Fall 2017 PhD Thread

7 hours ago, RoadtoPhD said:

Keep your head up!! The process Is most definitely not fun, but also have to think that even if you don't have funding now doesn't mean you won't get it later on once people start accepting/rejecting offers. What schools are you waiting on?

I'm waiting on Central Florida and Florida International.

Hey iquit, I'm not sure where your original post went, but I'm going to be brutally honest with you. There are some of us here that were accepted prior to the deadline at FSU and not given funding. The fact that you were accepted so early is admirable. However, funding may or may not be there for you. The only reason I am talking to you like this and not being "politically correct" is because I prefer the truth no matter how difficult it is to swallow. You may get lucky, but don't count on it. In other words, don't set yourself up for disappointment. I wish you the best and I hope that you prove me wrong.

12 hours ago, Square49 said:

There are a few potential reasons, but sometimes the lower ranked schools reject you if they think you're likely to be accepted to a better program and are applying to their program in order to set up a safety net. It's like applying to a job one is overqualified to work at. 

Thank you for saying that to me. Your reasoning may or may not be accurate, but you have at least given me a cushion on which my fall from grace will land. It takes away some of the hurt. You are truly a compassionate person. And, by the way... I sensed some empathy in your response. Suck on that! :)

14 hours ago, Waitingforgrad said:

Whenever I see on the admissions results page that someone has heard back from a school I haven't, I always feel super anxious and sad. I would rather the school just reject me than play this waiting game sometimes. 

I feel exactly the same.