MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

On 4/11/2017 at 1:06 PM, jenniferkp said:

Hi! Im wondering if you'd be willing to share a little but about your experience/stats after being accepted at UBC. GPA? previous work experience? if you're a new grad or not? UBC is my dream and I'd love to know what it takes to get in!

@jenniferkp, I graduated from a psychiatric nursing program at the end of 2015, therefore I've been working in the community as a mental health nurse in a few different areas (eating disorders, addictions and forensic psychiatry, to name a few) since then. I also obtained quite a bit of clinical experience while completing my degree (which may or may not have helped my application as none of these were in public health per se). Outside of nursing, I've done a lot of volunteer work, some of which has been overseas since my main interest has always been global health. In terms of my GPA, I believe it was 3.92 overall when I graduated. This is also including a previous degree I obtained in anthropology. 

I just found out I got accepted into UVic as well, but at this point given the international opportunities offered by UBC, I'll probably stick with my first choice :) Let me know if you have any more questions! 

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

@jenniferkp, I graduated from a psychiatric nursing program at the end of 2015, therefore I've been working in the community as a mental health nurse in a few different areas (eating disorders, addictions and forensic psychiatry, to name a few) since then. I also obtained quite a bit of clinical experience while completing my degree (which may or may not have helped my application as none of these were in public health per se). Outside of nursing, I've done a lot of volunteer work, some of which has been overseas since my main interest has always been global health. In terms of my GPA, I believe it was 3.92 overall when I graduated. This is also including a previous degree I obtained in anthropology. 

I just found out I got accepted into UVic as well, but at this point given the international opportunities offered by UBC, I'll probably stick with my first choice :) Let me know if you have any more questions! 

Thank you so much! This gives me hope, good luck with your studies. Cheers!

41 minutes ago, lmm said:

Would you be able to let us know when / how you were contacted by Uvic? And which stream did you apply for at Uvic? 

1 hour ago, rntomph said:

Hi friends!

I was accepted to UBC's MPH/MSN program today, and I'll be taking this offer since this is the only program I applied to. 

Good luck, everyone!

Congrats on the acceptance, they come out so late! Would you be willing to share your stats? Are you a newer nursing graduate? 

2 hours ago, WaitingforAdmission said:

I also received my acceptance into UVIc MPH. It was sent by email. My application status on the portal still says "under review" though.

2 hours ago, WaitingforAdmission said:

I also received my acceptance into UVIc MPH. It was sent by email. My application status on the portal still says "under review" though.

Hey congrats you two :) if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? 

1 minute ago, Mph17 said:

Hey congrats you two :) if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? 

BA Hon Psych from a Canadian university. 3.7 (last 2 years GPA), 3.55 (cGPA). 158Q 163V GRE. 

Over three years of research experience, including 6 months in clinical research after my undergraduate at the time of my application.

No publications, no health-related volunteering; extensive volunteering in two undergraduate organizations.

This is a general question to everyone, I was browsing the website for LSHTM and the deadline for MPH and Global Health in distance learning applications are August 31st. Could someone confirm that I read this right? If so when do successful applicants start class? 

13 hours ago, Mph17 said:

This is a general question to everyone, I was browsing the website for LSHTM and the deadline for MPH and Global Health in distance learning applications are August 31st. Could someone confirm that I read this right? If so when do successful applicants start class? 

I saw this too! I think they'll accept you before then if you submit an application or up until the class gets filled.

On 04/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, heidiwind1 said:

When did you receive a rejection? Did anything change for you on the application portal? 

They did the same thing with me. Its been 2 weeks I saw my status change to Admission Denied on their portal. But still no emails

14 hours ago, Mph17 said:

LSHTM has a rolling admission policy and even though their acceptance rates are higher still its competitive to get an offer. Applying close to the deadline is not a wise idea as they might enrol you for the next (2018) session instead due to seats been all filled (on a rolling policy)

Classes begin in late Sep.

Edited by dr_pakistan

2 hours ago, dr_pakistan said:

LSHTM has a rolling admission policy and even though their acceptance rates are higher still its competitive to get an offer. Applying close to the deadline is not a wise idea as they might enrol you for the next (2018) session instead due to seats been all filled (on a rolling policy)

Classes begin in late Sep.

I applied in December and got an offer for the MscPh distance program via LSHTM. It is inciting... I like the idea of an international perspective and learning outside of a country you live in. Blended learning option is really inciting as well.  Where did you apply? General thoughts of the distance program?

Edited by vancouverrunner

19 hours ago, WaitingforAdmission said:

Congrats! They must be going through the applications now.I didn't apply to a certain stream with hopes to decide in the future.

16 hours ago, Mph17 said:

Have you decided between Global Health and MPH? I applied to the MscPh via LSHTM thinking that the MPH would be more universally recognized but at the same time, I havnt really looked into what you can do with a Masters of Global Health. Are they regarded the same? I like the idea of global health as I believe there are no borders when it comes to public health.

23 hours ago, Mph17 said:

Would you be able to let us know when / how you were contacted by Uvic? And which stream did you apply for at Uvic? 

@Mph17 and @vancouverrunner, I just got an e-mail yesterday afternoon. I applied for the Indigenous Peoples' Health stream.

16 minutes ago, friesandwater said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Waterloo and queens? 

Hey,

I called Waterloo and they said you should hear back from now till end of April.