MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

I received my acceptance for u of t health promo today (or last night I guess, I'm in Asia right now so time is confusing). It was super surprising since I got rejected at ubc I really didn't expect it. Now choosing between u of t and global health at SFU. 

SFU is closer to home and much less expensive. I like that u of t has two practicums, and I feel like I could possibly make better connections there (since I ideally want to work for some sort of international health NGO), and obviously more prestigious, but it's also a lot more expensive (tuition-wise and living in TO). I would love any insight anyone has! 

On 4/25/2017 at 11:22 PM, elop said:

How are you contacting them to get feedback? I also got rejected and am wondering about how to strength my applications in the future. Some of the schools have said that they cannot provide information on individual applications. I think UBC said that.

I responded to a message I had received earlier from them. I have not heard back, unsurprisingly. Best of luck to you. I will post if I hear back from anyone or if I reach someone. :)

21 hours ago, MPHsal said:

I just got an email from Shona at the University of Alberta - I have been recommended for admission. I applied to the MPH Health Promotion stream.

In the email, it says that the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) is is 2-3 weeks behind with admissions. This is why some people have already received updates in their portal and why some people are still "Under Review". I just logged in to the portal and my application is still listed as "Under Review" so I guess that will be updated relatively soon. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congratulations on your admission!!! May I ask you what your "stats"are? GPA, experience etc? I am not certain they will ever get back to me on how I can make my application stronger so you may be able to give me some idea. Again, congrats and good luck!

Hi, I have completed my undergrad in dentistry from India. I am interested in doing MPH. But I am unable to decide where to pursue it. I have read about unis in both Canada and Australia. Can anyone tell me which country is a better choice to do mph, in terms of job prospects, salary and getting a pr?

Further does an Australian education give you good job prospects in Canada? And is the vice versa true?

1 hour ago, mph2k17 said:

Does anyone else go to uoft and still can't access their email? I'm dying to know if I heard back from uoft for health promo!

I can't access my email either. This is so annoying!!

Does anyone know how many students UT admits to each of their streams? I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Even stats from previous years would be useful to get an idea. I know standard graduate programs admit between 6-8 new applicants, but this could be for a master's - PhD program, would this be the same at UT MPH in Epi or Health Promo? Any feedback is appreciated thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Mph17 said:

Does anyone know how many students UT admits to each of their streams? I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Even stats from previous years would be useful to get an idea. I know standard graduate programs admit between 6-8 new applicants, but this could be for a master's - PhD program, would this be the same at UT MPH in Epi or Health Promo? Any feedback is appreciated thanks. 

Health promotion is 40. They receive over 400 applications 

28 minutes ago, friesandwater said:

Health promotion is 40. They receive over 400 applications 

Would you mind confirming if youre a current UT MPH student? If not, where did you find this number? 

1 hour ago, Mph17 said:

Would you mind confirming if youre a current UT MPH student? If not, where did you find this number? 

I believe it's on the website and I went to an admissions information session in the fall and they stated it there. 

1 hour ago, Mph17 said:

Where did you find this info? 

I emailed the program director, if you didn't get an email then you are rejected.

Dear ,

Thank you for your inquiry about your application status. I regret to inform you that you will not be receiving an offer for admission to the Master of Public Health Program.  We received a record number of 409 applications this year and are only accepting 40 students.  You will receive an offical notice of decision from the graduate office in the coming week or two.

I wish you all the best in your academic and career endeavours.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from U of A? I am reading all these posts of people receiving news and it makes me even more anxious as all my other friends have heard back except for me.

I applied to the Health Promotion stream.

38 minutes ago, EmPeeAych said:

I emailed the program director, if you didn't get an email then you are rejected.

Dear ,

Thank you for your inquiry about your application status. I regret to inform you that you will not be receiving an offer for admission to the Master of Public Health Program.  We received a record number of 409 applications this year and are only accepting 40 students.  You will receive an offical notice of decision from the graduate office in the coming week or two.

I wish you all the best in your academic and career endeavours.

Hi thanks for the feedback. Do you know if it's the same for uvic? I haven't heard from them yet so I don't know if that means it's a rejection? 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:39 AM, mph2017 said:

Thank you!

Did they send you an e-mail to your regular email? The one you included on your profile? (sorry for all the questions!! I called them but  they don't give any information about applications...)

They only sent an email to my UofT email (since I'm a UofT student). And no problem :) I'm happy to answer what I can

9 hours ago, mph2k17 said:

Does anyone else go to uoft and still can't access their email? I'm dying to know if I heard back from uoft for health promo!

UTMail is still down for me too :(

4 hours ago, mariont19 said:

Is the 40 people for the entire MPH program at U of T or just the health promotion stream?

Just health promo. EPI is somewhere around 40-50ish, OEH is 16 and Nutrition is about 15 i think.

6 hours ago, TJCM2017 said:

Just health promo. EPI is somewhere around 40-50ish, OEH is 16 and Nutrition is about 15 i think.

Current epi student here. Our cohort this past fall was about 40. Health Promotion has always been the largest program, I think they were almost 50 this year. So if they are 40 this upcoming year, I guess they have decided to shrink it back down to their previous sizes! Not sure if epi would do the same, but I can't see it being larger than health promo (unless you contacted them and confirmed). You are spot on about the OEH and Nutrition programs, they are quite small. Best of luck!