5 hours ago, jmk said:

Calculating costs is almost as equal a nightmare as it was choosing schools to apply to. I'm factoring in tuition (I wish programs just gave you a breakdown up front instead of trying to figure out summer costs, etc.), average rent, etc.  

I agree! I wish they would give us an estimate of the entire program up front, though I realize it changes from year to year. But just a rough estimate would help a lot. Maybe it's just my programs, but to figure out costs I keep being directed to other websites where I have to personally add in summer costs in addition to things like rent. Even transportation and associated costs can knock you back quite a bit (I know a lot of CA schools that have pretty significant parking expenses). 

4 hours ago, SopranoSLP said:

Yeah, Seattle rent is more expensive than most people realize, which is why I felt sort of obligated to mention it as I was scrolling through this thread. That said, I think the quality of life here is amazing!! The rain really isn't thaaaaat bad, and the beautiful trees and water and mountains (and coffee) totally make up for it! Probably still cheaper than San Francisco, @pbandj, but maybe not for long! Anyway, congrats to all of you! Like I said, I hope I'm in your shoes a year from now :-)

Thank you! I've heard mixed reviews about the rain lol but only positives about the scenery! I was in Seattle for about two days a couple years ago, and we were lucky enough to get a sunny weekend. It seemed like everyone was taking advantage of it, I really liked the vibe. I figure I'll be inside studying most of time anyway so the rain shouldn't be too big of a deal, but being from Central California I have no way to tell how I would react to rain LOL :lol:

Good luck on your upcoming applications! :D

22 minutes ago, pbandj said:

I agree! I wish they would give us an estimate of the entire program up front, though I realize it changes from year to year. But just a rough estimate would help a lot. Maybe it's just my programs, but to figure out costs I keep being directed to other websites where I have to personally add in summer costs in addition to things like rent. Even transportation and associated costs can knock you back quite a bit (I know a lot of CA schools that have pretty significant parking expenses). 

A BIG yes! I was so surprised to how many schools I had to add in summer costs. I'm leaning SFSU with cost being a very large factor. (Though rent / parking here isn't exactly a picnic) 

50 minutes ago, pbandj said:

Thank you! I've heard mixed reviews about the rain lol but only positives about the scenery! I was in Seattle for about two days a couple years ago, and we were lucky enough to get a sunny weekend. It seemed like everyone was taking advantage of it, I really liked the vibe. I figure I'll be inside studying most of time anyway so the rain shouldn't be too big of a deal, but being from Central California I have no way to tell how I would react to rain LOL :lol:

Good luck on your upcoming applications! :D

I'm from San Diego and my family lives up in Portland and Washington (various parts). I spent a month up there and wow it was beautiful but I couldn't do it with the rain.... I was ready to come home. 

3 hours ago, jmk said:

A BIG yes! I was so surprised to how many schools I had to add in summer costs. I'm leaning SFSU with cost being a very large factor. (Though rent / parking here isn't exactly a picnic) 

Yeah, when I went to the interview, parking was pretty ridiculous... But anyway, I'm glad you got a cheaper option!! I know you were worried about potentially having to go out of state - SFSU is a great program :)  I have to learn more about the stipend associated with the Autism specialization because that could possibly make SFSU my cheapest option. It's a little risky banking on that though because we only apply to the track after accepting admission, meaning I could possibly not get into the track.. and without that specialization option, SFSU is lower on my list than UW... So many factors to consider :wacko:

3 hours ago, kayyyyy_ said:

I'm from San Diego and my family lives up in Portland and Washington (various parts). I spent a month up there and wow it was beautiful but I couldn't do it with the rain.... I was ready to come home. 

Yeah, I'm mostly worried about homesickness being made worse by the weather. I've never necessarily been too averse to rain, but there's no way to tell yet because I've never experienced endless gray weather. Central CA does get pretty gloomy during the winter though, so maybe it won't be as dramatic of a change as SD to Seattle...... I doubt I'll like it lol, but hopefully if I choose Seattle I can put up with it for at least two years. Thank you so much for sharing!

12 hours ago, pbandj said:

Yeah, when I went to the interview, parking was pretty ridiculous... But anyway, I'm glad you got a cheaper option!! I know you were worried about potentially having to go out of state - SFSU is a great program :)  I have to learn more about the stipend associated with the Autism specialization because that could possibly make SFSU my cheapest option. It's a little risky banking on that though because we only apply to the track after accepting admission, meaning I could possibly not get into the track.. and without that specialization option, SFSU is lower on my list than UW... So many factors to consider :wacko:

In terms of rent, I was paying $935/month through school housing to share half of a room in an apartment w 5 girls. Starting April 1st?? new students can put in their student housing requests. The pro is it's so close, you can street park (free) and walk/bike to campus. 

The con is student housing runs a bit pricier than the regular market, haha. I'm looking into getting a room to myself for around $950/month. Meanwhile, I would have to uber or bus about 8 minutes via car to campus each day...or purchase a parking pass, which is around $500 a semester to park in the school garage. 

2 hours ago, jmk said:

In terms of rent, I was paying $935/month through school housing to share half of a room in an apartment w 5 girls. Starting April 1st?? new students can put in their student housing requests. The pro is it's so close, you can street park (free) and walk/bike to campus. 

