MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

11 hours ago, Zander said:

View the new faculty appointments here: https://roski.usc.edu/faculty-hire.

Even if USC MFA Program somehow manage to appoint Moses and Jesus as new faculty hire, I still wouldn't touch this program with a 10 ft poll. The senior administration that was responsible for all of this still has not resign. Apply at your own risk!

Hey Zander, 

Truth be told, had it not been for what happened at Roski last year, I would be happy to work with Patty Chang or Kori Newkirk. I admire both of their work. Don't know Edgar's work. Suzanne Lacy however, I think is weird. Not to throw her under the bus or anything but I think her work is too pragmatic and a friend of mine interned for her and I could tell she wasn't happy. 

Hey Folks, 

So I am applying to Yale, WashU, SAIC (just missed the early action deadline), Hunter College and UPENN sculpture where applicable. I'm applying from the Caribbean and plan on flying up if invited to interview. Because flying can be expensive, does anybody have rough dates of interview dates/schedule? More than likely I'll start from NYC and connect from there to New Haven, St.Louis etc. Ticket prices are extremely cheap at the moment! 

I'd appreciate the help. Hope everyone's almost ready! 

On 12/8/2016 at 7:43 AM, Poodle-Doodle said:

Hey Folks, 

So I am applying to Yale, WashU, SAIC (just missed the early action deadline), Hunter College and UPENN sculpture where applicable. I'm applying from the Caribbean and plan on flying up if invited to interview. Because flying can be expensive, does anybody have rough dates of interview dates/schedule? More than likely I'll start from NYC and connect from there to New Haven, St.Louis etc. Ticket prices are extremely cheap at the moment! 

I remember that SAIC and Yale were both late February last year (I remember some people even had conflicts). SAIC interviews everyone all in one day, so you could probably email them ahead of time to ask if it's already scheduled. I'm not sure about the other schools, I think Hunter was much later. 

As far as coordinating flights goes, it's rather inexpensive to fly to Chicago from NYC and you can easily take an amtrak train to St. Louis from Chicago. I know Southwest Airlines doesn't charge any fees to change flights & flies through the Caribbean, so maybe go with them?  

On 12/8/2016 at 7:43 AM, Poodle-Doodle said:

Hey Folks, 

I know Hunter has in person interviews the 11th of March. I have a friend in first year at WashU and she wasn't interviewed for admissions, they actually don't do it! 

Hi, good luck to everyone as deadlines near!

I have been working on my statement (some may say I started early!) and right now it is just a little bit over 500 words, which is the cut-off for schools like Yale and Columbia. SAIC and MassArt, where I am also applying, don't really have a strict word count outlined in their prompt. What do you guys think about submitting a one-pager that is like, 520 words? Is that a big no-no?

14 hours ago, minakoruk said:

Hi, good luck to everyone as deadlines near!

I have been working on my statement (some may say I started early!) and right now it is just a little bit over 500 words, which is the cut-off for schools like Yale and Columbia. SAIC and MassArt, where I am also applying, don't really have a strict word count outlined in their prompt. What do you guys think about submitting a one-pager that is like, 520 words? Is that a big no-no?

I think should be fine as long as the statement is still one page long. I can't imagine that they will be counting each word. :P

But I think it is worth mentioning that I have been advised to keep it a little shorter than 500 words if possible. This advice came from both a friend currently at Bard, and a friend who works at CalArts. 

On 12/12/2016 at 6:53 AM, YayYayYay said:

I think should be fine as long as the statement is still one page long. I can't imagine that they will be counting each word. :P

But I think it is worth mentioning that I have been advised to keep it a little shorter than 500 words if possible. This advice came from both a friend currently at Bard, and a friend who works at CalArts. 

Hi YayYayYay thanks for the generous advice! That does make sense. 

Are there any other POC's out there who's scoping out schools recent alumni and current students and faculty members to make sure that you're wont be he only artist of color.  I just don't want to be the only token black artist.

I say this because I have a few friends in other MFA programs feel isolated, like they have to fight for there work more then their white peers. 

6 hours ago, Zander said:

Are there any other POC's out there who's scoping out schools recent alumni and current students and faculty members to make sure that you're wont be he only artist of color.  I just don't want to be the only token black artist.

