MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

13 minutes ago, nads6 said:

Yeah, I still haven't heard from Waterloo!

Yeah..still no reply from waterloo and UOfT. Rejected from McMaster n UofT is too competitive.. so relying on UWaterloo's response :/

Been following this thread for almost a month now..

Edited by Nina26

21 hours ago, jenniferkp said:

Congrats on the acceptance, they come out so late! Would you be willing to share your stats? Are you a newer nursing graduate? 

Thanks! Yeah, definitely very late hearing back.

I've been a nurse for almost two years at a large hospital and at a community health centre, so I'm still pretty new. My letter of intent focused on my experience working with refugees, homeless people, and the Aboriginal community. I also volunteered for Best Buddies and at a children's hospital for a few years. My GPA was 3.7-3.8ish (last 2 years) with a B+ in stats. No publications, no research experience, and minimal scholarships/awards.

It was my second time applying to UBC, as I was waitlisted last year. Don't lose hope! :) 

On 2017-04-11 at 8:09 PM, jenniferkp said:

Thanks for the feedback! Any comment on the quantity of experience they were looking for? 

You're welcome! I think at least a year to show that you're committed and dedicated. Unfortunately, a lot of professionals seem to apply to UBC so those of us applying after our undergrad are at a disadvantage in that respect. :(

4 hours ago, MPH Canada said:

Hey,

I called Waterloo and they said you should hear back from now till end of April.

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, pha said:

Me still for Queens! Does yours also still say "application complete"?

Mine says "application submitted", is that what yours says? Maybe there's an issue with mine if it's supposed to say "complete" :o 

3 hours ago, rntomph said:

Thanks! Yeah, definitely very late hearing back.

I've been a nurse for almost two years at a large hospital and at a community health centre, so I'm still pretty new. My letter of intent focused on my experience working with refugees, homeless people, and the Aboriginal community. I also volunteered for Best Buddies and at a children's hospital for a few years. My GPA was 3.7-3.8ish (last 2 years) with a B+ in stats. No publications, no research experience, and minimal scholarships/awards.

It was my second time applying to UBC, as I was waitlisted last year. Don't lose hope! :) 

Hey @rntomph, congratulations on your admission! I am also an RN, and was accepted to the dual program for this fall. Are you planning on doing the program on-campus or by distance?

24 minutes ago, friesandwater said:

Mine says "application submitted", is that what yours says? Maybe there's an issue with mine if it's supposed to say "complete" :o 

I just double checked, mine definitely says complete! But I can't remember exactly when it changed to complete...definitely some time before people got their acceptances 

7 minutes ago, pha said:

I just double checked, mine definitely says complete! But I can't remember exactly when it changed to complete...definitely some time before people got their acceptances 

Omg.... panicking now. Just sent them an email asking. ???????. THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW! 

Edited by friesandwater

8 minutes ago, friesandwater said:

Omg.... panicking now. Just sent them an email asking. ???????. THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW! 

haha I'm going to email too. It seems to be getting late and I'm not sure if I'm waitlisted or not?! Good luck!!

13 minutes ago, pha said:

haha I'm going to email too. It seems to be getting late and I'm not sure if I'm waitlisted or not?! Good luck!!

Goodluck to you too! 

9 minutes ago, Tahnin said:

Yup, me too. No news from Waterloo. 

Okay, damnn. 

17 hours ago, MPH Canada said:

Hey guys,

I got into Mcmaster and Guelph. I am debating on which school to go to...Any insight is appreciated!

Hey I am a current student at Guelph MPH, if you have any questions feel free to inbox me! 

For those who have accepted their offers to queen's mph program, have you been asked to pay a deposit as of yet? ... I haven't so I wasn't sure if I should be following up 

3 hours ago, pizza17 said:

For those who have accepted their offers to queen's mph program, have you been asked to pay a deposit as of yet? ... I haven't so I wasn't sure if I should be following up 

Hey no I haven't. I think because the offer is still conditional, they won't ask you to put a deposit until you have your final grades in. 

4 hours ago, pizza17 said:

53 minutes ago, axcv said:

Hey no I haven't. I think because the offer is still conditional, they won't ask you to put a deposit until you have your final grades in. 

I was never told that my offer was conditional because I have already graduated from my undergraduate degree. I also have not been asked for a deposit

Hey other U of T hopefuls. 

I emailed the MPH department asking if I could hear a decision on my application before March 31, since I had a deadline to accept another offer + scholarship before that point. 

They told me THE FIRST ROUND OF U OF T MPH OFFERS WILL BE SENT OUT APRIL 30TH. So now we have a specific date. *nail-biting*

No worries for me though - the school that gave me my other offer allowed me to have until May 15th to accept. If I don't hear from U of T by then, I'll just accept the backup and change my offer later (though I really don't want to do that because that seems so unethical...).

Sending positive thoughts to everyone <3

Edited by pdf58

7 hours ago, pizza17 said:

No I did not get asked for a deposit. My offer is not conditional.

45 minutes ago, pdf58 said:

I emailed the MPH department asking if I could hear a decision on my application before March 31, since I had a deadline to accept another offer + scholarship before that point. 

They told me THE FIRST ROUND OF U OF T MPH OFFERS WILL BE SENT OUT APRIL 30TH. So now we have a specific date. *nail-biting*

No worries for me though - the school that gave me my other offer allowed me to have until May 15th to accept. If I don't hear from U of T by then, I'll just accept the backup and change my offer later (though I really don't want to do that because that seems so unethical...).

Lol I guess I am unethical:lol:

I accepted 3 offers but I'm still holding out for UofT since it is my first choice. 

25 minutes ago, purpleace said:

Lol I guess I am unethical:lol:

I accepted 3 offers but I'm still holding out for UofT since it is my first choice. 

LOL :P 

I take back that thing I said about it being unethical. I mean, a university is a business, right? so ethics probably doesn't come into it much. It's just "You going to give us your money? no? cool. Next please!" 

Never mind. Honestly as students, you gotta do what you gotta do. 

18 hours ago, pdf58 said:

Hey! I just received my UofT acceptance for social and behavioural sciences at about 1pm today. 

1 hour ago, Hanihee said:

Hey! I just received my UofT acceptance for social and behavioural sciences at about 1pm today. 

Congrats!!! Somewhat odd they're sending out offers on a long weekend, though.

So I guess April 30th is not a strict date, they might be contacting us even earlier (which is great).

Does anyone have any feedback versus why they chose the MPH program at UBC versus, for example, UVic? I'm still weighing my options but having a hard time deciding as there isn't a whole lot of information on the UVic website regarding their program. 

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, lmm said:

Does anyone have any feedback versus why they chose the MPH program at UBC versus, for example, UVic? I'm still weighing my options but having a hard time deciding as there isn't a whole lot of information on the UVic website regarding their program. 

Thanks in advance.

I looked into them and found that the major differences were:
UVic = online program, no GRE required
UBC = renowned institution, GRE required

I choose neither in the end

4 hours ago, joelcollard6 said:

I looked into them and found that the major differences were:
UVic = online program, no GRE required
UBC = renowned institution, GRE required

I choose neither in the end

The GRE at UBC is recommended however not required. They're a little iffy on this one I think on their admission criteria, so if you're undergrad stats course/background proves your quantitative ability from my understanding the GRE is not required.