd ranking system. It talks a lot of about publications which you wouldn't see from most of these programs since they're professional based.

@epi2017 Thank you for your reply and congratulations on your acceptance. I have not much hope left from Western which is a bummer because it was one of my top choice school and I was looking forward to being given a chance to work with a specific professor. I feel weird that I have heard absolutely nothing from them in in months. Sigh. 

16 minutes ago, Shd90 said:

@epi2017 Thank you for your reply and congratulations on your acceptance. I have not much hope left from Western which is a bummer because it was one of my top choice school and I was looking forward to being given a chance to work with a specific professor. I feel weird that I have heard absolutely nothing from them in in months. Sigh. 

Hey I called Western last week as I have yet to hear anything from them as well. They told me that all applications are with faculty at this time so it sort of depends when they review them. They said it depends on the supervisor I stated I'd like to work with and I was welcome to connect with them and let them know that my application is available for review. I'd give Western a call or email them and ask them about your application! Maybe they have more information!! Good luck!!

Edited by Motog

Hi everyone!

Been a lurker for several weeks and I figured I should just register and actually post.

I applied to UBC, Queen's, U of T and McMaster. I got rejected from UBC (which sucked as I live in Van and did my undergrad there) and McMaster.
I got an offer from Queen's a few weeks ago (I accepted it) and I'm waiting for U of T.

Any idea when U of T rolls out their offers? I emailed them back in March and their only response was that everyone would know by the end of June. That's pretty late, and I don't expect most of us to have to wait a few more months.

Hi everyone! I figured I would finally post! I have applied to U of T, UBC, Guelph, and Memorial for MPH. I've been rejected from UBC, but haven't heard back from any of the other schools yet, which has me worried. I understand some of you have already heard back from Guelph indicating if you've been accepted or waitlisted? Do you think my not having heard yet means I should be expected a rejection...? And do any of you know when I should expect to hear from Memorial? I know U of T takes a while, but I had expected to hear from other schools before now...

Any insight would be amazing! :)

I called Queens when people first started to hear back. They told me they had just submitted the first round and were awaiting their responses by March 31 and then would do the second round. I assumed the second round must have been this week as some people have mentioned they got in or got rejected. I find it a bit odd because it they go out in rounds, should it have been done in batches (all in one day or so)? But I've only seen a few responses this week on Queens... I'm just worried/confused as I haven't heard anything and do not know what to make of this :( 

11 hours ago, Creme_Brulee said:

Hi everyone!

Been a lurker for several weeks and I figured I should just register and actually post.

I applied to UBC, Queen's, U of T and McMaster. I got rejected from UBC (which sucked as I live in Van and did my undergrad there) and McMaster.
I got an offer from Queen's a few weeks ago (I accepted it) and I'm waiting for U of T.

Any idea when U of T rolls out their offers? I emailed them back in March and their only response was that everyone would know by the end of June. That's pretty late, and I don't expect most of us to have to wait a few more months.

Current U of T MPH Epi student here. They should be rolling out informal offers around the third week of April, which was the case last year. It is "informal" in the sense that the department is letting you know directly first, and they just have to go through school of graduate studies to make it official (which comes about 3 weeks after, so around mid-May). I believe those who are waitlisted also hear of the informal results around this time. The formal offer deadline is two weeks after they receive it, so it ends up being around end of May. From then on, waitlisted candidates will slowly get accepted if there's room. This continues until about end of June. Good luck! 

22 minutes ago, And1 said:

Current U of T MPH Epi student here. They should be rolling out informal offers around the third week of April, which was the case last year. It is "informal" in the sense that the department is letting you know directly first, and they just have to go through school of graduate studies to make it official (which comes about 3 weeks after, so around mid-May). I believe those who are waitlisted also hear of the informal results around this time. The formal offer deadline is two weeks after they receive it, so it ends up being around end of May. From then on, waitlisted candidates will slowly get accepted if there's room. This continues until about end of June. Good luck! 

Is this about the same timeline for the U of T MPH behavioural sciences/health promo stream?

1 hour ago, nads6 said:

Is this about the same timeline for the U of T MPH behavioural sciences/health promo stream?

Yup, I believe it was about the same. If you look at last year's thread for MPH programs in Canada, you'd be able to get a rough sense of when the offers rolled out! 

