MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2016 at 5:28 PM, thebestartistintheworld said:

last year it was started on aug 3!  we so excited.

That's crazy! This is only my second year partaking in this forum and I'm already slightly anxious about the title of a body of work I plan on including in my portfolio, so I can't imagine launching this thread even earlier haha.

HELP!!!

Im finishing my bachelors in something completely unrelated to graphic design but now i really really really want to do graphic design. I have 0 experience in it apart from a few posters/invites i designed for my college department. I really want to learn graphic design from scratch and feel that the best way i can learn is to go to school for it. I have a few options:

OPTIONS:

• 3 year MFA in Graphic Design (schools like RISD, CalArts, CCA)
  • Post-Bacc at MICA 
  • 2 year MS in Communication Design at Pratt
  • 2 year Associate's Degree(AAS) in Graphic Design at Parsons (know more: http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/aas-graphic-design-programs/)
  • 2 year AAS at Pratt where after the AAS, I can transfer to the 3rd year (Junior level) of the BFA in Comm Design)
  • Second Bachelors in Graphic Design

Is a 3 year MFA too far fetched? Is a post bacc a waste of time & money? Is an Associate's Degree worth it?

Help!

On 8/24/2016 at 3:48 AM, disjunctivesyllogism said:

HELP!!!

Im finishing my bachelors in something completely unrelated to graphic design but now i really really really want to do graphic design. I have 0 experience in it apart from a few posters/invites i designed for my college department. I really want to learn graphic design from scratch and feel that the best way i can learn is to go to school for it. I have a few options:

OPTIONS:

• 3 year MFA in Graphic Design (schools like RISD, CalArts, CCA)
  • Post-Bacc at MICA 
  • 2 year MS in Communication Design at Pratt
  • 2 year Associate's Degree(AAS) in Graphic Design at Parsons (know more: http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/aas-graphic-design-programs/)
  • 2 year AAS at Pratt where after the AAS, I can transfer to the 3rd year (Junior level) of the BFA in Comm Design)
  • Second Bachelors in Graphic Design

Is a 3 year MFA too far fetched? Is a post bacc a waste of time & money? Is an Associate's Degree worth it?

Help!

I'm not applying for an MFA in graphic design, but I have been working as a designer for ~3 years and also graduated with a fairly unrelated field (visual art / sculpture). My undergrad didn't offer any design classes, so I learned design entirely through internships & student jobs. Going to grad school imo is not a good way of learning design from scratch. Grad programs are going to expect you have a strong background in design coming in the doors; the only person I know to go to graphic design grad school had 10+ years of professional experience. Post-baccs are extremely expensive. I would focus on doing a few pro-bono projects for friends and then find an internship or a junior designer position. You should fill your portfolio with real work. The best way to learn design is to design a huge variety of things. 

If you are dead-set on formal education, I would look for a program that focuses on employment skills like Chicago Portfolio School. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than grad school / a post-bacc and only takes a year.

• 2 weeks later...

24 minutes ago, minakoruk said:

Hi, is anyone planning on going to the Yale open house? My schedule just cleared up and I want to go but the registration deadline has passed ? Should I just show up? 

Naw, I just registered, check again. Yale Open House 2016

53 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Did you guys get a confirmation email? I didn't get one which felt kinda weird—don't want to show up in New Haven and get turned around because the form didn't go through. ?

na ive been to one before.  It's pretty informal.  It's literally a tour, some people to talk to, etc. Nothing major that requires like waiting on line or anything like that.  At least it wasn't in 2012.

On 9/7/2016 at 5:52 PM, BlCEO said:

dude wtf you still not in a grad program?  Anyways,  I'll see you there probably.

What? lol- I just finish undergrad a few months ago. Taking the year off. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be applying this year again I think, though I haven't been super active with my art this year unfortunately. I'm probably going to be more low key this year. I'm getting the feeling that I need more time, and I should be applying to more residencies. If I do apply I wonder if I should apply to some of the same schools I did last year, or if I should try other places.

• 2 weeks later...

Very quiet this year... strange. Looking at Interdisciplinary programs. Second year applying. Does anyone know anything about funding for ICP Bard? I like the sound of the program.

I'm not freaking, mostly because I've got too much going on to freak out about getting in.  More of an inward, "what the hell am i gonna do for another year if i don't get in" type of freak out. 

This will be my 2nd year in a row applying to UC Berkeley, and I am indeed freaking out.  Kind of already got accepted to another program, but there's a prof I really want to work with at UCB, ergo round 2.

So I don't know if any of you have had this "problem," but I've only shown my art locally and don't have any artist grants or the like under my belt.  And I'm not from NY.  I've also never had a solo show, but it's largely because I've chosen to curate instead.  I'm curious how big a problem all this is.  It seems to me that the hardest part about this process is that we already know that it's all about the portfolio and artist statement, but if everyone's portfolio and statement are fantastic, then what??

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but that's what this forum is for, right?  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! New here, been snoopin' in on yall for a while tho :wub:. Glad there's a forum for us MFA prospectives. 

Did anyone go to Graduate Portfolio Review Day? http://www.portfolioday.net/graduate-events 

The first one was, err, today in SF, and I had to miss it. Just curious if I missed out on anything. Would love to hear feedback from anyone who's gone before, in case it's worth going to the one in Chicago next week.  

<3

Edited by let_me_in
grammar

On 10/22/2016 at 4:56 PM, let_me_in said:

Hi! New here, been snoopin' in on yall for a while tho :wub:. Glad there's a forum for us MFA prospectives. 

Did anyone go to Graduate Portfolio Review Day? http://www.portfolioday.net/graduate-events 

The first one was, err, today in SF, and I had to miss it. Just curious if I missed out on anything. Would love to hear feedback from anyone who's gone before, in case it's worth going to the one in Chicago next week.  

<3

It depends on what schools you are applying to because not all MFA programs attend NPD.  I personally recommend going, the schools that do attend typically send people who in someway are apart of the admission process. I've personally met a few chairs of departments/programs.