PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

43 minutes ago, menge said:

Just received an official rejection from UPenn via e-mail. My season is finally over! 

Also received that rejection from Harvard, but wtf does it mean that I haven't heard anything from UPenn???

Question on rejections -- Are there any niceties in regards to rejections? I had two POIs at one school that rejected me, one of whom emailed to express his disappointment and thank me for considering them, but the other has not. Is it recommended, for whatever reason if not just to acknowledge that the rejection happened, to contact POIs if they haven't reached out to you?

18 minutes ago, jsant09 said:

Question on rejections -- Are there any niceties in regards to rejections? I had two POIs at one school that rejected me, one of whom emailed to express his disappointment and thank me for considering them, but the other has not. Is it recommended, for whatever reason if not just to acknowledge that the rejection happened, to contact POIs if they haven't reached out to you?

Sorry for the bad news. I don't really see why it is necessary to acknowledge  a rejection, nor do I think that this is considered normative. But it wouldn't hurt to contact a POI, especially if s/he is someone you're interested in keeping in touch with.

Is it safe to assume Marquette's Historical Theology offers are all locked up? Haven't seen anything on the results page (Sys and Ethics, but not Historical), and my application is still open on the site...but no news at this point in the season starts to look more and more like bad news. 

Can anyone drop some knowledge? 

3 minutes ago, KnightGeorge said:

Is it safe to assume Marquette's Historical Theology offers are all locked up? Haven't seen anything on the results page (Sys and Ethics, but not Historical), and my application is still open on the site...but no news at this point in the season starts to look more and more like bad news. 

Can anyone drop some knowledge? 

There were a number of accepted Marquette applicants at the weekend event (this past weekend) at Notre Dame. The ones that I heard from hadn't accepted their offers yet. My sense is that new offers will be handed down to people on the waitlists at Catholic institutions like Marquette and CUA if/when people who have offers from these institutions get preferred offers from ND and subsequently turn down Marquette and CUA. 

3 minutes ago, Anxious Annex said:

There were a number of accepted Marquette applicants at the weekend event (this past weekend) at Notre Dame. The ones that I heard from hadn't accepted their offers yet. My sense is that new offers will be handed down to people on the waitlists at Catholic institutions like Marquette and CUA if/when people who have offers from these institutions get preferred offers from ND and subsequently turn down Marquette and CUA. 

Thanks. I didn't interview or anything--red flag #1-- but I know historically Marquette makes offers a little later than some of the other programs. 

1 minute ago, KnightGeorge said:

Thanks. I didn't interview or anything--red flag #1-- but I know historically Marquette makes offers a little later than some of the other programs. 

Sorry Knight George, I assumed that you were waitlisted at Marquette. I guess I don't know what your situation means. Still, I suspect that my point may be relevant somehow. 

1 minute ago, Anxious Annex said:

Sorry Knight George, I assumed that you were waitlisted at Marquette. I guess I don't know what your situation means. Still, I suspect that my point may be relevant somehow. 

Perhaps. Hey, a little more knowledge can never hurt. We'll just see what shakes loose later in March, I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, Person11 said:

Anyone hear from ND today?

I talked to Cheron Price to see what the eta on the decisions would be, and she said that they would likely come tomorrow. I know of someone who got an early answer but he has military funding. Also, it looks like someone in systematics was able to get word on his application by emailing a prof. yesterday (wish I had done that). 

3 hours ago, Anxious Annex said:

I talked to Cheron Price to see what the eta on the decisions would be, and she said that they would likely come tomorrow. I know of someone who got an early answer but he has military funding. Also, it looks like someone in systematics was able to get word on his application by emailing a prof. yesterday (wish I had done that). 

Well, the time is close, then. I'm assuming emails will trickle through the day, but it could come in groups. We'll know soon enough.

Tossed in two last minute applications to St. Andrews and one to Canterbury Christ Church!

Gavin Hopps at Andrews confirmed that the ITIA still has funding to cover the expenses of a select 3-4 students.

CCCU is still a very young university and often gets overlooked but has tuition waivers and a £13k (16k USD) annual stipend open to students willing to work in theology with an Anglican (or Anglican friendly) focus. Per my contact (a professor and CoE priest), local CoE dioceses would welcome a US student working 10-20 hours a week in exchange for use of an unused parsonage and a stipend.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes before good or bad news comes to the waitlisted at ND and Marquette? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth waiting, or if I should accept another offer soon. For the sake of the program I've been accepted to, I'm not keen on waiting until April 15. The chair at ND said that, as a rule, it doesn't drag out too long, but I'm not sure what that means.

47 minutes ago, Person11 said:

Does anyone know how long it usually takes before good or bad news comes to the waitlisted at ND and Marquette? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth waiting, or if I should accept another offer soon. For the sake of the program I've been accepted to, I'm not keen on waiting until April 15. The chair at ND said that, as a rule, it doesn't drag out too long, but I'm not sure what that means.

Don't worry about the program; this decision is about you. They already have the power, and will find someone for the slot if they really want it. Take your time and make the best decision for yourself. 

2 hours ago, Person11 said:

If you want to hold out, I suggest you press the departments to give you a clear idea of what your odds of getting an offer are. ND's waitlist system is an enigma to me, but, if your chances of getting a spot depends on the chances that one of the accepted ST applicants decides to turn an offer down, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

7 minutes ago, Anxious Annex said:

If you want to hold out, I suggest you press the departments to give you a clear idea of what your odds of getting an offer are. ND's waitlist system is an enigma to me, but, if your chances of getting a spot depends on the chances that one of the accepted ST applicants decides to turn an offer down, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

From what he told us at the interview weekend, it seems like it can be pretty random, e.g. moral theology might have one of its accepted students turn down its offer, but then the offer might go to the first person on the waitlist for CJA, HC, ST, etc.

7 hours ago, Person11 said:

You should not feel bad at all for making the other program wait until April 15. They understand. They may be anxious to know, but if they adhere to the April 15 resolution that every program worth anything adheres to, then they're not going to hold it against you for waiting to hear about waitlists (they can't.) Like menge said, make the best decision for yourself. If you would choose one of the waitlists over the school you have an offer from, then wait and do not feel bad about it.