PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

9 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Harvard: Hebrew Bible, New Testament (2 spots), and American Religious History (and it is 12 EST)... More to go (please post if you got into History of Christianity or any others).

Well, I suppose that's it for us American Religion Historians.....

Do POIs generally sent out inofficial admission emails? What does the info, that others have received those, even tell me? And when can official emails be expected? 

I am so confused about all of this and what it means and if all hope for Harvard is gone or not. Can anybody clarify?

Also, I was shortlisted at Georgetown for the department of Islamic and Arabic Studies and Georgetown would be my second favorite option. Does anybody have any advice? My interview will be on Wednesday.

I was accepted by Harvard this morning, so I might be able to shed some light on what's happening. I received an email from the Chair of the Committee notifying me of my acceptance, with a note that a "formal letter" will follow shortly. Earlier this week, I emailed the department to ask if they could give me a date range for when decisions would be going out because I needed to figure out some travel plans with a school that was lower on my list than Harvard. Someone from the department responded to me today, after I received the informal email, with "Decisions will be going out by the end of next week. You’ll receive a notice when the decision is posted in GCast, our online Admissions system." It looks like rejections and waitlist notifications will be going out next week, and possibly also the official letters of acceptance with stipend info.

9 minutes ago, Eshtah said:

Do POIs generally sent out inofficial admission emails? What does the info, that others have received those, even tell me? And when can official emails be expected? 

I am so confused about all of this and what it means and if all hope for Harvard is gone or not. Can anybody clarify?

Also, I was shortlisted at Georgetown for the department of Islamic and Arabic Studies and Georgetown would be my second favorite option. Does anybody have any advice? My interview will be on Wednesday.

Congrats on the interview at Georgetown! 

For both of my acceptances, I did receive an unofficial e-mail from my POI prior to official acceptance through the portal. But, I suspect this both depends on the department and the individual.  

2 minutes ago, alephbet said:

I was accepted by Harvard this morning, so I might be able to shed some light on what's happening. I received an email from the Chair of the Committee notifying me of my acceptance, with a note that a "formal letter" will follow shortly. Earlier this week, I emailed the department to ask if they could give me a date range for when decisions would be going out because I needed to figure out some travel plans with a school that was lower on my list than Harvard. Someone from the department responded to me today, after I received the informal email, with "Decisions will be going out by the end of next week. You’ll receive a notice when the decision is posted in GCast, our online Admissions system." It looks like rejections and waitlist notifications will be going out next week, and possibly also the official letters of acceptance with stipend info.

Congrats on your good news! And thanks for the updates as well. 

2 minutes ago, alephbet said:

Congratulations to you!!! You must be thrilled! And thank you for your clarification.

I just have one question ( I am German and very clueless): If the official emails were not sent yet, is there any conclusion that can be drawn for someone who hasn't heard anything? Does the fact that my POI didn't sent me an unofficial email already tell me that I am out?

1 minute ago, menge said:

For those waiting on UPenn: I solicited a response, and they indicated that decisions have not been finalized, but that they will be by March 6. 

But they did interview the ones they shortlisted, right?

52 minutes ago, Marcion said:

I had my interview and one hour later. I got in. I have been formally accepted into Stanford University!!!

Congratulations! This is amazing news! The weather in Palo Alto is in any case better than Boston... 

I haven't heard anything from Harvard so I guess I struck out this year. As was expected. Sigh.

There it is:

Dear Applicant:
Thank you for your interest in Boston University's Graduate Division of Religious Studies. I write to inform you that, unfortunately, admissions to our program have been suspended for this year. We plan to be open again for admission next year, upon the implementation of some changes to our programs that are currently being considered. Because we were not able to consider your application for admission this year, your application fee will be refunded. We very much hope that you will find a suitable place for your studies for next year. If you have questions about applying to our program for the following academic year, I encourage you to be in touch with us over the summer or early next fall.

Thank you, and good luck

If you could see my face now.... To me, this doesn't speak highly of the program, ranking or no. Get your life together, Boston.

14 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

There it is:

Dear Applicant:
Thank you for your interest in Boston University's Graduate Division of Religious Studies. I write to inform you that, unfortunately, admissions to our program have been suspended for this year. We plan to be open again for admission next year, upon the implementation of some changes to our programs that are currently being considered. Because we were not able to consider your application for admission this year, your application fee will be refunded. We very much hope that you will find a suitable place for your studies for next year. If you have questions about applying to our program for the following academic year, I encourage you to be in touch with us over the summer or early next fall.

Thank you, and good luck

If you could see my face now.... To me, this doesn't speak highly of the program, ranking or no. Get your life together, Boston.

That refund though... so happy