PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

1 hour ago, KnightGeorge said:

Anyone have word on the "interview with Marquette" result posted in the last day or two? Seems suspect...

Near as I can tell, past Marquette interviews have occurred the first week in Feb., so it does seem a little early. But, depending on if there is a new admissions coordinator, or any other host of possible changes, it could be legit. 2-3 weeks early seems in the real of reasonable possibility, especially if its a particularly strong candidate that they want to try and land. 

1 hour ago, KnightGeorge said:

Anyone have word on the "interview with Marquette" result posted in the last day or two? Seems suspect...

Faculty I spoke to when applying said interviews wouldn't happen before the first week of February at the earliest, and the results page shows that's the usual time frame so yea, I'm suspicious of the request.

4 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Faculty I spoke to when applying said interviews wouldn't happen before the first week of February at the earliest, and the results page shows that's the usual time frame so yea, I'm suspicious of the request.

With that faculty input, it definitely is more suspicious. Then I remember how random and arbitrary much of this process is... 

3 minutes ago, xypathos said:

It's certainly possible as you note @menge, that it could just be an outlier and a really strong candidate. They've had the same Director for the last four years so I don't expect much change in process but as we all know, this process is arbitrary.

I'll defer to your knowledge of their process. I'm not applying there and really know nothing about the way they do things! 

6 hours ago, KnightGeorge said:

Does it mean they had the interview or just was emailed to set up one? Is it still early if it was a set up?

If it's legit, this early it was likely to setup the interview.

It's not unheard of for a potential POI to contact applicants that they're interested in to setup a "private interview." This interview is unofficial and designed to help the supervisor pick 1-2 candidates for which they want to advocate for come committee meetings. How each committee decides on acceptances is unique to their politics so can't really say.

2 hours ago, menge said:

That moment you receive an e-mail from a department to which you applied... and it turns out to be a survey about the application process. What cruel, cruel timing. 

That truly sucks. 

Just if it helps -- I have heard from my potential advisor that Vanderbilt department of religion has an interview weekend (which will count towards the final decision) the first weekend of February and that invitations should be going out soon.  I have unofficially been offered a Skype interview (because I am currently overseas) but have heard nothing officially from the school yet.  I'm not sure if this counts as something to post on the results board yet, but figured there might be people trolling for any crumb of information, since it seems in this process January is a long, long month.

15 minutes ago, menge said:

Congrats to those receiving the Indiana and Baylor interviews! Nice to see some activity pick up around here. 

Speaking of interviews, anyone have some advice for some of the large-scale interview weekends? Is there a thread for such discussions? 

On 1/17/2017 at 1:45 PM, menge said:

That moment you receive an e-mail from a department to which you applied... and it turns out to be a survey about the application process. What cruel, cruel timing. 

22 hours ago, OneLastHope said:

That truly sucks. 

Or getting a phone call from a city in which a university you've applied to is located...

Rejected from Villanova PhD by phone call. They loved my application but ultimately felt that I didn't "connect with their Catholic identity." I'm not Catholic but use a lot of Augustinian theology in my work so I knew this would hurt me in my evaluation.

Well, that's one less site to keep checking.

4 hours ago, xypathos said:

Rejected from Villanova PhD by phone call. They loved my application but ultimately felt that I didn't "connect with their Catholic identity." I'm not Catholic but use a lot of Augustinian theology in my work so I knew this would hurt me in my evaluation.

Sorry. :(

4 hours ago, xypathos said:

That's a tough break, but it sounds like Villanova has some class when it comes to notifying applicants of their status

I saw that someone posted Baylor for church history. Do you all think that is it for Baylor? Seems odd to only get one interview submission on here. I'm wondering if gradcafe has lost a bit of its magic this year with fewer people uploading results or if there's more to come (perhaps by department?). I only applied to Duke, Emory, and Baylor so here's to hoping I didn't get the first strike.