Jump to content

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Brooke2016 said:

I'm visiting 2 schools next week, one program offered no funding and the other is still undecided. Is wearing a suit overkill? I'm going to have a 7.5 and 6.5 hour drive each way, respectively.

I'd stick to business casual so you're more comfortable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

Weird...but makes sense I guess. That way they can move along to others sooner if/when accepted applicants indicate their disinterest. To your knowledge is that common?

 

None of the other schools I was accepted to did that, but to be fair outside of that my knowledge about any part of this process is minimal so I wouldn't really know haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2017 at 8:19 PM, Xavier Laflame said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Florida's Criminology, sociology, and Law program yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2017 at 8:19 PM, Xavier Laflame said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Florida's Criminology, sociology, and Law program yet?

Someone from my cohort was accepted about a week ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sucks... no one wants a former cop with an MA who was almost killed twice in the line. I don't have the publication and research experience that all of you do, but I've lived it. Have fun with your f'ing studying..... I'll be greeting you at Walmart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense Brooke, I know it can be hard sometimes, but don't you have two offers? If it makes you feel better at all I'm an academic and nobody picked my up at all. Straight rejection. Being down on yourself won't make your situation any better. Maybe try to get a job with the Department of Public Safety at a school you could possibly go to and take classes on remitted tuition until the professors know you and you can apply again.

I'm gonna have to be smart about going to school since they don't think I would make the cut/aren't willing to pay for me. If you want to feel sad for yourself and work at Walmart you definitely can, but it's a little hurtful to pretend that everyone with an academic focused application is just getting into all the schools. We're not.   

Edited by kiki_2_4
Darn typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so disappointed... no funding to the last school I was waiting to hear from. It's a shame that schools dole out money based on what is on paper. I am very intelligent and very qualified. I have great GPA's and GRE scores. I guess there are some people that are better.

I wish these committees could see my work ethic and loyalty and my willingness to put the university ahead of myself. 

Now I have to decide which of two programs to invest $50,000 in for the next 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2017 at 11:55 PM, Brooke2016 said:

Accepted and fully funded to UMASS! I feel terrible about continually posting good news while many of you are still lying in wait. I pray for the best for all of you.

 

3 hours ago, Brooke2016 said:

I'm so disappointed... no funding to the last school I was waiting to hear from. It's a shame that schools dole out money based on what is on paper. I am very intelligent and very qualified. I have great GPA's and GRE scores. I guess there are some people that are better.

I wish these committees could see my work ethic and loyalty and my willingness to put the university ahead of myself. 

Now I have to decide which of two programs to invest $50,000 in for the next 4 years.

Confused....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This got awkward. 

Anyone know anything/excited about Maryland? Should be hearing from them this week right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kiki_2_4 said:

This got awkward. 

Anyone know anything/excited about Maryland? Should be hearing from them this week right?

Two lucky applicants posted their acceptance to Maryland last week... I guess we are either declined or waitlisted... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, kiki_2_4 said:

This got awkward. 

Anyone know anything/excited about Maryland? Should be hearing from them this week right?

 

 

43 minutes ago, Ashitakarl said:

Two lucky applicants posted their acceptance to Maryland last week... I guess we are either declined or waitlisted... 

I got into Maryland on Friday- but that doesn't necessarily mean anything! I heard back from Cincinnati a few weeks after others on here got in and I'd been convinced that I was waitlisted when I first saw those posts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, wknd_worrier said:

 

I got into Maryland on Friday- but that doesn't necessarily mean anything! I heard back from Cincinnati a few weeks after others on here got in and I'd been convinced that I was waitlisted when I first saw those posts!

Congrats !! And yes I didn't apply but I heard Maryland is one of those schools that does more than one round of acceptances 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RoadtoPhD said:

Congrats !! And yes I didn't apply but I heard Maryland is one of those schools that does more than one round of acceptances 

 
 
 
 

Thank you :)) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone like the idea of making a new thread for decisions? I know there's lot over in the general decisions forum, but it might be helpful to make a thread within the C&CJ forum to discuss stuff like factors being taken into consideration w/ choosing, post-acceptance communication w/ faculty/DGS/etc., & other miscellaneous stuff related to the post-waiting stage? 

I just feel like with this being centered a lot around waiting for decisions it might be shitty/annoying to have this thread used for those types of discussions simultaneously. 

Just a thought! What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't mean to make this thread awkward, but someone who takes on the name "guest123456" is a coward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I've received my revised funding offer from UCI, I'm ready to submit my SIR. It's a relief to finally be done with this part of the process. 

Best of luck to all those still waiting and in the decision process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2017 at 4:26 PM, Brooke2016 said:

... with 1 reply

You can PM me if you want specific information.

I got accepted with full funding to a top 3 PhD CJ program and it was my first time applying. My grades are nothing special. I have lots of work experience as a security guard and recently as a mental health case manager, but that's not what got me in.

My point is, getting into a PhD program is much more than grades or work experience. Your statement of purpose is the MOST important thing, followed closely by your letters of recommendation.  

If you don't know how to articulate WHAT you want to study, and how it is original AND important to the overall understanding of your field, you won't get it anywhere. If your professors cannot say anything positive about your academic rigor or insight into a specific research topic, you won't get in. The purpose of a PhD is to conduct groundbreaking research, and if you cannot convince the admissions committee of your ability to do this, then you are never getting in.

 

BTW I don't mean to be facetious or blunt, but I am just trying to help you out. I'm sorry if you're frustrated. Keep revising your research interests and rewriting your statement of purpose. Ask previous professors to critique your writing too. Last but not least, make sure you go into it with a positive attitude. It will only help you if you remain positive. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2017 at 2:06 PM, wknd_worrier said:

Anyone like the idea of making a new thread for decisions? I know there's lot over in the general decisions forum, but it might be helpful to make a thread within the C&CJ forum to discuss stuff like factors being taken into consideration w/ choosing, post-acceptance communication w/ faculty/DGS/etc., & other miscellaneous stuff related to the post-waiting stage? 

I just feel like with this being centered a lot around waiting for decisions it might be shitty/annoying to have this thread used for those types of discussions simultaneously. 

Just a thought! What do you guys think?

I think this is a great idea! I will be watching it anxiously as I try to make decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2017 at 8:57 AM, HedgieLove said:

I think this is a great idea! I will be watching it anxiously as I try to make decisions.

Thanks! I made one last week or so I'll be doing the same.. hopefully it'll get some action at some point haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! Was hoping to get some advice on this:

I got into three different PhD programs, all that I really like. One of them (USF) accepted me, but gave me an offer without funding. I talked with a contact at the school to gauge what this meant (are mentorship opportunities the same? success with external funding? how successful have unfunded students been in the past at securing research and funding?). He seemed to be incredibly optimistic, telling me that many students choose to attend USF unfunded and all have eventually received external or school based funding (based on their hard work) and that there are plenty of research opportunities. I really like USF, but I have funded offers at other schools. Does anyone know if being unfunded is has terrible as I originally thought? Any suggestions? Is it worth the uncertainty? Do you know anyone who has done it? What struggles are involved? Any advice is very much appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.