On 4/2/2017 at 2:11 PM, stephlanewill said:

Has anyone heard anything from Armstrong State (Savannah) or Tennessee State University (Nashville)??

I was accepted on 4/3. I will be attending Armstrong State University in the fall!

I've finally heard back from all my programs and I'm officially done with the waiting! Earlier today I had a phone call with UW which solidified my decision to attend their program. I just declined SDSU and SFSU, so hopefully some people will be hearing from those programs soon :)

10 minutes ago, pbandj said:

I've finally heard back from all my programs and I'm officially done with the waiting! Earlier today I had a phone call with UW which solidified my decision to attend their program. I just declined SDSU and SFSU, so hopefully some people will be hearing from those programs soon :)

Congratulations on your decision!! I accepted my offer for the University of Washington's MedSLP program the other day! :) I am certain I won't regret this decision at all. I'm so relieved that this grad school application stuff is finally over for me. I'm very excited for the both of us!

30 minutes ago, kenz said:

I mailed my deposit for Ithaca College today!! I'm super excited and pleased with my decision but also super nervous to be moving over a thousand miles away from home! 

Congratulations!!!! I am feeling the same way but I'm sure we will be so happy with our decisions!

54 minutes ago, plume said:

Congratulations!!!! I am feeling the same way but I'm sure we will be so happy with our decisions!

Thank you!! I agree, I believe I made the right choice and that it'll be worth it. Congratulations and good luck to you!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I recently accepted my offer from CSUN, my undergrad, but just got off the waitlist at Western Washington U yesterday, which is a school I'd rather go to (but the out of state tuition- OUCH!).  I am very excited about this, but I feel bad about accepting an offer and then going back on my word.  It is a position I never expected to be in. :blink: 

3 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

So I recently accepted my offer from CSUN, my undergrad, but just got off the waitlist at Western Washington U yesterday, which is a school I'd rather go to (but the out of state tuition- OUCH!).  I am very excited about this, but I feel bad about accepting an offer and then going back on my word.  It is a position I never expected to be in. :blink: 

Just think it will make someone on CSUN waitlist very happy!

4 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

I would spend a day really playing around with the financial components of both programs. What's the difference in loans? I eventually decided on my alma mater over an out of state program due to cost...in the end, the programs were pretty comparable. It was just easier to spot the problems in my alma mater's department due to having been there already, but I know problems exist within all departments. 

4 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

I feel like programs expect this from at least one person every year, it definitely happens. It's not a situation you want to be in, but it does happen. Don't make a decision based on emotions but rather based on the reality of this situation. If Washington is a better program and you can pull off the cost financially, i'd say go for it. If your gut is telling you to stay at CSUN then keep your spot :) Definitely way out all options but don't make your decision based on a spot you already accepted and worried about that. 

I'm in a similar position @SLPsingballs agh :/ 

Only thing is I love Milwaukee and accepted my offer there, but just got accepted from Central Michigan University with an offer of a GA position and in-state tuition. I'm so torn and don't honestly know what to do... and CMU needs an answer by April 21st (but I just emailed asking for a deadline so fingers crossed on that).

49 minutes ago, Callen said:

I'm in a similar position @SLPsingballs agh :/ 

Only thing is I love Milwaukee and accepted my offer there, but just got accepted from Central Michigan University with an offer of a GA position and in-state tuition. I'm so torn and don't honestly know what to do... and CMU needs an answer by April 21st (but I just emailed asking for a deadline so fingers crossed on that).

It is so tough to have to make a call like this!!  (Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED and grateful to have this sort of problem, and I am sure you are too).  The GA position and in-state tuition sounds REAL nice!!  Right when you think you've made up your mind, SLAM! Another great choice is offered.  :unsure:  

For us (my family), we have dreamed of moving to Washington (specifically Bellingham) for years so it's the location I find hard to turn down.  Both schools seem like a good place for me to get a degree, although WWU has a smaller cohort (they actually HAVE a lock-step cohort system whereas at CSUN you just get whatever classes you get and hope for the best).  We will be in quite a lot more debt, but we'd be living in a town still on the west coast (only a 7-8 hour drive from family, not 7 hour flight), and not just waiting two or three more years to find where we'll settle.  We'd move our children now (they're ages 5 and 8 so they're still young enough for a move to not upset their world too much) instead of in 2.5-3 years when my oldest would be entering middle school (worst time).  Although staying here in LA is cheaper tuition (huge), it is not where we want to be raising children.    

2 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

It is so tough to have to make a call like this!!  (Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED and grateful to have this sort of problem, and I am sure you are too).  The GA position and in-state tuition sounds REAL nice!!  Right when you think you've made up your mind, SLAM! Another great choice is offered.  :unsure:  

For us (my family), we have dreamed of moving to Washington (specifically Bellingham) for years so it's the location I find hard to turn down.  Both schools seem like a good place for me to get a degree, although WWU has a smaller cohort (they actually HAVE a lock-step cohort system whereas at CSUN you just get whatever classes you get and hope for the best).  We will be in quite a lot more debt, but we'd be living in a town still on the west coast (only a 7-8 hour drive from family, not 7 hour flight), and not just waiting two or three more years to find where we'll settle.  We'd move our children now (they're ages 5 and 8 so they're still young enough for a move to not upset their world too much) instead of in 2.5-3 years when my oldest would be entering middle school (worst time).  Although staying here in LA is cheaper tuition (huge), it is not where we want to be raising children.    

Congrats! That's an exciting decision to have to make. You may want to consider the length of program as well, since I know CSUN's is longer than 2 years. (Although I don't know how long WWU's is?) And factor in loss of income during that 3rd year that you could be possibly already working had you attended a shorter program.

Also, would they allow you to pay in-state tuition during the 2nd year after establishing residency? Some schools do. I think it depends on the state.

6 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

It really is one of the toughest calls and is completely dependent on what you ultimately think will be the best for you. And yes, I know I'm very grateful to even be in this position!

I cannot imagine having to factor in a family and whatnot with kids. That must make the decision even more important and harder!! Good luck on making your decision, and I'm sure you'll make the right one :) it sounds like you're really thinking it through, which is good even if it seems like the hardest decision. That's how you know you'll make the best one!

34 minutes ago, SLPsingballs said:

CONGRATS!!!  You must be thrilled and relieved!!!  (I know that's how I felt getting into WWU, a dream school for me).

I happy cried! I was incredibly happy when I got into other schools but this was the happiest!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone waiting for responses from grad schools for those who have been waitlisted? Its been over 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything from the 2  schools I applied too. I do not know if it  will be okay to contact them or just wait

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone! Sorry for double-posting in an old thread, but I hope you can help me out! I'm considering applying to some SLP master's programs in the US, but I have a BA in Linguistics from a Canadian university. I've noticed that many American programs require you to have graduated with an undergraduate degree in communication disorders, otherwise you must take a full year prerequisite track (which does not necessarily guarantee you will be accepted to their MA program once completed). My question is: Does anyone know of any programs in the US that can be completed in 2 years with my BA in Linguistics? Thanks in advance! :)