NYU Steinhardt online distance program

20 minutes ago, speechfan222 said:

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? The program seems the most competitive out of all of them and was curious how strict they are.

Of course! I'm in the midst of prereqs at USU and my current GPA is 3.8. My 1st undergrad was around a 3.3. My GRE is 150Q, 159V and 5 AWA. I also have a lot of relevant experience. I can't believe I got in! 

1 hour ago, lindsayg1993 said:

Of course! I'm in the midst of prereqs at USU and my current GPA is 3.8. My 1st undergrad was around a 3.3. My GRE is 150Q, 159V and 5 AWA. I also have a lot of relevant experience. I can't believe I got in! 

Congrats! I got in also! I am very excited. I applied for the May start date and I found out last week. Lindsay- we should connect on facebook, I am also a USU student :)

Congrats ladies!! I was going to apply to NYU, but then I found out it's a 'live' online program and that doesn't work for me since I'm working full time. I'm still waiting to hear back from the schools I applied to. I hope I get in too. 

Hi,

I applied as well when they first started accepting applications. Admission didn't let me know 'til August that Georgia hasn't accepted the program yet, so they push my application for next acceptance term. I've been waiting on pins and needles. Have anyone else experienced this problem.

On 10/5/2016 at 10:22 PM, Arcanelady27 said:

I was accepted to the online program and took the offer. It still has kinks in it being that it is brand new.

My stats were 3.5 Com GPA   V 152 Q 146 AW 4.0

I am excited. After years of trying I go into a program, I literally cried.

I've been lurking around the forums, and I've seen your posts before. I was hoping you would get into a program soon and I'm excited you finally did. :) Congratulations!

This is my second year applying and I hope to hear good news after revamping my entire application. However, I'll be applying to in-person programs that are out of state as well this cycle. 

Although I contacted NYU - Steinhardt and spoke with a few people from the department who seemed pushy and somewhat rude, would everyone recommend that I still apply to the program? I also found out that it's a 'live' program which doesn't really work for me. I could make it work, but I am somewhat worried that it may be too difficult for me since I will be working full time while in grad school.

Should I contact them again to see if I should apply? I'm assuming they are trying to recruit students to their new program, so they probably will suggest that I apply. The tuition is very expensive, yet another factor turning me away from applying.

Can anyone give me suggestions? Is it very competitive? Let me know what everyone thinks. I'm stuck.

15 hours ago, speechfan222 said:

Although I contacted NYU - Steinhardt and spoke with a few people from the department who seemed pushy and somewhat rude, would everyone recommend that I still apply to the program? I also found out that it's a 'live' program which doesn't really work for me. I could make it work, but I am somewhat worried that it may be too difficult for me since I will be working full time while in grad school.

Should I contact them again to see if I should apply? I'm assuming they are trying to recruit students to their new program, so they probably will suggest that I apply. The tuition is very expensive, yet another factor turning me away from applying.

Can anyone give me suggestions? Is it very competitive? Let me know what everyone thinks. I'm stuck.

I cant tell you if you should apply or not, but the live program is what I actually like about this distance program. It seems like I will have real relationships with professors and my cohort. I will agree that the counselors are pushing people to apply, but that does not mean you will get accepted. NYU still wants strong applicants for their distance program. I do not think it would hurt to apply and see. I start in May so I do not know how the program is, but I have talked to another girl who started and is liking it so far.

18 minutes ago, Crystal Renee said:

I cant tell you if you should apply or not, but the live program is what I actually like about this distance program. It seems like I will have real relationships with professors and my cohort. I will agree that the counselors are pushing people to apply, but that does not mean you will get accepted. NYU still wants strong applicants for their distance program. I do not think it would hurt to apply and see. I start in May so I do not know how the program is, but I have talked to another girl who started and is liking it so far.

I kind of researched the program a bit, but after getting pushed around and noticing the tuition costs, I haven't looked more into it. Isn't there an early Spring start date (January)? I may apply and see it I get accepted. I'm just afraid the live program may not work out for me. Ahh. What to do, what to do.

