• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ejpril88 said:

Hey guys, just wanted to say hi and keep this thread alive :) How are you all doing?

I hope everyone has gotten closure and this season of applications is OVER!

Finally got closure. 0/3. Honestly, really frustrated considering I worked my ass off to present at 2 conferences and get a publication in a top journal as a masters student.  Maybe academia isn't for me.

1 hour ago, bgjoecool27 said:

Finally got closure. 0/3. Honestly, really frustrated considering I worked my ass off to present at 2 conferences and get a publication in a top journal as a masters student.  Maybe academia isn't for me.

I'm sorry to hear that... But I know many highly qualified applicants who went 0/10+ schools their first cycle and got multiple offers the following year. There is are so many factors that go into these decisions that in the end, I feel like sheer luck is the determining factor... Even if a school is really a good fit and they like you, they may already have a lot of students with similar research interests and decided to take students researching other topics this year.. perhaps the professor that was fighting for you wasn't as influential on the ad comm as other students... Or maybe those three schools you applied to had a flood of applicants that happened to have 2 major publications... Who knows.. maybe try again next year with more schools? If you have the ability to be published in a major journal as a MA student, academia does sound like where you should be!!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 12:38 AM, cinderellasyndrome said:

Ahh when did you get in? I still haven't heard from them and I'm losing my mind

Last year! If you have any questions about the program feel free to reach out.