32 minutes ago, And1 said:

Yup, I believe it was about the same. If you look at last year's thread for MPH programs in Canada, you'd be able to get a rough sense of when the offers rolled out! 

Does anyone know how UofT calculates gpa? Do they also use summer credits? For example, If I am currently in my fourth year and have 3 credits from last semester which credits from my third year second semester will they use? Will they take the average of that year for those credits left?

12 hours ago, canadian.azn said:

I called Queens when people first started to hear back. They told me they had just submitted the first round and were awaiting their responses by March 31 and then would do the second round. I assumed the second round must have been this week as some people have mentioned they got in or got rejected. I find it a bit odd because it they go out in rounds, should it have been done in batches (all in one day or so)? But I've only seen a few responses this week on Queens... I'm just worried/confused as I haven't heard anything and do not know what to make of this :( 

I also haven't heard anything back either accept/reject. Maybe there is a third round going out?!

20 hours ago, mph_hopeful!! said:

Hi everyone! I figured I would finally post! I have applied to U of T, UBC, Guelph, and Memorial for MPH. I've been rejected from UBC, but haven't heard back from any of the other schools yet, which has me worried. I understand some of you have already heard back from Guelph indicating if you've been accepted or waitlisted? Do you think my not having heard yet means I should be expected a rejection...? And do any of you know when I should expect to hear from Memorial? I know U of T takes a while, but I had expected to hear from other schools before now...

Any insight would be amazing! :)

I was offered Guelph (accepted).  My deadline to accept was April 10th.  I would assume more offers would go out after this? Hope that helps :) 

10 hours ago, And1 said:

Do you mind if I ask why you chose U of T? As opposed to a thesis-based Masters in Epidemiology? Are you happy with your choice/do you like the program?

57 minutes ago, epi2017 said:

Do you mind if I ask why you chose U of T? As opposed to a thesis-based Masters in Epidemiology? Are you happy with your choice/do you like the program?

Haha oh my goodness, this is a question that I have an absolutely loaded answer to, so prepare yourselves... For anyone else who would prefer to message me privately to ask questions about your upcoming decisions, feel free! Or just reply as a thread here, so everyone can benefit. Anyways, here goes: 

Funny you mention that, because I actually was going to pursue an MSc initially.. I had applied to the MSc epi program at the University of Guelph and the MSc in Public Health and Health Systems at University of Waterloo (did my undergrad there). While the degree at UW was not a formal epi degree, I was going to work under an epidemiologist and do an epi-based thesis. Now initially I had tried to sway myself to doing an MSc because they come with funding, and of course that comes to mind for many students as they make their decisions. I won OGS ($15,000) for both UW and Guelph. I was actually very set on doing my MSc at UW and was even working for that supervisor last summer prior to the start of the school year.

However, I realized that the MPH Epi program at U of T was the one that I truly wanted, and I was letting money get in the way. For one, I wanted to do a formal epidemiology program. Two, before applying to any programs my plan was always to work in Toronto once I was done school. I knew that the U of T program would provide the best connections for that to happen. I also began to realize that I did not want to pursue an academic career, and wanted to work in public health, meaning the MPH was more suitable than an MSc. Of course, it doesn't mean you have to go for an academic career just because you're doing an MSc. Not at all! Just saying MPH is more geared towards working in an applied setting out of the gate. Because of all this, I made the very tough decision almost a year ago to walk into the office and let the supervisor know that I have changed my mind and will be attending U of T instead. 

Lastly, yes, I am very happy with the program. I am almost done this term, and will start my practicum placement soon. It's exciting to get actual work experience in an epidemiologist role, which of course is valuable as you try to obtain a job after graduating!

I apologize to everyone for writing such a long post. But this is a problem that students face all the time. Not just in terms of epidemiology, but trying to make the right grad school decision. There are so many factors to consider and it can get daunting knowing that your decision can potentially make a big change in your career. Again, feel free to message me if you have any questions about grad school, and I'll try my best. I usually try my best to provide unbiased answers :)

Edited by And1

14 hours ago, And1 said:

Haha oh my goodness, this is a question that I have an absolutely loaded answer to, so prepare yourselves... For anyone else who would prefer to message me privately to ask questions about your upcoming decisions, feel free! Or just reply as a thread here, so everyone can benefit. Anyways, here goes: 

Funny you mention that, because I actually was going to pursue an MSc initially.. I had applied to the MSc epi program at the University of Guelph and the MSc in Public Health and Health Systems at University of Waterloo (did my undergrad there). While the degree at UW was not a formal epi degree, I was going to work under an epidemiologist and do an epi-based thesis. Now initially I had tried to sway myself to doing an MSc because they come with funding, and of course that comes to mind for many students as they make their decisions. I won OGS ($15,000) for both UW and Guelph. I was actually very set on doing my MSc at UW and was even working for that supervisor last summer prior to the start of the school year.

