PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

43 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

Any thoughts from anyone about if it's too soon to contact a school to ask if they've made any decisions, or when we could expect decisions?

I contacted schools the last week in Feb. At this point, most have released their first round of decisions. I think its perfectly acceptable to send a short email to the grad. studies coordinator, or your POI if you have a relationship. Everyone got back to me within a few hours and they extremely professional and helpful.

7 hours ago, rheya19 said:

Well, Austin FINALLY graced me with their decision. They're out.

Iowa, here I come!

Did you get a notice online or did you reach out to the department? I haven't heard anything from them since my interview forever ago and my application status page still says "in review." The waiting is killing me.

I still haven't heard anything from Emory (no interview, no waitlist, no rejection). In my mind I've definitely put them in the rejection column, but can anyone shed light on this? I know that they have sent out some acceptances and waitlists. Does the fact that I haven't gotten an rejection yet mean that I have some hope, or have they just not yet sent out rejections?

3 hours ago, RiskyNT said:

I still haven't heard anything from Emory (no interview, no waitlist, no rejection). In my mind I've definitely put them in the rejection column, but can anyone shed light on this? I know that they have sent out some acceptances and waitlists. Does the fact that I haven't gotten an rejection yet mean that I have some hope, or have they just not yet sent out rejections?

I was waitlisted the day after acceptances went out, but it's been all quiet on the Emory front. I'm just waiting to hear.... Hoping someone who got in elsewhere will turn Emory down.

Yes, my friend who did his PhD there was not invited to interview weekend and was still accepted on April 14. So there's always hope. But I can relate--I'm dying for some info.

5 hours ago, RiskyNT said:

I was told that I am on the waitlist at Emory for Hebrew Bible last month but haven't heard back yet still. I just emailed the dept. today to ask about my app status. 

3 hours ago, Abdelazar said:

I was told that I am on the waitlist at Emory for Hebrew Bible last month but haven't heard back yet still. I just emailed the dept. today to ask about my app status. 

If you don't mind, let us know! Fingers crossed all around. This is the tough part of the wait....

32 minutes ago, the.waiting.game said:

If you don't mind, let us know! Fingers crossed all around. This is the tough part of the wait....

I was emailed back and told that for Hebrew Bible, 3 offers were made and one student accepted. The others have not responded yet. If you have been accepted (or wait listed), I would appreciate it if you let them know of your decision as soon as you are able, since I need to make travel & moving arrangements for whichever program I end up at.

21 hours ago, mattieb said:

Did you get a notice online or did you reach out to the department? I haven't heard anything from them since my interview forever ago and my application status page still says "in review." The waiting is killing me.

I reached out, and they emailed me back with a "no," and then I got the official email to check the website later that day.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:11 AM, RiskyNT said:

I have not hear anything from Emory either. Luckily Marquette offered me admission a month ago. I gave up waiting on Emory and went ahead an accepted Marquette's offer.

For those interested in Marquette, they only have 7-8 openings this year and from what I hear 3-4 of them were offered to Judaism and Christianity in Antiquity specializations (including my offer) (per correspondence with the assistant chair a couple weeks ago). 

I thought I was out for the count, but I just got a surprise acceptance letter to Oxford..... AH!

Now, we await funding decisions. Oxford would be a dream come true, especially since it is very strong in my field of interest and has a perfect PI. How sad it would be to turn Oxford down. 

Are there interviews for funding? Is there any way to know if I still stand a shot at funding?

Edited by Averroes MD

Oxford, Cambridge, Andrews and a few others have some automatic consideration scholarships but for most you have to be asked to be considered for.

You can do that here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/fees-and-funding/fees-funding-and-scholarship-search/search

It's specific to your condition so you'll have to set parameters and it'll let you know what you qualify to be considered for. That said, deadlines have passed for some and funding for non-EU/UK citizens is a long shot.

