NYU Steinhardt online distance program

Hello all, I know I've posted on here before asking about this program but I didn't get much feedback and wanted to see if anyone who didn't see my previous post has any feedback. I applied to this program about 2 weeks ago and they told me that I would receive a decision in about 3-4 weeks (next Tuesday will mark 3 weeks). I was just wondering if anyone else had applied to this program and if anyone had received a decision yet, being that they have rolling admissions. It's a new program so I'm hoping that it won't be as competitive as other programs. Crossing my fingers, this program is my last hope until I officially give up on speech and move on to ABA instead :unsure:

Hi, I am curious on your update? I decided to start the application process for this school even though I am not happy about the price. Did you talk to an admission counselor beforehand or did you just apply? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually rejected shortly after posting this :( I knew I was a weak applicant when applying but i figured since they were a newer program they would be more open to accepting applicants like me, but apparently not. I think I'm going to try and raise my GRE scores, get a job in a speech and/or hearing related field and apply to schools next application cycle. Best of luck to you both! 

Edited by HopefulFutureSLP2016

On August 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

I was actually rejected shortly after posting this :( I knew I was a weak applicant when applying but i figured since they were a newer program they would be more open to accepting applicants like me, but apparently not. I think I'm going to try and raise my GRE scores, get a job in a speech and/or hearing related field and apply to schools next application cycle. Best of luck to you both! 

What are your stats (if you don't mind me asking)?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am interested in applying to this program. I looked over all of the program requirements and required courses. I forgot to look at the tuition costs. I almost fell over when I noticed the cost of tuition. I guess NYU is a private university? I didn't realize that right away...

I'm surprised that this program requires a personal statement and two other essays, but I still want to submit an application.

My stats are: GPA 2.9  Quant: 148   Verbal: 145   Writing: 4.0

I know my stats aren't very good and so far, NYU seems like the most competitive and difficult, but I may apply anyway. I want to submit my application by the priority deadline so I can save 30.00 on the application fee.

Let me know what everyone thinks about this program and whether or not I should apply.

5 hours ago, speechfan222 said:

I am interested in applying to this program. I looked over all of the program requirements and required courses. I forgot to look at the tuition costs. I almost fell over when I noticed the cost of tuition. I guess NYU is a private university? I didn't realize that right away...

I'm surprised that this program requires a personal statement and two other essays, but I still want to submit an application.

My stats are: GPA 2.9  Quant: 148   Verbal: 145   Writing: 4.0

I know my stats aren't very good and so far, NYU seems like the most competitive and difficult, but I may apply anyway. I want to submit my application by the priority deadline so I can save 30.00 on the application fee.

Let me know what everyone thinks about this program and whether or not I should apply.

the NYU program is extremely competative and its in a big city that everyone wants to apply to. i dont remember what the cost was but as those stats arent very good like you said yourself, i would try to apply to a less competative program or at least one that has flexbility in the GREs. the NYU cut off is like 150? 

9 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

the NYU program is extremely competative and its in a big city that everyone wants to apply to. i dont remember what the cost was but as those stats arent very good like you said yourself, i would try to apply to a less competative program or at least one that has flexbility in the GREs. the NYU cut off is like 150? 

This is actually not completely true. The cutoff for gre's are not 150 each for the distance program. They are accepting many students, and at this time they do not have a for sure answer regarding cap limits. I know of a girl who got in with stats with a GRE of 139-149-4. Her GPA was 3.9. The distance program will sit in on web conferencing with on campus students. To answer speechfan222- I am not sure if they would take your stats, they might. Have you talked to an admission counselor?

I have emailed someone from the admissions department a few times. He actually called me and left a voicemail and wanted me to let him know of good specific times that would be good for him to explain the program in detail for me. I'm on the west coast and while working, it's sometimes hard to get a chance to talk to him. Normally when I get a chance, it's too late and he's already gone for the day.

Would you suggest that I make time to speak with an admission counselor to determine whether I should apply or not. It looks like a pretty good program, but I'm sure it's very competitive and my stats aren't the greatest. :o(   And, NYU is expensive!