I'm still somewhat interested in applying to this program. Does anyone know if most 'seats' have filled already, or is it possible I may still be accepted? I waited a little longer than I had hoped, but I wanted to apply to a few others and was a little hesitant about this one.

I just called NYU steinhard to ask a few questions, but was on hold way too long, so I hung up.

Let me know! I'll finish working on my application if there still may be a chance.

Hi all,

I have a random question for everyone relating to NYU. What are some of the unique perspective, skill sets, or life experiences you described in required essay #1? I'm trying to get some ideas, so I can think of something to use when writing this essay. I can't think of any specific life experiences, so I was thinking about organization as a skill set, but not sure this is a good one. I'm trying to think of something better.

Let me know what you chose and it will give me an idea to choose my 'topic'.

Thanks!

Edited by speechfan222

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Speech318 said:

I was just accepted to this program!! I am going to be starting January 2017. Anyone else? 

Congrats! I made a FB group for the May cohort, but there are other january students on there. Join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/343412579327909/

1 hour ago, Speech318 said:

I was just accepted to this program!! I am going to be starting January 2017. Anyone else? 

Congrats!! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I submitted an application and was curious to see how competitive they are.

• 2 weeks later...

@macklin_b, have you heard anything about your application yet? My application and all required documents have been turned in. I was told today that my application will be sent to the admission committee for a final decision very soon. I will get admission information in about three weeks. That seems way too long just to get a decision.

Has anyone else waited awhile for an admission decision? I really want to choose this program, but waiting three more weeks just for a decision is crazy!

On 11/21/2016 at 9:05 PM, speechfan222 said:

@macklin_b, have you heard anything about your application yet? My application and all required documents have been turned in. I was told today that my application will be sent to the admission committee for a final decision very soon. I will get admission information in about three weeks. That seems way too long just to get a decision.

Has anyone else waited awhile for an admission decision? I really want to choose this program, but waiting three more weeks just for a decision is crazy!

Once my application was submitted 100%, it took 1.5 weeks. I know they tell everyone 3 weeks. Do consider that 3 weeks is such a short time to know. Most people complete their applications for other schools in December and January and will not know anything until April. I think NYU is working quickly on these applications. 

Has anyone recently applied to the spring program? I applied in October for their distance program since my husband is in the military and we move all the time. I work in a school system as a SLT under a SLP and am hoping that helps my chances of acceptance. We're about to move again, this time to a location without the job opprotunity the new place, so Im really anxious to hear back now more than before. It's crazy that there are openings for SLP everywhere, so this is very much needed to do anything in this field! So fristrating to see all these people who don't have a degree in CSD get accepted before the people who do, given the lesser experience level. Can't tell you how many newly graduated SLPs I've had to train at their job in the school system, yet I'm the one who has to have the "supervision" of work. Lol 

Anyways, how long does it take before they notify you? My overall gpa is a 3.12, core gpa is a ~3.4 and gre scores aren't the greatest (I choke on standardized tests) so I'm hoping the experience will help, plus the fact that I can write a damn good essay. ;) 

Can anyone answer my questions or advice for a next step to strengthen my applications in case I don't get in? I have read how competitive it is, more so than most, although I was really hoping it wasn't since it's newer. 

any insight?? 

Just now, SpeechPeep said:

Has anyone recently applied to the spring program? I applied in October for their distance program since my husband is in the military and we move all the time. I work in a school system as a SLT under a SLP and am hoping that helps my chances of acceptance. We're about to move again, this time to a location without the job opprotunity the new place, so Im really anxious to hear back now more than before. It's crazy that there are openings for SLP everywhere, so this is very much needed to do anything in this field! So fristrating to see all these people who don't have a degree in CSD get accepted before the people who do, given the lesser experience level. Can't tell you how many newly graduated SLPs I've had to train at their job in the school system, yet I'm the one who has to have the "supervision" of work. Lol 

Anyways, how long does it take before they notify you? My overall gpa is a 3.12, core gpa is a ~3.4 and gre scores aren't the greatest (I choke on standardized tests) so I'm hoping the experience will help, plus the fact that I can write a damn good essay. ;) 

Can anyone answer my questions or advice for a next step to strengthen my applications in case I don't get in? I have read how competitive it is, more so than most, although I was really hoping it wasn't since it's newer. 

any insight?? 