3 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Oxford, Cambridge, Andrews and a few others have some automatic consideration scholarships but for most you have to be asked to be considered for.

You can do that here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/fees-and-funding/fees-funding-and-scholarship-search/search

It's specific to your condition so you'll have to set parameters and it'll let you know what you qualify to be considered for. That said, deadlines have passed for some and funding for non-EU/UK citizens is a long shot.

Thanks. I did apply for the scholarships I could apply for. I just haven't heard anything back about this yet. I'm wondering if I would have been interviewed for funding or not. Anyways, I've emailed my PI but I'm just anxious/excited.

Edited by Averroes MD

I've been waitlisted by my top choice, and offered acceptance at another good school (but not my top choice). If I write to my waitlist school to check on the status of the process, will it be helpful or hurtful to my chances to let them know I have another offer on the table?

Earlier, my contact at my waitlist school asked if I had any other offers, and I felt funny about the question, but at the time I could honestly say "not yet, because responses are just beginning to come in." Now I'm not sure what the wise move is...

31 minutes ago, Shibboleth7 said:

I've been waitlisted by my top choice, and offered acceptance at another good school (but not my top choice). If I write to my waitlist school to check on the status of the process, will it be helpful or hurtful to my chances to let them know I have another offer on the table?

Earlier, my contact at my waitlist school asked if I had any other offers, and I felt funny about the question, but at the time I could honestly say "not yet, because responses are just beginning to come in." Now I'm not sure what the wise move is...

I asked a couple professors I'm close with this same question.  They both answered: "It could go either way." One important factor to consider is whether or not you trust your POI at this school. You said you "felt funny about the question." Is this because you felt that they weren't showing all their cards? If you feel that your POI knows for certain that his/her program is one. you are genuinely interested in, and you feel that your POI is genuinely interested in getting you into the program, you should tell him/her. It could be used as leverage to move you off the waitlist quicker. On the other hand, if they are uncertain of the probability of you accepting an offer should you get off the waitlist, it could work to your disadvantage.

38 minutes ago, Shibboleth7 said:

The only way you'll know is if you ask, otherwise you're left with a "What if..."

If a school crosses me off their list because I play the card, "I have an acceptance elsewhere but I really want to be here" - well, fuck them.

12 hours ago, xypathos said:

The only way you'll know is if you ask, otherwise you're left with a "What if..."

If a school crosses me off their list because I play the card, "I have an acceptance elsewhere but I really want to be here" - well, fuck them.

I decided to go ahead and let them know about my other offer. We'll see what happens.

And I probably shouldn't be so cagey with you all here (this forum has been a really helpful resource during my process)... I'm another of the Emory waitlisters, and have been offered a spot at Hebrew Union College (Hebrew Bible). I think I'd be happy at HUC, but Emory is the better program, with a better shot of opportunities on the other end of the PhD.

6 hours ago, Shibboleth7 said:

I decided to go ahead and let them know about my other offer. We'll see what happens.

And I probably shouldn't be so cagey with you all here (this forum has been a really helpful resource during my process)... I'm another of the Emory waitlisters, and have been offered a spot at Hebrew Union College (Hebrew Bible). I think I'd be happy at HUC, but Emory is the better program, with a better shot of opportunities on the other end of the PhD.

I got a kind email back from my POI letting me know I'm still in the running for a potential second round, but that they are still waiting to hear back from first round folks. So the wait continues...

A reminder for those on waitlists that the first-round admittees have until April 15 at most places to accept or turn down an offer. The schools aren't intentionally messing with you. They have to wait to see where cards fall, and will get to their waitlists when the can. I know it's anxiety-laden, but there's nothing you can do. Go do some physical exertion, read a good novel, get your head elsewhere.

1 hour ago, theophany said:

Go do some physical exertion, read a good novel, get your head elsewhere.

...maybe even work on finishing the final semester of my Masters! It's been so hard to be motivated while living in limbo-land.