Fall 2017 PhD Thread

8 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

So just waiting to do the preview weekend at SAM on March 2nd to 4th, and hear from University of Ilinois- Chicago  

Anyone make any final decisions ye? Just curious 

Best of luck for your up on no trip to SAM. 

I had thought it would be an easy choice if I was accepted to my first choice (UCI) but after having more interaction with faculty at another institution I'm not so sure.

Not sure if anyone is waiting on American, but I received an email to check the website and was admitted with funding ($20,000 stipend and $1,000 for research travel)

PS This is the only Criminology program I applied to, the rest of my apps went to Sociology programs with a criminology focus.

Edited by HopefulSoc

9 hours ago, HopefulSoc said:

Not sure if anyone is waiting on American, but I received an email to check the website and was admitted with funding ($20,000 stipend and $1,000 for research travel)

PS This is the only Criminology program I applied to, the rest of my apps went to Sociology programs with a criminology focus.

CONGRATS!

Congratulations to all those fortunate enough to have secured admission offers. Best wishes for all of those still waiting to hear back from programs. 

For those of you that already have offers, what are some of the biggest deciding factors as you all weigh your offers? How are you making your decisions?

39 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Congratulations to all those fortunate enough to have secured admission offers. Best wishes for all of those still waiting to hear back from programs. 

For those of you that already have offers, what are some of the biggest deciding factors as you all weigh your offers? How are you making your decisions?

I think I've been considering three main factors

1) Fit

2) Program quality

3) Quality of life

6 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I think definitely the fit in terms of the faculty and the program in general. Look at where you want to be in a couple years and which program can get you there!

On 2/21/2017 at 11:35 AM, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Great Q! I'm wondering the same. My priorities at the moment:

1)Fit with # POIs and their current work

2)Ability to publish with faculty

3)Existing research-practitioner partnerships with opportunities for student work

4)POI mentorship style/availability (how busy are they - will they have time to meet? Does their apparent mentorship style mesh with mine?)

5)Program Quality/Job placement after PhD

6)Attrition Rate for program

7)Comp Style/Pass Rate

8)Expectations for assistantship and type of work (GA/TA/RA, etc)

9)Funding

10)Quality of life/program style (What's the program like? Cutthroat? Supportive? Competitive?)

11)Location

@AspiringScholar17 @RoadtoPhD @aml149 (caveat: this might be a stupid question but I figured rather ask than mess it up somehow)

Did you guys accept the admissions offer from Cinci by signing the first page of the offers attachment you received or did you "indicate your acceptance of the admissions offer" via email or something else? 

So, this is my situation now. Welcome any advice, please. Let's say there are two school: A and B, both give you acceptance already.

A doesn't give you any funding with the acceptance. However, it's very near DC, where many research organizations and opportunities are, and the A has its own research center, which matches your research focus; yet only two professors (also in the research center) are doing what you want to do.

B offers you funding: assistantship and tuition waiver for the first two years. However, it's a very small program (less than 8 incoming PhD students per year), and its location is far away from any research organizations (almost like in a peaceful countryside); yet B has two to three professors whose research interests match yours.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages so I'm confused about what I should based on to decide. Need help lol

On 2/24/2017 at 10:50 PM, wknd_worrier said:

@AspiringScholar17 @RoadtoPhD @aml149 (caveat: this might be a stupid question but I figured rather ask than mess it up somehow)

Did you guys accept the admissions offer from Cinci by signing the first page of the offers attachment you received or did you "indicate your acceptance of the admissions offer" via email or something else? 

I haven't done much with that to be honest. Last time I spoke with Dr. Sullivan he said there would be a way to indicate acceptance through the portal but haven't seen that happen yet

On 2/24/2017 at 10:50 PM, wknd_worrier said:

Are you guys all accepting Cincy?

On 2/24/2017 at 10:55 PM, Aarchangels said:

So, this is my situation now. Welcome any advice, please. Let's say there are two school: A and B, both give you acceptance already.

A doesn't give you any funding with the acceptance. However, it's very near DC, where many research organizations and opportunities are, and the A has its own research center, which matches your research focus; yet only two professors (also in the research center) are doing what you want to do.

B offers you funding: assistantship and tuition waiver for the first two years. However, it's a very small program (less than 8 incoming PhD students per year), and its location is far away from any research organizations (almost like in a peaceful countryside); yet B has two to three professors whose research interests match yours.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages so I'm confused about what I should based on to decide. Need help lol

Personally, I would go with school B. You don't have to worry about money (which is a concern for me, but may not be as much for others), you'll have the advantage of a small cohort which will hopefully manifest with a lot of personal attention from faculty and more funding for travel, and having three profs there with similar interests means that you get support and guidance for your research, but you also will have the benefit of differing perspectives. And, if one leaves or goes on sabbatical, you have the other two as backups.

8 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

Are you guys all accepting Cincy?

I'm not sure where I'll end up yet! I didn't mean the official acceptance it's a little odd you have to indicate your acceptance of the admissions offer within a few weeks to "indicate your continued interest" but that's not the same as actuallyyy accepting the offer if that makes sense 

1 hour ago, wknd_worrier said:

I'm not sure where I'll end up yet! I didn't mean the official acceptance it's a little odd you have to indicate your acceptance of the admissions offer within a few weeks to "indicate your continued interest" but that's not the same as actuallyyy accepting the offer if that makes sense 

Weird...but makes sense I guess. That way they can move along to others sooner if/when accepted applicants indicate their disinterest. To your knowledge is that common?