PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

Well I wish the utmost patience to all those still waiting it out. Especially for those who have heard back and are waitlisted!

Seems I am at the end of my road here, but positively at least I can take a breath.

For those currently in a program, how many cycles did you shoot? I'll continue into 3rd year Latin in my off year. Should I go for a third Masters degree (anyone on this board have 3 masters?).

Meeting with my supervisor tomorrow to discuss some of these questions over as well.

Princeton theological seminary, like many other schools this year, has cut the number of seats for admissions. This time around there are only eight seats open as opposed to the typical 12.

Also, just for the record, until they contact me, I'm choosing to believe that I still have a very good chance of getting into UT-Austin. Until I am hand-delivered a rejection letter, I'm telling myself that I can use the Secret or Scientology or something to get myself admitted.

It's going to happen!! Do you hear me, Universe?? 

1 hour ago, rheya19 said:

Well, I reckon we'll all just be sittin' out here waiting for Harvard this week. Anyone got a guitar?

I wish I hadn't read that. Now, I am waiting again! I'd rather not know when I could expect an answer... 

It just drives me completely insane and I still can't handle haven't heard anything from Columbia. I sent them an e-mail inquiry but no answer. I know it's silly but I just can't stop clinging to that last tiny bit of hope. :/

41 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Still praying to John Harvard for hope...

USA-John_Harvard.jpg

"Hail, John Harvard, full of scholasticism! Blessed art thou amongst Anglicans, and blessed is the fruit of thy loins, Harvard University. Pray for us now and at the hour of our funding. Amen."

My husband's going to wonder why there are lipstick kisses on the monitor....

Edited by rheya19
I always think of more funny things after I press "Submit."

24 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

"Hail, John Harvard, full of scholasticism! Blessed art thou amongst Anglicans, and blessed is the fruit of thy loins, Harvard University. Pray for us now and at the hour of our funding. Amen."

My husband's going to wonder why there are lipstick kisses on the monitor....

Oh John Harvard, guide my admissions, make my statement true, my research original, and my acceptance assured. Amen.

I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up, so that they don't come crashing down. After all, I've made peace with my very good back up plan. But alas, I can't help but get my hopes up. Harvard would be a dream come true. 

The next few days are going to be difficult... Sigh.

Edited by Averroes MD

1 hour ago, Averroes MD said:

I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up, so that they don't come crashing down. After all, I've made peace with my very good back up plan. But alas, I can't help but get my hopes up. Harvard would be a dream come true. 

The next few days are going to be difficult... Sigh.

I am right there with you mate. Harvard is my dream school and I believe it is a perfect fit. Not for the branding (although that helps), but the people their fit me like a glove with their interests, all of their resources, their amazing archives, and so on. It would just be perfect... Damn it... now I am getting emotional :(:(

Received a "soft" rejected or hard "wait list" from Vandy. Basically, my POI called me and said that I am not officially rejected but the people who they have given the first offers too will most likely take it and if not, there are people higher than me on the wait list. That being said, he said my SOP was strong and he is excited to see where my research goes and told me to keep in contact, catch him at a conference, and even think about him as an external reader. He told me to call back late March if I had not heard anything official from the school and see what is up, but he recommended not to get my hopes up. All in all, a pretty good resulted all things considered. Sad, but not heart broken and hopeful that I have made a new friend/ally.

1 minute ago, rheya19 said:

Looks like at least one person heard from Harvard. They got asked to apply to the MTS program instead. 

That was me, I posted about it on here on the day it happened :)

On 2/21/2017 at 8:36 AM, Marcion said:

Received a "soft" rejected or hard "wait list" from Vandy. Basically, my POI called me and said that I am not officially rejected but the people who they have given the first offers too will most likely take it and if not, there are people higher than me on the wait list. That being said, he said my SOP was strong and he is excited to see where my research goes and told me to keep in contact, catch him at a conference, and even think about him as an external reader. He told me to call back late March if I had not heard anything official from the school and see what is up, but he recommended not to get my hopes up. All in all, a pretty good resulted all things considered. Sad, but not heart broken and hopeful that I have made a new friend/ally.

