NYU Steinhardt online distance program

38 minutes ago, lindsayg1993 said:

Sorry to but in, but when I was accepted back in December I tried to get them to push back my deadline by 2 weeks and it was denied :( Sorry! Hope that helps. 

Thanks for letting me know! Too bad ?

What cohort are you in? Are they making you take some of their prereqs? I feel like their whole acceptance process is kind of confusing..

On 2/19/2017 at 1:29 AM, BeachySpeechy said:

Do they have rolling admissions? If I'm accepted into their program but all the spaces are filled up for the cohort that I applied for (May 2017), will they have me start with the next cohort...or will my application be rejected?

From what I understand, they do not having rolling admissions. But I also do not think they fill up. If you get in you get in.

3 hours ago, 2bridges said:

Thanks for letting me know! Too bad ?

What cohort are you in? Are they making you take some of their prereqs? I feel like their whole acceptance process is kind of confusing..

I'm starting in May! The only prereq I need to take is neuro. 

1 hour ago, Crystal Renee said:

From what I understand, they do not having rolling admissions. But I also do not think they fill up. If you get in you get in.

Their website says their admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis...I guess I should have finished my application earlier...oops!

On 2/21/2017 at 5:19 PM, 2bridges said:

Hi Lacuna, did your admissions advisor push back your deadline? My advisor told me she had to speak to the director Natalie but I still haven't been given an answer and the commit letter is due by this Thursday!

Ah! Sorry I am seeing this late. But yes my deadline was pushed all the way until April 28. I called multiple times and explained that I wanted to make a decision only after knowing all of my options and I didn't want to hold someone else's spot if I didn't commit. Hope it worked out for you!

Edited by lacuna

1 hour ago, lacuna said:

Ah! Sorry I am seeing this late. But yes my deadline was pushed all the way until April 28. I called multiple times and explained that I wanted to make a decision only after knowing all of my options and I didn't want to hold someone else's spot if I didn't commit. Hope it worked out for you!

WOW April 28th! They only gave me another 2 weeks.

I'm also bummed by what I read in their Intent Letter. I thought this program would be more flexible for working students but The Intent Letter you receive once you have been accepted says that you must be available for clinics/externships (3,4 and 5) from Monday - Friday during normal business hours. It also states these cannot be exclusively done in the evenings or on the weekend.

I didn't know this detail before I applied. When I inquired during the online open house this question was never addressed. 

FYI to all those who apply to NYU.

On 2/27/2017 at 7:18 PM, 2bridges said:

WOW April 28th! They only gave me another 2 weeks.

I'm also bummed by what I read in their Intent Letter. I thought this program would be more flexible for working students but The Intent Letter you receive once you have been accepted says that you must be available for clinics/externships (3,4 and 5) from Monday - Friday during normal business hours. It also states these cannot be exclusively done in the evenings or on the weekend.

I didn't know this detail before I applied. When I inquired during the online open house this question was never addressed. 

FYI to all those who apply to NYU.

The clinics are not right away...they state that you can work for the beginning of the program but once yo get to clinicals it is very challenging to work full time. Most programs have this issue when you reach externship time since that is a crucial part of the certification process! Below is what they write in the FAQ section of the site.

• Can I work full time while enrolled? 

Graduate school is a big commitment. Due to the academic rigor, clinical externship requirements, and demands of coursework in this program, it is not possible to work full time the entire time you are enrolled in the program. It may be possible to work full time during the early portion of the program while you are completing foundation courses, but not after you start your clinical experiences. However, it is possible to work on a part-time basis if needed.

Good luck!

I agree with the person above. Most clinics that you will work under are Monday-Friday 9-5. Also think about the school portion, which will be more like 8-3. I do not think it would be possible in ANY SLP grad program. NYU for online and part-time is 7 semesters. The first two semesters have no clinical time. The 3rd and 4th semester includes the clinic bombardment at NYU. The 5th, 6th, and 7th semesters will be 2 or 3 days a week. The last semester will be the most hours. With this schedule I can personally work 30 hours a week, but I do work from home and make my own schedule. 

I completed my application for Fall 2017 in mid-December, but it wasn't actually completed by NYU for review until January 18, so I was told to expect a decision 4-8 weeks from Jan. 18. It's been over 6 weeks with no response yet. Anyone else with the same timeline still waiting for a decision? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 11:41 AM, Crystal Renee said:

I agree with the person above. Most clinics that you will work under are Monday-Friday 9-5. Also think about the school portion, which will be more like 8-3. I do not think it would be possible in ANY SLP grad program. NYU for online and part-time is 7 semesters. The first two semesters have no clinical time. The 3rd and 4th semester includes the clinic bombardment at NYU. The 5th, 6th, and 7th semesters will be 2 or 3 days a week. The last semester will be the most hours. With this schedule I can personally work 30 hours a week, but I do work from home and make my own schedule. 

I just got accepted and I plan to start in May. Does anyone have an idea of how the clinical bombardment at NYU will look like? How often and for how long must we be on campus? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, sincerelycree said:

I just got accepted and I plan to start in May. Does anyone have an idea of how the clinical bombardment at NYU will look like? How often and for how long must we be on campus? Thanks!

Congrats! It is about 3-4 days in NYC over a long weekend (I think). I think there are 2 clinical bombardments. 

10 hours ago, sincerelycree said:

If your plan of study consists of being part time and with very little undergrad courses you need to take then you should be on the same track as me. it looks like right now I will go 4 days in Jan. 2018 and then again in May or June! Then Fall 2018 start real clinicals!

• 2 weeks later...

I ultimately decided to decline this offer because of the cost; while it comes with the same faculty and whatnot, it does not have the same research opportunities. I've done a lot of undergraduate research and have enjoyed it quite a bit, so it's important to me to have the ability to continue this research in the future. I'm looking for a program that will allow me to do a thesis or case study to graduate instead of just a test, and it's not clear this program would provide this for me. I also am hoping to focus on children in a school setting with a multicultural or bilingual focus (only 2 schools I applied to seem to offer this).
I also dislike that you must agree to be placed up to 75 miles away for clinics/  externships... that's insane, especially if you don't have a car.  

However, I must give huge kudos to their admissions staff. Really helpful, clear, and responsive compared to my other programs.

3 hours ago, 2bridges said:

What is the Welcome Call about? Is it personalized where they discuss your course study or is it a group meeting?

I did mine individually, but I have known others have the call with a few others as well. They will go over 2nyu and albert. Answer questions about courses, talk about going to NYC briefly for clinic, and talk about your courses just briefly. 

25 minutes ago, Crystal Renee said:

I did mine individually, but I have known others have the call with a few others as well. They will go over 2nyu and albert. Answer questions about courses, talk about going to NYC briefly for clinic, and talk about your courses just briefly. 

Thanks for your response! 

I was accepted for the full time track but I'm having reservations. Since I work full time in a school and have the summers off I thought I could do a good chunk of the hours in the summer, but it seems like NYU might not allow that. I completely understand getting a feeling for the work environment and learning the necessary skills on site Monday- Friday, but if the ASHA requirment is 400 hours I can't see why it matters what day of the week or time of year I accrue those hours. 

I have one colleague, a former teacher, who went back to school for SLP and continued to teach, so I know some schools do make accomdations. 

Good luck and I hope you will keep us posted on how it's going!

So, my application was finally audited the other day (they were having computer/application issues). Has anyone had trouble getting coursework verified that have been accepted? Right now they are only accepting 1 of my courses which is phonetics. Now granted, I didnt have all of they syllabi at the time and just received them so I will submit everything again. But Im very concerned because I believe 5 of my courses expired December 2016. Can you fight to have them accept the courses if they are expired? I mean, thats a lot of money and I haven't seen other programs that have an expiration date on your credits? I'm also wondering if they are going to notify people of decisions before the national deadline? I technically had everything done by February but they were having so many issues on their end...

On 3/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, 2bridges said:

Thanks for your response! 

I was accepted for the full time track but I'm having reservations. Since I work full time in a school and have the summers off I thought I could do a good chunk of the hours in the summer, but it seems like NYU might not allow that. I completely understand getting a feeling for the work environment and learning the necessary skills on site Monday- Friday, but if the ASHA requirment is 400 hours I can't see why it matters what day of the week or time of year I accrue those hours. 

I have one colleague, a former teacher, who went back to school for SLP and continued to teach, so I know some schools do make accomdations. 

Good luck and I hope you will keep us posted on how it's going!

Congrats on the acceptance! I do believe that there is a possibility if you work full time. Maybe working 4-7 at private clinics and such. NYU was not the only distance program I applied to, and I know from those experiences that those clinic times were not flexible either. The other programs were also 5-8 weeks of summer time at campus. I feel like if you live in a large enough city with many places to choose from, then NYU would not mind being flexible. I think it is more difficult for NYU to find placements for students who live in smaller cities and have less clinics and schools to choose from. 

On 3/30/2017 at 9:18 AM, whitneyblair1991 said:

So, my application was finally audited the other day (they were having computer/application issues). Has anyone had trouble getting coursework verified that have been accepted? Right now they are only accepting 1 of my courses which is phonetics. Now granted, I didnt have all of they syllabi at the time and just received them so I will submit everything again. But Im very concerned because I believe 5 of my courses expired December 2016. Can you fight to have them accept the courses if they are expired? I mean, thats a lot of money and I haven't seen other programs that have an expiration date on your credits? I'm also wondering if they are going to notify people of decisions before the national deadline? I technically had everything done by February but they were having so many issues on their end...

5 years seems to be the norm for accepting undergrad courses. You can try, but I don't know how flexible they'll be.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to make sure Speech@NYU doesn't have bilingual/multicultural focus right? Do we get the opportunity to learn about their work with transgender issues? Or all these apply to on-campus program only?

On 3/29/2017 at 4:39 PM, Crystal Renee said:

Hi, since you started the online cohort, I had a question about the academic calendar.  I looked online and the NYU calendar says summer classes end around August 15, but when I was on Albert in showed the that Speech@NYU classes end around August 25.

My question is, how much of a break is there between the summer sessions and the fall?

I have a destination wedding next August in Europe and I'm wondering if I can make it.