I've heard that a few people have applied with 'lower' GPAs and decent GRE scores and were accepted. That made me feel a little better, so I decided to apply. I applied for the Spring 2017 semester. My GRE is okay, but my scores weren't the greatest. I spoke with somebody from the Speech department on Monday and I was told it would take about 3 weeks to receive a decision. Based on the comment above, I don't think it will take that long. Sometimes it seemed like the department was pushy since they preferred to call me about my application rather than respond to my questions by email, but they have been very helpful. It's just been difficult to answer their calls since I'm on the west coast, am two hours behind, and at work when they call. But the advisor is very helpful. The only think I'm somewhat worried about is financial aid. I was told we won't receive information about aid until we get accepted. I just don't want it to be too late to receive aid and be able to pay for tuition by the due date.

I'm pretty sure you will get in. I'm trying to stay positive for myself and everyone else who applies. We should hear back from them hopefully next week after the holiday, or possibly the following week. I'm trying to stay positive though. Just keep waiting. Just keep waiting. We will get an early holiday present - we're getting accepted! :) 

Yes I sure hope so! The same experience happened to me. I warned the advisor I'm in therapy all day, so don't try to call because I can't answer, and she still tried. I like that she was persistent but felt bad also, because like you the only time I could call back was their after hours. I didn't look at financial aid, or anything really, until I got accepted or not, but I expect it to cost an arm and a leg since it's a private school. 

Fingers crossed we get in! It's really crazy how competitive it is, considering the shortage and high demand. Then I saw an ad for an SLPA certificate in 12 months and thought "really?! That's what this job feild is going to without a masters?!" haha 

You're right about staying positive. We just need to think "we got this" and keep going. Plus, not going to lie, knowing there are others like me who aren't 4.0 gpa applicants makes me feel better. It's intimidating to see all these posts with people saying their gpa is low and it's a 3.8? 

45 minutes ago, SpeechPeep said:

Yes I sure hope so! The same experience happened to me. I warned the advisor I'm in therapy all day, so don't try to call because I can't answer, and she still tried. I like that she was persistent but felt bad also, because like you the only time I could call back was their after hours. I didn't look at financial aid, or anything really, until I got accepted or not, but I expect it to cost an arm and a leg since it's a private school. 

Fingers crossed we get in! It's really crazy how competitive it is, considering the shortage and high demand. Then I saw an ad for an SLPA certificate in 12 months and thought "really?! That's what this job feild is going to without a masters?!" haha 

You're right about staying positive. We just need to think "we got this" and keep going. Plus, not going to lie, knowing there are others like me who aren't 4.0 gpa applicants makes me feel better. It's intimidating to see all these posts with people saying their gpa is low and it's a 3.8? 

I can't believe we could get an SLPA certificate in just 12 months. I was considering that for experience, but it's actually 2.00 less than I'm making now as a certified pharmacy technician. So, I said forget about the experience. I'll stay at my current job and keep the extra 2.00/hr. I hope not having much experience isn't a bad thing for my application. I guess I'll have to see. I thought NYU would be pretty competitive, so I was hesitant about applying, but I decided to anyway. I'm really hoping we both get in.

Haha. I just laughed out loud! I saw a post the other day. Somebody with a GPA of 3.9 said it was low and they were worried about getting accepted. Oh please. It's nearly perfect. Shush! Hahaha.

When did you submit your application to NYU? I submitted mine about three weeks ago. I got a voicemail message this morning saying that all documents including recommendation letters were received and my application was sent to the graduate committee for decision. I'm just crossing my fingers. Hoping I get in. I hope WE get in!

Good luck and Happy Turkey Day!! :)