Poo!

I'm colorblind so I can't tell if your coloring is green or red but hopefully green! I've visited for conferences and to see a HS friend that went there for UG - lovely school.

I'm curious to know who the admit went to. I had heard rumors that it was Paul Lim's choice and that he verbally promised the slot to a former student of his when he taught at Gordon-Conwell. Which is all fine and dandy but when a student at VDS, the faculty said explicitly "We choose the best candidate for the field, as a whole." Yet fellow PhD students and faculty members after a beer or two, would confide that it's acually rotational and when it's your time, you get to choose your student - done deal. I don't understand that if that is in fact the case, tell us! Say, "We're taking one Americanist this year in Historical Studies! That's it!" Save yourselves the time to slog through applications on Reformation, save us the money, etc.

On 2/21/2017 at 12:28 PM, xypathos said:

Poo!

I'm colorblind so I can't tell if your coloring is green or red but hopefully green! I've visited for conferences and to see a HS friend that went there for UG - lovely school.

I'm curious to know who the admit went to. I had heard rumors that it was Paul Lim's choice and that he verbally promised the slot to a former student of his when he taught at Gordon-Conwell. Which is all fine and dandy but when a student at VDS, the faculty said explicitly "We choose the best candidate for the field, as a whole." Yet fellow PhD students and faculty members after a beer or two, would confide that it's acually rotational and when it's your time, you get to choose your student - done deal. I don't understand that if that is in fact the case, tell us! Say, "We're taking one Americanist this year in Historical Studies! That's it!" Save yourselves the time to slog through applications on Reformation, save us the money, etc.

Interesting since Paul Lim hasn't taught at Gordon-Conwell since 2008. I wonder if the rumor implies that they may have given it to a recent Gordon-Conwell graduate who was studying the Reformation or if it was a student who took a class with Lim nine years ago and is currently applying to PhD programs.

34 minutes ago, NewPhD said:

When are we going to hear from Princeton??

Do you mean Princeton Theological Seminary or Princeton Department of Religion?

I don't know about Princeton Theological Seminary, but for Princeton Department of Religion I was told that the professors submitted their finalists to the graduate school early last week and am expecting we should hear back from them sometime this week or next week. Here's to all of us keeping our fingers crossed...

35 minutes ago, NewPhD said:

When are we going to hear from Princeton??

Lord Jesus it is 3:14pm and I haven't lost my shit once today. I WAS GOOD FOR 8 HOURS WHERE IS MY EMAIL?

As of Friday, I heard that we should hear from the Graduate School in a week or so.

7 minutes ago, geezlaweez said:

Lord Jesus it is 3:14pm and I haven't lost my shit once today. I WAS GOOD FOR 8 HOURS WHERE IS MY EMAIL?

As of Friday, I heard that we should hear from the Graduate School in a week or so.

Can I ask where you heard that? (As in, did someone email you, or did you call and ask, etc.). The waiting-for-Princeton anxiety is getting REAL so I'll take any info I can get :)

On 2/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, seung said:

Princeton theological seminary, like many other schools this year, has cut the number of seats for admissions. This time around there are only eight seats open as opposed to the typical 12.

Wow! Do you know which sub-fields made offers and which didn't?

30 minutes ago, MarthUser said:

Do you mean Princeton Theological Seminary or Princeton Department of Religion?

I don't know about Princeton Theological Seminary, but for Princeton Department of Religion I was told that the professors submitted their finalists to the graduate school early last week and am expecting we should hear back from them sometime this week or next week. Here's to all of us keeping our fingers crossed...

PTS will be Friday. Can confirm about PU finalists being submitted to graduate school. Wish y'all the best!

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

PTS will be Friday. Can confirm about PU finalists being submitted to graduate school. Wish y'all the best!

Would you have a much more narrow date for when Princeton's Graduate School will get back to applicants? I've only received the answer of "over the next few weeks".