11 hours ago, speechfan222 said:

I have emailed someone from the admissions department a few times. He actually called me and left a voicemail and wanted me to let him know of good specific times that would be good for him to explain the program in detail for me. I'm on the west coast and while working, it's sometimes hard to get a chance to talk to him. Normally when I get a chance, it's too late and he's already gone for the day.

Would you suggest that I make time to speak with an admission counselor to determine whether I should apply or not. It looks like a pretty good program, but I'm sure it's very competitive and my stats aren't the greatest. :o(   And, NYU is expensive!

I would try to make a set time for a phone call and if that is not a possibility, I am sure you can email back and forth. I do know that they ask specifics about your plans for work because you have to log in for classes live. I do know there are many evening classes available! I believe the original poster had similar GREs and a 3.3 GPA, but did not get into this school. 

With plans for work, do you mean after the program is complete and I receive my degree? What do you mean by logging in for classes live? I figured we would have to log in for classes (at our leisure), but nothing relating to work until the program is complete. Let me know. I appreciate it.

57 minutes ago, speechfan222 said:

With plans for work, do you mean after the program is complete and I receive my degree? What do you mean by logging in for classes live? I figured we would have to log in for classes (at our leisure), but nothing relating to work until the program is complete. Let me know. I appreciate it.

Hey sorry to jump in. I have a friend considering this program so I know a bit about it... Your classes are live as far as I understood it, so rather than viewing power points and taking the tests before a specified date, you will instead "attend" class/lecture live, interacting with your professor in real time. Such a schedule would limit your work hours considerably, and substantially once attending your clinical placements within your community as well. It reads on the website that having a full time job while completing this program is *very* difficult if not impossible. 

11 minutes ago, salvols said:

Hey sorry to jump in. I have a friend considering this program so I know a bit about it... Your classes are live as far as I understood it, so rather than viewing power points and taking the tests before a specified date, you will instead "attend" class/lecture live, interacting with your professor in real time. Such a schedule would limit your work hours considerably, and substantially once attending your clinical placements within your community as well. It reads on the website that having a full time job while completing this program is *very* difficult if not impossible.

Don't worry. It's always good to get all of the information I can. This is really good to know. I appreciate it. The program description says it's not like any other online program, but it doesn't mention anything about 'attending' class live and interacting with the professor in real time. The website description should definitely mention this. I currently work full time, and I doubt I can 'attend' live as a requirement. I thought it would be as you described - viewing powerpoints and taking tests before a specific date.

Your friend is considering this program. How did he/she find out about this detailed information? I may not even apply now if it's 'live'. :o(

6 hours ago, speechfan222 said:

Don't worry. It's always good to get all of the information I can. This is really good to know. I appreciate it. The program description says it's not like any other online program, but it doesn't mention anything about 'attending' class live and interacting with the professor in real time. The website description should definitely mention this. I currently work full time, and I doubt I can 'attend' live as a requirement. I thought it would be as you described - viewing powerpoints and taking tests before a specific date.

Your friend is considering this program. How did he/she find out about this detailed information? I may not even apply now if it's 'live'. :o(

The above poster is correct. I personally know this because I have asked many questions to the admission counselors, and even attended a webinar about the program that you can sign up to. The classes are live and you will be in class via webcam with the on campus students. I believe they say it is unlike any other for many reasons, some reasons to be very little clinical time on campus, and the live classes. If you do not attend these live classes, your grade will be lowered. 

@speechfan222, my friend learned this from speaking on the phone with someone in admissions to gain more info on the program in general... It sounds like the issue of live classes is a big consideration for you, so I would definitely call to inquire about the class attendance policies and hear that info (and more) from someone at NYU directly! This seems like something that they should specifically mention on their website, you're right.

Not to completely derail this thread, but has anyone had a negative experience talking to the Graduate Admissions Department at NYU Steinhardt in general? I called today with a question about the letters of recommendation as they require two of your three letters to be from academic sources. I'm having trouble with the second academic letter as I've been out of school for over 7 years and the only two professors I was really close with have since retired and fallen off the grid.

The person at admissions that I was transferred to, who presumably specializes in the CSD program, was incredibly rude and condescending and cut me off every time I tried to open my mouth. Considering there is an area on the application that asks you to confirm you understand that two of the letters need to be academic, I think calling to ask if my application will be rejected if I don't adhere to that is a perfectly reasonable question. The good news, I guess, is that he eventually said it's fine and I can use another supervisor. 

