PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

So I'm going to throw out some applications this cycle and see what happens - a handful of US and Canadian programs. How much are each of you sharing, in regards to your Personal Statement, with your LORs?

I'm applying broadly within the theme of theodicy and technology, yet catering focus to specific POI at each school so my Personal Statements are a bit different. My LORs have asked that I not send them each individual PS but instead write up an abstract (essentially) of how I'm approaching my research proposal and that they'll write their letter from that. Usual or relatively normal approach?

1 hour ago, xypathos said:

So I'm going to throw out some applications this cycle and see what happens - a handful of US and Canadian programs. How much are each of you sharing, in regards to your Personal Statement, with your LORs?

I'm applying broadly within the theme of theodicy and technology, yet catering focus to specific POI at each school so my Personal Statements are a bit different. My LORs have asked that I not send them each individual PS but instead write up an abstract (essentially) of how I'm approaching my research proposal and that they'll write their letter from that. Usual or relatively normal approach?

This is roughly in line with what my LOR's have requested. One recommender wants my statement for every school; the other two want more of the abstract approach you outlined above—thought they have each read and commented on several drafts of my statement at one point or another. So what you described doesn't sound too out of line.

16 hours ago, jujubea said:

Hey how are you guys all doing?

Hang in there!

Just stalking your thread a little. I just got into my program last year. Application season was painful!

Good luck to you all!

Definitely feeling the pain. I knew applications + seminar papers + teaching a class would be a lot, but I definitely underestimated the amount of time necessary to put together a good application. Also, now that I look at my complete application packets I can't help but see all the weak spots. Anybody else feeling that way? 

Edited by menge
type

Still waiting on one of my professors so send on my LORs. Kinda annoying since I sent him the hyper links about three months ago. How many times do you email a professor without sounding annoying / ingratiating, you know?

PROS: Happy that my applications are basically done, and before deadline, etc. Feel like my application is diverse and unique, strong LORs from seasons academics (two of which are retiring this year after a long career), a good writing sample.

CONS: feel like I should have applied to more schools, statement of intent, which was different for each school I applied for, sounds really shaky and unclear in some parts. Should have refined and thought this through better.

At the end of the day, I am expecting rejection from all schools (worst case scenario, ya know), and if that's the case, I have a desire to re-focus and go for a third masters degree at Notre Dame in historical theology. That would perhaps prove to be a golden stepping stone up to graduate level work (phd).

12 hours ago, brentthewalrus said:

Still waiting on one of my professors so send on my LORs. Kinda annoying since I sent him the hyper links about three months ago. How many times do you email a professor without sounding annoying / ingratiating, you know?

Have you followed up with him at all during the three months? He might have totally forgotten. You should check in.

Sounds rough guys -- this is the worst patch I think. Hang in there! Best of luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, OneLastHope said:

Is there a thread somewhere of people's schools? Is anyone applying to Indiana University?

This forum has been pretty dead this year, I just don't think any of us have gotten around to posting where we're applying. 

I'm not applying to IU, but I believe @Thorongil is, if he's still checking these boards.

Edited by menge

19 hours ago, OneLastHope said:

Is there a thread somewhere of people's schools? Is anyone applying to Indiana University?

I'm also applying to IU! 

5 hours ago, menge said:

This forum has been pretty dead this year, I just don't think any of us have gotten around to posting where we're applying. 

I'm not applying to IU, but I believe @Thorongil is, if he's still checking these boards.

Yeah, I've noticed this about Old Testament programs especially. Each year, people say exponentially less. 

That being said, I applied to Princeton Theological Seminary, NYU, and Johns Hopkins this past round, all PhDs. We'll see how it plays out this year. 

52 minutes ago, Abdelazar said:

For Hebrew Bible programs, I applied to Harvard (NELC), UCLA, Emory, Duke, and ND (CJA). Best wishes to you all!

