• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, baddie said:

Does anybody know which schools are quicker in terms of inviting for interview or sending out the decisions? 

Have you been to the Results Search board at all? You can search for the schools you're applying to and see in past years when notifications RE acceptance/rejection/interviews have been sent.

In terms of interviews specifically, not a ton of art history programs do official interview rounds - I'm mostly thinking of Chicago schools (Northwestern/UChicago) and a few on the Eastern side. However, I'm sure some POIs conduct informal interviews with potential students at their discretion.

57 minutes ago, baddie said:

Does anybody know which schools are quicker in terms of inviting for interview or sending out the decisions? 

Judging by last year's results, Stanford, Northwestern and IFA have formal interviews, but I'm not sure many others do. 

3 hours ago, feelthebern16 said:

based on years prior, looks like our results may start rolling in around the end of the month (for some schools) and concentrate in feb. Wow! I can't really believe the decisions are so close. 

I know, right? Some results should come in as early as the week of the 20th...(at least for schools who have interviews)!

Does anyone else have a lot of anxiety about application "status" on online portals? Some of mine still say things like "materials needed" or "incomplete," despite also saying they've "received" all required materials (GREs, transcripts, etc.)...I know this probably just means that the school hasn't updated the status, but I can't help but worry...eurgh. 

25 minutes ago, louisamae said:

Does anyone else have a lot of anxiety about application "status" on online portals? Some of mine still say things like "materials needed" or "incomplete," despite also saying they've "received" all required materials (GREs, transcripts, etc.)...I know this probably just means that the school hasn't updated the status, but I can't help but worry...eurgh. 

It depends on the deadline of each application. If you're referring to really recent deadlines (say, a few days or a week ago), it is more likely the department just hasn't matched your materials with your online form yet. However, if it's been a while since you submitted your application and you're really concerned, it probably wouldn't hurt to send a quick email asking if all your materials have been received.

33 minutes ago, MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou said:

It depends on the deadline of each application. If you're referring to really recent deadlines (say, a few days or a week ago), it is more likely the department just hasn't matched your materials with your online form yet. However, if it's been a while since you submitted your application and you're really concerned, it probably wouldn't hurt to send a quick email asking if all your materials have been received.

Certainly. I've heard that in the past, these things aren't updated for quite some time (and that generally, if you've paid the application fee, the Department will reach out to you if you actually are missing any materials), but can't hurt to be extra-cautious. Definitely would help my nerves...

@louisamae any time I have weird issues with apps I check admissions FAQ on the GSAS website. They usually have a procedure for if your question can't be answered (which is 99.99% just emailing the office). Don't stress! They get tons of inquiries just like yours and technical issues are very common. It is my second year applying and I remember all sorts of things happening, freaking out, etc., and the solution was super simple. 

good luck! 

@MaytheSchwartzBeWithYouYou were here last year, right? Me too. What did you do to improve your application package? For me, I focused on my statement of purpose. I also didn't have to study for the GRE this time so I wasn't in as much of a frenzy. I decided to narrow down my school list to only a select few departments that absolutely had overlapping interests. Abandoned reach schools and plan B+C schools. Just cut to the chase. Haha. 

What about you?

@feelthebern16 One AH department straight up says, "Our department will email you regarding your application status after the deadline. Please don't email the department in that regard" so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've reached out to the other...here's hoping everything's ok! TBH, I don't think it's a big deal. Everything's showing up as "received/verified" in the individual item checklist, so I have a feeling it's just that the department hasn't updated the status yet. (Obviously I vacillate between feeling very anxious about these things and entirely blasé, but so be it...just part of the process, I guess...)

Thanks for the well-wishes! Best of luck to all of you! ~crossing fingers for us all~

Edited by louisamae

2 hours ago, feelthebern16 said:

@MaytheSchwartzBeWithYouYou were here last year, right? Me too. What did you do to improve your application package? For me, I focused on my statement of purpose. I also didn't have to study for the GRE this time so I wasn't in as much of a frenzy. I decided to narrow down my school list to only a select few departments that absolutely had overlapping interests. Abandoned reach schools and plan B+C schools. Just cut to the chase. Haha. 