Sorry to vent, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. The people I've spoken to regarding the online program have been maybe a bit pushy but very friendly and encouraging. It really left a bad taste in my mouth and has me reconsidering if I even want to submit my application at all.

10 minutes ago, ElKel87 said:

Not to completely derail this thread, but has anyone had a negative experience talking to the Graduate Admissions Department at NYU Steinhardt in general? I called today with a question about the letters of recommendation as they require two of your three letters to be from academic sources. I'm having trouble with the second academic letter as I've been out of school for over 7 years and the only two professors I was really close with have since retired and fallen off the grid.

The person at admissions that I was transferred to, who presumably specializes in the CSD program, was incredibly rude and condescending and cut me off every time I tried to open my mouth. Considering there is an area on the application that asks you to confirm you understand that two of the letters need to be academic, I think calling to ask if my application will be rejected if I don't adhere to that is a perfectly reasonable question. The good news, I guess, is that he eventually said it's fine and I can use another supervisor. 

Sorry to vent, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. The people I've spoken to regarding the online program have been maybe a bit pushy but very friendly and encouraging. It really left a bad taste in my mouth and has me reconsidering if I even want to submit my application at all.

Hi ElKel87!

Yes, I had the same experience as you did. I entered my information in on the NYU website expecting some more information about the program. Instead I get calls a few times a week. The first call I got, I spoke with a very rude person and she didn't want to answer my questions about the type of program. She only wanted to transfer me to a recruiter who could get me to enroll.

I finished my SOP and the two required essays and just found out that the program is 'live' online. I was never originally told it was a live program and it doesn't mention anything about it in the program description. I asked about it and got no answers. Still today, they call me several times a week.

Along with the rude person, inconvenient online format, and cost, I've removed NYU from my possible list of schools. Even after I did all of the requirements.

1 hour ago, speechfan222 said:

Hi ElKel87!

Yes, I had the same experience as you did. I entered my information in on the NYU website expecting some more information about the program. Instead I get calls a few times a week. The first call I got, I spoke with a very rude person and she didn't want to answer my questions about the type of program. She only wanted to transfer me to a recruiter who could get me to enroll.

I finished my SOP and the two required essays and just found out that the program is 'live' online. I was never originally told it was a live program and it doesn't mention anything about it in the program description. I asked about it and got no answers. Still today, they call me several times a week.

Along with the rude person, inconvenient online format, and cost, I've removed NYU from my possible list of schools. Even after I did all of the requirements.

Ah sorry, I meant the Graduate Admissions Department for the regular on-campus program (though maybe they are the same). I looked into the online program too, but since I live in NYC and the cost is the same as on-campus, it didn't make sense for me. Either way, I haven't been getting good vibes from NYU's program. I'm attending their open house in a few weeks so maybe I'll wait to make my final decision then. Glad I'm not the only one getting a 'tude from them!

A'tude. Haha. That's a good one!

Let me know how the open house goes. I was going to attend the 'online' open house sessions, but since I'm on the west coast and we're three hours behind right now, it will be too hard to do them during work house. And I've had enough of NYU. They won't stop calling me!

I've decided to apply for spring admissions in May and the application isn't due until the end of February. Because I'm still tweaking my essays, I was planning to submit around mid-November at the earliest. I just moved up within my company as an ABA therapist so I was planning to incorporate some of my new responsibilities into my essays. However the admissions counselor keeps pushing me to send it (although I do agree that she is very friendly and enthusiastic) but I need some time! I understand it's rolling admissions but still. I think pushing me to send it 5 months before the priority deadline is a little ridiculous. I thought of sending it just to make them stop calling, but instead I ended up blocking their number... lol. So yes, basically, I agree with everyone saying they are so pushy.

I was aiming for the priority deadline (Oct 24) to save money with the application fee. They are very pushy! The program isn't convenient for me since it's 'live' online and the cost is just ridiculous.

Macklin_b, are you applying to the online program?

@speechfan222 Yup I'm applying to the online program. Since I don't have my BA in communication disorders, it reduces the number of online programs I'm eligible to apply to (at least the ones I've researched so far). So I'm still gonna give it a shot.