The con is student housing runs a bit pricier than the regular market, haha. I'm looking into getting a room to myself for around $950/month. Meanwhile, I would have to uber or bus about 8 minutes via car to campus each day...or purchase a parking pass, which is around $500 a semester to park in the school garage. 

Wow, rent is really no joke... my sister lives in SF and pays about $1500/month for a tiny studio apartment, her bed is literally 5 steps away from the "kitchen." And $500 to park is ridiculous! I have friends in SoCal whose parking permits for their schools are around that amount as well. Then they also have to pay for the parking at their apartments. Using the bus can be a nice alternative, my sisters went to college in the east coast and relied solely on public transportation. 

1 hour ago, KnittingSpeechie said:

I finally got an acceptance! Woooo!!! Still waiting on WWU (top choice), but I'll be more than happy to continue at WSU if it's not good news from Western.

Congrats!! That first acceptance feels amazing!! 

3 hours ago, pbandj said:

Wow, rent is really no joke... my sister lives in SF and pays about $1500/month for a tiny studio apartment, her bed is literally 5 steps away from the "kitchen." And $500 to park is ridiculous! I have friends in SoCal whose parking permits for their schools are around that amount as well. Then they also have to pay for the parking at their apartments. Using the bus can be a nice alternative, my sisters went to college in the east coast and relied solely on public transportation. 

You could definitely get by on public transit here. I only brought my car because I work in the East Bay, and it's easier (for me) to drive (I get really bad anxiety on public transit)

1 hour ago, GeophysHopeful said:

Anyone have any news from the Colorado School of Mines Geophysics department?  All is quiet on that front as of now for me, but I'm thinking decisions have to come out in the next week or so!

Do you realize you're posting in the Speech Language Pathology forum?

Good luck with ur endeavor.

8 hours ago, jmk said:

around

8 hours ago, jmk said:

Wow I'm also trying to figure out what to do in terms of living. Is super hard because I don't know San Francisco and I don't know what areas are good or if it's worth living outside the city. Will you be relying solely on financial aid and loans? 

On 3/22/2017 at 10:18 PM, Maridele said:

Wow I'm also trying to figure out what to do in terms of living. Is super hard because I don't know San Francisco and I don't know what areas are good or if it's worth living outside the city. Will you be relying solely on financial aid and loans? 

I know the new student housing app opens for SFSU I believe April 1st. If you're living in SF, I would try to live in Daly City / Sunset / Glen Park which seem to be a bit cheaper. I'm 100% on financial aid and loans for tuition/housing. I did student housing for undergrad, but haven't even begun to think about grad housing. My friend who is a grad student did student housing for her first year, but she was in an apt will all young undergrads. 

5 hours ago, jmk said:

I know the new student housing app opens for SFSU I believe April 1st. If you're living in SF, I would try to live in Daly City / Sunset / Glen Park which seem to be a bit cheaper. I'm 100% on financial aid and loans for tuition/housing. I did student housing for undergrad, but haven't even begun to think about grad housing. My friend who is a grad student did student housing for her first year, but she was in an apt will all young undergrads. 

Thank you! that's good information. This would be the first time I move away from home, sort of nervous. Have you chosen where you want to attend?

21 hours ago, Maridele said:

Thank you! that's good information. This would be the first time I move away from home, sort of nervous. Have you chosen where you want to attend?

I'm torn between SFSU & Eastern WA! Part of me wants a larger adventure (stayed close for undergrad, & just ended a long-term relationship), but another part of me doesn't want to leave friends & family! 

19 hours ago, jmk said:

I'm torn between SFSU & Eastern WA! Part of me wants a larger adventure (stayed close for undergrad, & just ended a long-term relationship), but another part of me doesn't want to leave friends & family! 

YOLO girl! What school would you "regret" in a sense not going to?

On 3/25/2017 at 3:34 PM, julianorts said:

I decided to commit to IU today!!! If anyone else commits there let me know! Good luck to everyone in their decision making :)

Congratulations! That's so exciting!

On 3/25/2017 at 7:04 PM, jmk said:

That's hard. If it's financially possible then Eastern WA could be a nice change of pace. New scene would be helpful with your recent break up. If Eastern WA program gets you super excited maybe giving it a shot is not a bad idea. However, you might need your friends and family for emotional support? Idk. Familiarity is always safe. Not that it'll change your mind or anything but I'll be in SFSU!!...hahaha anyway  I think wherever you do choose your going to be super busy and you certainly like it.

I got waitlisted to two schools! and more rejections lol no acceptances yet waiting on 3 more schools.

Are any of you that have applied post-bacc students who had low undergrad GPAs?

On 2/25/2017 at 3:03 PM, Nicole Bat said:

Hi everyone, 

I got accepted to Sacred Heart University! Now I just have to wait to hear from everywhere else. Has anyone accepted their offer to Sacred Heart University?? I'm from Florida so I have a lot to concerned and I would love to hear what others have to say about the program/Fairfield?

Hey Nicole! 

I am going to attend Sacred Heart University in Fall 2017! Did you make your decision yet?

On 4/3/2017 at 7:38 PM, Annelise Gaffney said:

Hey Nicole! 

I am going to attend Sacred Heart University in Fall 2017! Did you make your decision yet?

Hi Annelise,

No, I declined my offer yesterday. I will be attending Armstrong State University in the fall!

I wish you the best at SHU :)