Fall 2017 PhD Thread

6 hours ago, HerbieLove said:

At least I'm in school so trying to focus on that to distract me but it's not working so well...

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I envy you for being in school right now! I graduated in December, so I'm just working as a research assistant right now, and believe me it's not enough to keep me preoccupied!!

13 minutes ago, aml149 said:

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I envy you for being in school right now! I graduated in December, so I'm just working as a research assistant right now, and believe me it's not enough to keep me preoccupied!!

@aml149 I'm still in school too, just finishing up my thesis and revising a couple publications that recently got accepted, but my oh my...the anxiety struggle is too real! Trying to remain calm and stay positive, but the nerves are far too high. In short, I totally feel for you. If I got paid a dollar for every sleepless and/or restless night I've had over this process, I'd be a rockstar. :P 

16 minutes ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@aml149 If I got paid a dollar for every sleepless and/or restless night I've had over this process, I'd be a rockstar. :P 

Pretty sure I'd make more than I currently do ;) I have faith that we will all come out of this application season alive and happy! Best of luck on all your thesis stuff! What a process that was.

Edited by aml149

2 hours ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@OptimiscallyAnxious Someone got offered an invitation for an interview from UCI -- check the other recent thread on this gradcafe forum!

I assume it was sent out through email, but I checked my UCI application tracker and mine still says "being reviewed". I assume they would send them all at the same time, but i may be wrong.
Did you hear back from UCI? The person who was offered the invite posted approx 10 hours ago? Meaning, it was offered yesterday to them.

@AspiringScholar17 I noticed the new thread this morning. I just received an email from UCI's Criminology graduate coordinator this morning inviting me to the interview event. It seems like it was a general (not personalized) email. Hopefully, you also received one and I'll be meeting you in person soon. 

Congrats on interviews for those who received an invite! Might be a dumb question, but how do I make my own signature that way I can keep the trend going of letting everyone know my application statuses??

51 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

@AspiringScholar17 I noticed the new thread this morning. I just received an email from UCI's Criminology graduate coordinator this morning inviting me to the interview event. It seems like it was a general (not personalized) email. Hopefully, you also received one and I'll be meeting you in person soon. 

Didnt get an email :| 

oh well! I'll keep waiting for official news until something definitive happens . 

Congrats though !  

2 minutes ago, RoadtoPhD said:

PS the more anxious I get waiting the more I keep checking this forum!

I think this forum has been more active in the last 3 days than in the whole time since it was created! lol. I keep checking the results page, actually bookmarked it, even though I know nothing is going to happen for my schools until at least next week. The struggle is seriously real!

17 minutes ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

Didnt get an email :| 

oh well! I'll keep waiting for official news until something definitive happens . 

Congrats though !  

@AspiringScholar17 Considering that the other person received the invite yesterday and I only got mine this morning, they are probably haven't sent them out all at once. More invites may be getting sent out over the next few days. Perhaps I only got my invite today because aI had pestered them yesterday when I emailed them to inquire/clarify the interview information on the website. 

@aml149 @RoadtoPhD I keep checking my email too! By "results" page, do you mean our application trackers? Or is there a separate results page that I should be checking? :o

@OptimiscallyAnxious Hmm, good point. Here's to hoping! I assumed they would email everyone at the same time, but you may be right. In any case, good luck w the interview! :) exciting!

46 minutes ago, aml149 said:

@AspiringScholar17 I mean the grad cafe's results search page! I bookmarked mine with the crimin* search so it shows all criminal justice/criminology programs, regardless of the wording they use. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=crimin*

WOAH! Never knew the grad cafe even had such a thing.
Another night of waiting :P shots, anyone? Haha

1 hour ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

WOAH! Never knew the grad cafe even had such a thing.
Another night of waiting :P shots, anyone? Haha

Wahhhhh?! That's the only reason I even came to this place hah! Finding these forums was just the cherry on top! 

On 1/11/2017 at 7:23 PM, AspiringScholar17 said:

@fall2016applicant Thank you for your insights about NEU! Yes, I assume that applicants will hear back sometime in late Jan/early feb! How was the interview process? What kind of things do they ask -- that is, if you know and are willing to share some common insight : )

@OptimiscallyAnxious woah! That's relatively soon...I recently got an email from UCI saying that my application is being reviewed, but nothing close to an invitation for an interview -- it was more of a "thank you for applying" and "we are evaluating applicants now" email. A general email to say the least. Given the interview dates, I expect the school to get back to its prospective students by the end of next week? Hopefully sooner...

Is Irvine's interview process also an interview weekend like NE where they cut the prospective students down to a few after the interviews? And does anyone know if they pay for the flight there? Accommodations? Or is that out of pocket?

