PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

55 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Does anyone know when Vandy sends out anything...? 

Vanderbilt had their interviews earlier this week and I believe narrowed it down to nine folks, one in Religion Department American Subfield.

PM me for more details, but I'm also interested in your encounter with Stanford!

13 minutes ago, xypathos said:

If memory serves correct, and the results page seems to suggest, Vandy notifies the last week of February. 

EDIT: I believe Vanderbilt is only accepting one Historical Studies student this round and it'll be someone in Reformation, so that means it'll go to Paul Lim for "deciding" who gets it. I don't know if that's specifically the tract you applied for but given your sig, I assumed so. Sometimes they'll take a second student in the field if funding permits but that's sporadic.

I applied to Historical Studies but I focus on American Religious History. 

9 minutes ago, SG_SC said:

Duke, UNC, Loyola, and Duquesne. Yourself? 

Notre Dame, Loyola Chicago, Fordham, UT, Emory, Boston University, and Harvard. I applied to a mix of programs since I'm interested in second temple literature, NT, and apostolic writings.

1 hour ago, turktheman said:

Notre Dame, Loyola Chicago, Fordham, UT, Emory, Boston University, and Harvard. I applied to a mix of programs since I'm interested in second temple literature, NT, and apostolic writings.

BU School of Theology or Grad School?

Someone got into Stanford... Granted, into the modern religious thought, ethics & philosophy program. But I am guessing it means the Stanford results should be released soon. *stress*

On 2/7/2017 at 4:07 PM, Marcion said:

I got word from Rice yesterday, but that was for "Religion in America." No news from UVA for me as well.

Pretty sure first round decisions for UVA have been finalized by now. UVA is in extra high demand for religious studies right now--especially their TEC program--so the competition is going to be rough =[ I hope to at least get waitlisted.

6 minutes ago, seung said:

Pretty sure first round decisions for UVA have been finalized by now. UVA is in extra high demand for religious studies right now--especially their TEC program--so the competition is going to be rough =[ I hope to at least get waitlisted.

Guess I have been rejected... bugger me...

5 minutes ago, seung said:

I'm with you, hoping for a WL there at best. But realistically expecting a rejection. Any idea when they usually release rejections? 

22 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Guess I have been rejected... bugger me...

I have a buddy at Rice in EC, so if that is where you end up I can connect you two. Don't give up hope on the others, though. Nothing is settled until it is settled. 

5 minutes ago, Kuriakos said:

I have a buddy at Rice in EC, so if that is where you end up I can connect you two. Don't give up hope on the others, though. Nothing is settled until it is settled. 

I would value that. 

28 minutes ago, menge said:

I'm with you, hoping for a WL there at best. But realistically expecting a rejection. Any idea when they usually release rejections? 

I found that even after acceptances, rejections don't come until early March which means a long wait to go...

30 minutes ago, menge said:

Last year acceptances were early Feb, waitlist was mid- to late Feb, and rejections came first of April. UVa has rolling admissions, but if you aren't waitlisted, chances are it's a no. Last year, I emailed the Grad coordinator in early March to learn I had been rejected. I got the official rejection Apr 4th.

Edited by the.waiting.game

4 minutes ago, the.waiting.game said:

Last year acceptances were early Feb, waitlist was mid- to late Feb, and rejections came first of April. UVa has rolling admissions, but if you aren't waitlisted, chances are it's a no. Last year, I emailed the Grad coordinator in early March to learn I had been rejected.

Helpful, thanks. I'll probably do the same come March just to be able to officially cross it off the list. 

2 minutes ago, menge said:

Helpful, thanks. I'll probably do the same come March just to be able to officially cross it off the list. 

Yeah, I emailed just for my own sake. Friends had been waitlisted already (around the 20th? I believe), so I already knew. Still wanted the official answer though. Good luck on the WL.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about Columbia or UPenn admissions? Do they interview for all subfields, etc. etc.? I don't see either of these mentioned often, and result data is pretty sparse as well. 

23 minutes ago, menge said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about Columbia or UPenn admissions? Do they interview for all subfields, etc. etc.? I don't see either of these mentioned often, and result data is pretty sparse as well. 

I am fairly certain that interviews depend for each subfield at Columbia.  That's the word on the street anyway.  South Asian Religions definitely interviews.  Philosophy of Religion--I don't think so, but I may be wrong about that one.

31 minutes ago, seung said:

I am fairly certain that interviews depend for each subfield at Columbia.  That's the word on the street anyway.  South Asian Religions definitely interviews.  Philosophy of Religion--I don't think so, but I may be wrong about that one.

Thanks. Any idea about North American Religions?

2 hours ago, menge said:

I applied to both of these. I haven't heard anything from UPenn, but I had an interview with North American Religions for Columbia in late January. They said they'd let me know in 2-3 weeks.

Edited by katusinterruptus
missing info