However, I realized that the MPH Epi program at U of T was the one that I truly wanted, and I was letting money get in the way. For one, I wanted to do a formal epidemiology program. Two, before applying to any programs my plan was always to work in Toronto once I was done school. I knew that the U of T program would provide the best connections for that to happen. I also began to realize that I did not want to pursue an academic career, and wanted to work in public health, meaning the MPH was more suitable than an MSc. Of course, it doesn't mean you have to go for an academic career just because you're doing an MSc. Not at all! Just saying MPH is more geared towards working in an applied setting out of the gate. Because of all this, I made the very tough decision almost a year ago to walk into the office and let the supervisor know that I have changed my mind and will be attending U of T instead. 

Lastly, yes, I am very happy with the program. I am almost done this term, and will start my practicum placement soon. It's exciting to get actual work experience in an epidemiologist role, which of course is valuable as you try to obtain a job after graduating!

I apologize to everyone for writing such a long post. But this is a problem that students face all the time. Not just in terms of epidemiology, but trying to make the right grad school decision. There are so many factors to consider and it can get daunting knowing that your decision can potentially make a big change in your career. Again, feel free to message me if you have any questions about grad school, and I'll try my best. I usually try my best to provide unbiased answers :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I am in a very similar boat to you so that is helpful. I've always had U of T as my first choice because of the practicums they offer as well as the focus on epi, but the advice I've been getting from profs and my coworkers (I work at PHAC) is to do an MSc. I also got a lot of funding at Western so it's going to be a super tough decision (if I do get in to U of T).

One other question - do students ever do their practicums in other cities? Or are they all in Toronto?

Emailed Guelph because I still haven't heard and was told that they have sent out all of their acceptances and waitlist notifications and that because I hadn't heard yet, I would likely be receiving a rejection notification. 

"Thank you for email. Admission to the program is highly competitive and we receive many more applications than spaces available. Successful applicants have been notified via Web Advisor. Candidates on the wait list have also been contacted. Unfortunately, if you have not been notified that you are on the wait list or received an Offer of Admission, you will be likely be receiving a refusal. All applicants will be given a final notification regarding their application, but due to the large number of applications received the notification process will take time"

47 minutes ago, epi2017 said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I am in a very similar boat to you so that is helpful. I've always had U of T as my first choice because of the practicums they offer as well as the focus on epi, but the advice I've been getting from profs and my coworkers (I work at PHAC) is to do an MSc. I also got a lot of funding at Western so it's going to be a super tough decision (if I do get in to U of T).

One other question - do students ever do their practicums in other cities? Or are they all in Toronto?

I was originally going to post on here, but I think it will be best through a personal message! Any others can feel free to message me as well. 

1 hour ago, haylz said:

Emailed Guelph because I still haven't heard and was told that they have sent out all of their acceptances and waitlist notifications and that because I hadn't heard yet, I would likely be receiving a rejection notification. 

"Thank you for email. Admission to the program is highly competitive and we receive many more applications than spaces available. Successful applicants have been notified via Web Advisor. Candidates on the wait list have also been contacted. Unfortunately, if you have not been notified that you are on the wait list or received an Offer of Admission, you will be likely be receiving a refusal. All applicants will be given a final notification regarding their application, but due to the large number of applications received the notification process will take time"

well that's a pleasant thing to read on a Monday morning. I had high hopes for Guelph - guess not anymore.

26 minutes ago, naynay said:

well that's a pleasant thing to read on a Monday morning. I had high hopes for Guelph - guess not anymore.

Yeah I had high hopes for Guelph as well. Really sucks. 

Hey guys, I'm waitlisted at McMaster and Western and I still have not heard back from Guelph or Queens so I'm guessing those will be rejections. I haven't seen anyone say they got accepted after being waitlisted yet. Should I be hopeful about getting off the waitlist or is it a very slim chance? Also, are a lot of people who have already accepted offers to schools waiting to hear back from U of T and then will be switching if they get accepted?