What about you?

I was. :-/ I completely rewrote my SoP so each paragraph more closely reflected upon each segment of my past work and the research questions that came out of those experiences, tracing them to my proposed project area. I also revised my writing sample from last year-I actually wrote a new one, but due to a death in the family I wasn't able to wrap it up until my last few apps. I didn't bother retaking the GRE because I've read that for just a few points, it probably isn't worth it compared to revising your other docs. I'm hoping these actions, and some luck, will give me better results.

Honestly, as tough as it was not being accepted the first time around, I feel like I learn something about myself and my work in prepping and revising all these materials, and I'm not as stressed about it as I was last year (though still stressed, really). Plus, I talked to a really nice Grad Studies person at Bryn Mawr about an issue with reapplying through the site and she said re-applications are really common in our field, so that made me feel a TINY bit better! How did/do you feel about reapplying?

Edited by MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou

Hi guys! I hope 2017 will be our year!

I was wondering, what is your take on approaching prospective supervisors before applying? I hear mixed stories about this; some say it is crucial, while others have advised me not to do it. Would love to hear what you all think. 

Also, is anyone applying to UK/EU programs this year?

On January 6, 2017 at 8:51 PM, MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou said:

I was. :-/ I completely rewrote my SoP so each paragraph more closely reflected upon each segment of my past work and the research questions that came out of those experiences, tracing them to my proposed project area. I also revised my writing sample from last year-I actually wrote a new one, but due to a death in the family I wasn't able to wrap it up until my last few apps. I didn't bother retaking the GRE because I've read that for just a few points, it probably isn't worth it compared to revising your other docs. I'm hoping these actions, and some luck, will give me better results.

Honestly, as tough as it was not being accepted the first time around, I feel like I learn something about myself and my work in prepping and revising all these materials, and I'm not as stressed about it as I was last year (though still stressed, really). Plus, I talked to a really nice Grad Studies person at Bryn Mawr about an issue with reapplying through the site and she said re-applications are really common in our field, so that made me feel a TINY bit better! How did/do you feel about reapplying?

That sounds very similar to what I did. I tailored each SOP to that specific school and revised my writing sample. Also did not bother with the GRE. (Very very sorry to hear about the loss in your family.)

That's really interesting about the reapps being common. Feels good to hear that. 

I think this year is definitely stronger than last, but given that I struck out majorly last year, I don't want to get my hopes up! 

Hoping you get in to a program this year. Crossing fingers! 

On January 7, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Caussin said:

Hi guys! I hope 2017 will be our year!

I was wondering, what is your take on approaching prospective supervisors before applying? I hear mixed stories about this; some say it is crucial, while others have advised me not to do it. Would love to hear what you all think. 

Also, is anyone applying to UK/EU programs this year?

I have approached prospective advisors that I honestly felt connection to, be it their work or philosophy, whatever. This has given me a range of responses: from positive feedback, encouragement, to being told the program was competitive and to make sure I apply broadly. I always had the most in common with those who replied favorably. Never got into a school though, so there is that :) Hoping this year is different.

Good luck. 

On 1/7/2017 at 9:31 AM, Caussin said:

I was advised that unless the department specifically encourages you to reach out to faculty within your area of interests, its best to let your application speak for itself. That being said, I've also heard that this varies widely amongst fields...i.e. Modernists and Americanists often don't speak with prospective students just because of the sheer number of applicants, but a scholar of, say, Northern Ren might be a lot more willing to chat, considering their field is relatively niche. This is all hearsay, of course. 

I reached out to one professor whose work had pretty strongly influenced my UG track (and whose department recommended applicants do so). I received a very pleasant but brief reply.