I also applied to Harvard NELC, as well as Study of Religion--however, in Islamic Studies. I read elsewhere on this forum that applying to both won't increase chances, but that doesn't make sense to me, since they are two different applications and viewed by separate committees. It is possible one committee likes the application, and the other doesn't. Shrug.

Edited by Averroes MD

8 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

I also applied to Harvard NELC, as well as Study of Religion--however, in Islamic Studies. I read elsewhere on this forum that applying to both won't increase chances, but that doesn't make sense to me, since they are two different applications and viewed by separate committees. It is possible one committee likes the application, and the other doesn't. Shrug.

Two year ago, I was told by one Harvard NELC professor that it could be worth applying to both and I was told by another professor in the same department that it wouldn't increase my chances to apply to both NELC and Study of Religion. But this was regarding Hebrew Bible. I think you are right that there would be two different committees who may make different decisions though.

I would guess that committees begin looking over materials sometime in January and meet more than once until around March. Others here may have inside knowledge about the mysterious process of how admissions committees work!

12 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

By the way, if the deadline is Dec. 15, when do you think the committee deliberates? Probably in January right?

It varies from school to school. In some cases individual scholars have such sway/clout that they can say "I want this student" and they'll get it. In other cases each field (NT, HB, Critical, History, etc) gets one student and the faculty within that field hash out who that student will be. Other schools decide together and go through multiple rounds of elimination of candidates.

Generally though, yes. They begin meeting early January and exceptional candidates have been known to be notified rather early in the process and asked to make a decision ASAP - granted they (students) technically have until April to make the decision.

Hi everyone! Is there a spreadsheet or centralized spot where folks can list where they have applied along with when they are notified of a decision/interview? If so, could someone please post it? My wife is applying for Pharmacy residencies and they have something like that which is proving helpful  

I have applied to the Hebrew bible PhDs at Duke and UVA, the ThD at Duke Div., and the PhD in Semitics at Catholic University. 

Best of luck to everyone! Happy holidays! 

Edited by Machen'a Warrior Child

12 minutes ago, Machen'a Warrior Child said:

Hi everyone! Is there a spreadsheet or centralized spot where folks can list where they have applied along with when they are notified of a decision/interview? If so, could someone please post it? My wife is applying for Pharmacy residencies and they have something like that which is proving helpful  

I have applied to the Hebrew bible PhDs at Duke and UVA, the ThD at Duke Div., and the PhD in Semitics at Catholic University. 

Best of luck to everyone! Happy holidays! 

Here you go!

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/

Aside from that, people usually list where they apply on this topic or in their signatures. But, only a few people do that. Most people just hover like myself and release as little information as possible. There also is usually a Near Eastern/Middle Eastern studies topic in the Interdisciplinary forum, but this year there has yet to be one. Also, this topic is always way more active than that one. 

9 minutes ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Here you go!

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/

Aside from that, people usually list where they apply on this topic or in their signatures. But, only a few people do that. Most people just hover like myself and release as little information as possible. There also is usually a Near Eastern/Middle Eastern studies topic in the Interdisciplinary forum, but this year there has yet to be one. Also, this topic is always way more active than that one. 

Awesome, thanks!

It's popular in the History, Philosophy, and I think the Lit & Lang subforums for someone(s) to host a Google Doc spreadsheet that catalogs applications, stats, and/or stipend history for specific programs. The religion forum has just never been as active as the ones I mentioned so, as far as I know, we've never had someone do that.

The survey database hosted by TGC which @Almaqah Thwn linked is wonderful just be careful of taking it too seriously. From about late January to March 15th we'll get a handful of trolls claiming acceptances in order to scare actual applicants that they've been moved to the WL or R pile.

Anyone here familiar with the Canadian system? I've applied to several schools and was notified today that my application for Manitoba was pulled for decision by the department. I've inquired with the department contact  but haven't heard back. I asked a Canadian friend and was told that with particularly strong (or weak) applications that they'll make decisions before the deadline ever closes but that seems to run counter to this whole process as I've understood it.