The interview process at NEU is super relaxed. You'll never get grilled with questions or even feel like you're in an interview really. It's mostly just chatting with professors; as I said before I think it's mostly about fit at this stage. 

One specific piece of advice I can provide is that a million people will ask you what your research interests are, and it will make your life easier if you have a 1-2 sentence answer prepared.

28 minutes ago, fall2016applicant said:

The interview process at NEU is super relaxed. You'll never get grilled with questions or even feel like you're in an interview really. It's mostly just chatting with professors; as I said before I think it's mostly about fit at this stage. 

One specific piece of advice I can provide is that a million people will ask you what your research interests are, and it will make your life easier if you have a 1-2 sentence answer prepared.

Very helpful! Do you happen to remember around what time they let you know you were chosen for an interview?

On 1/13/2017 at 11:39 AM, aml149 said:

Lol! You might be going crazy for saying that. :-P I'm procrastinating hard on my school work and it's not good. Haha. If you don't mind me asking, where are you working as a research assistant/what type of project are you working on?

On 1/13/2017 at 11:54 AM, AspiringScholar17 said:

@aml149 I'm still in school too, just finishing up my thesis and revising a couple publications that recently got accepted, but my oh my...the anxiety struggle is too real! Trying to remain calm and stay positive, but the nerves are far too high. In short, I totally feel for you. If I got paid a dollar for every sleepless and/or restless night I've had over this process, I'd be a rockstar. :P 

I can relate to this WAYYYYY too much. That's awesome about the pubs though!!! Huge deal that you have those!!!! I hope that the anxiety goes down a notch once you start hearing back!

On 1/13/2017 at 0:11 PM, AspiringScholar17 said:

Hopefully all that will come to a rest real soon! I expect Cincinnati and MSU will come sometime in the mid-late 20s in Jan?

I think so, from the results page it looks like people found out for Cincinnati late January and very early in February. So I'd say if not next week then the week after, because their applicant weekend was the end of February last year. In terms of MSU, their applicant weekend last year was mid-March and I think people started finding out early to mid-February from them.

53 minutes ago, HerbieLove said:

Lol! You might be going crazy for saying that. :-P I'm procrastinating hard on my school work and it's not good. Haha. If you don't mind me asking, where are you working as a research assistant/what type of project are you working on?

I can relate to this WAYYYYY too much. That's awesome about the pubs though!!! Huge deal that you have those!!!! I hope that the anxiety goes down a notch once you start hearing back!

I think so, from the results page it looks like people found out for Cincinnati late January and very early in February. So I'd say if not next week then the week after, because their applicant weekend was the end of February last year. In terms of MSU, their applicant weekend last year was mid-March and I think people started finding out early to mid-February from them.

@HerbieLove I promised myself not to check back on this forum so frequently until I got in to a place, but i find myself starring at this page on both my computer and my phone every chance I get. 

1 hour ago, HerbieLove said:

I'm just working at the university where I did my Master's, with my professor who has employed me since I began the program. My first year I worked as a TA, and then I was an RA for the rest of my time. She wanted to help keep me employed as long as she could before I (hopefully) started a PhD. We're evaluating a program that provides housing and services to homeless individuals in our city.

My professor is also a Cincinnati alum, and she was there visiting last week or the week before. They told her we should know by the end of January. Looks like it could be 20-something, maybe the last Friday of the month, since that looks to be when they found out last year (so maybe only 10 more days?!). She also told me if I hadn't heard anything from them by next week, she'd email them and ask when they'd be meeting. I'll keep you informed! I really hope the applicant weekend isn't at the end of February, though, I'm going to be on a family vacation - noooo!

I saw on the results page someone was informed of an acceptance to MSU on the same day as Cincinnati, so I'm hoping they'll both be end of January! I don't know if I can wait til mid-February!

Edited by aml149
For clarity

10 minutes ago, AspiringScholar17 said:

@HerbieLove I promised myself not to check back on this forum so frequently until I got in to a place, but i find myself starring at this page on both my computer and my phone every chance I get. 

Lol I told myself I wasn't going to check this page until I got accepted somewhere... I think I've checked it several times an hour, even over the weekend!! Oh well.

Did anyone apply to George Mason? A girl in my program wanted me to keep her in the loop if I heard anything here. I know they tend to be mid- to late-January as well.

10 minutes ago, aml149 said:

Lol I told myself I wasn't going to check this page until I got accepted somewhere... I think I've checked it several times an hour, even over the weekend!! Oh well.

Did anyone apply to George Mason? A girl in my program wanted me to keep her in the loop if I heard anything here. I know they tend to be mid- to late-January as well.

Hi! I applied to George Mason, but nothing yet for me. I'm a little nervous ab that one though (it had the same deadline as Maryland and was the wk before finals so I ran out of time to spend as much time as I would've liked tailoring my SOP) so I might not be the greatest judge for them :wacko: