Not to increase anyone's heart rate...

solairne

mine has this mind bogglingly red light that has the bad habit of going on just when i'm falling asleep (and vibrates, so I get the vibration) or when I'm driving... the worst moments are the best for emails, facebook notifications or chats...

Ha, I have a data plan on my (not smart-) phone, and I have the Gmail app on there already so I can just check my email from my phone as soon as I wake up (and at five to fifteen minute inetervals throughout the day when I'm away from a computer).

Does anyone know if there's a way to email a certain address to send a text message to someone (on AT&T)? If so then I can imagine creating a nice little filter in Gmail that would notify me by text message whenever I got an email from Berkeley, MIT, etc...

Does anyone know if there's a way to email a certain address to send a text message to someone (on AT&T)? If so then I can imagine creating a nice little filter in Gmail that would notify me by text message whenever I got an email from Berkeley, MIT, etc...

Actually, yes. For AT&T the email address is the number (10 digits) @ txt.att.net. Now, make sure you use the knowledge for good...

don't know.... since I'm not in the US my alternative was to buy a bb so I could be instantly notified if something major happens. Until now only things exciting i've read are related to the notifications on this forum that keep poping up in my email account.... talking about that, if there is an admin here, i've seen the iphone interface for the site, but there is no bb interface (to check the result page specially)

Okay, a bit of a trick for anyone who uses AT&T and is at at least my level of obsession at this point:

you can email a message to 10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net to have that message sent as a text to that phone number. So you can set up a filter that, for example, intercepts all incoming messages with *berkeley.edu in the from field and have them sent to you as a text message as soon as you get them. I just set this filter up for 8 of the 9 schools to which I applied (since one of the schools is my undergrad institution, and I get dozens of emails from them every day that I definitely don't want forwarded to my phone).

Hope you have fun with the tip! Haha.

Actually, yes. For AT&T the email address is the number (10 digits) @ txt.att.net. Now, make sure you use the knowledge for good...

Heh, thanks for the post, but I Googled it right after posting that message anyway, as you can see :)