I say this because I have a few friends in other MFA programs feel isolated, like they have to fight for there work more then their white peers. 

Hey, I'm not a POC but this is something I was thinking about when I visited a bunch of schools last month. For Yale, I did notice that their sculpture Q&A was primarily white panelists (I think all white, but might be remembering incorrectly) and only one woman; but looking at the current students (at least for sculpture) there is diversity, it's kinda frustrating that it wasn't reflected in the panel. 

I am totally jumping the gun here, but I'm worried about the possibility of an in person interview with Yale. I understand that they ask for us to bring our paintings with us. I have to save ahead of time for everything (app fees, portfolio photographed, plane fare, etc) and am nervous I may not be prepared for unexpected costs. Some of my works are 5 - 6ft tall.

If you got an interview, how do you guys plan to bring your large works with you? If I brought it on the plane with me, how do I get it to the campus? Uber? lol

Also, are there art delivery services anyone could recommend? I just don't trust FedEx, UPS, and USPS (witnessed friends' horror stories.) Want to see what the cost of other options would be.

@YayYayYay Mana Contemporary does art transportation services. I haven't used them personally, but I trust that they would be well-versed in taking care of your work. Do you drive? It might be just as much to rent a uhaul and move stuff yourself if you're going coast-to-coast. I used this app called Dolly to move sculptures in-town—you can use that app just for labor for loading/unloading things into a truck. The guys who I ended up with were really careful with my piece and listened to me when I explained how to best move it (it was a ~150lb sculpture, 8ft tall that was semi-flexible). Dolly might be an option too if you need help moving from the airport. 

@sylviecerise 

Wow! Thank you for your response, it is super helpful. I will check out both Mana and Dolly, get a price quote so I can start saving (just in case.)

I have considered driving, but worried about added cost should I get involved in an accident. If it all rounds out relatively the same I prefer avoiding surprises. But who knows, depending on the quote, I may just decide to drive in the end should it come down to it :P

This Dolly app is rad, can't believe I didn't know about it sooner. I'm sure I'll be using it for more than MFA purposes. Thanks again!

Edited by YayYayYay

4 hours ago, YayYayYay said:

I am totally jumping the gun here, but I'm worried about the possibility of an in person interview with Yale. I understand that they ask for us to bring our paintings with us. I have to save ahead of time for everything (app fees, portfolio photographed, plane fare, etc) and am nervous I may not be prepared for unexpected costs. Some of my works are 5 - 6ft tall.

If you got an interview, how do you guys plan to bring your large works with you? If I brought it on the plane with me, how do I get it to the campus? Uber? lol

Also, are there art delivery services anyone could recommend? I just don't trust FedEx, UPS, and USPS (witnessed friends' horror stories.) Want to see what the cost of other options would be.

Call all of your work sculpture, and then you don't have to bring it with you. BAM!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have all my applications done. Now for the awful months of waiting... Anyone else apply to CalArts after the deadline? I'm torn between thinking it hurts my chances or realizing they probably have a soft deadline for a reason. 

Hey guys, 

Some of you applied to Yale in the past. Can you please help with how the word interest is interpreted in the prompt below? I was talking to friend who has her Master's an explained that interest does not have to be relegated to the work or your philosophy as an artist but can also be used to show that you're a human that does other things than art. 

1. A one-page statement that addresses your influences, interests, current work direction, brief life history, and reasons for applying to a graduate program at this time. The statement should be no more than 500 words and should make reference to the representative work in your portfolio.

(Sorry @PoMo Blues, not applying there)

Thanks anyone who can help. 

Hi all!

I was here last year and applied to UB, SFU, Oxford and northwestern. I got into all except Northwestern and ended up going to Guelph. I just wanted to draw everyone's attention to the studio art MFA at the university of Guelph. The funding here is great (I have a TA ship and stipend which covers my tuition and most living expenses for both years). There are also some external funding opportunities you can apply for in your second year (more If you're Canadian though). The program is rigorous and small in size so we have a lot of time with the faculty (we're 7 people per year in a 2 year program). We also have great studio spaces. I think this school tends to slip under the radar internationally despite its good reputation in Canada so I thought I'd bring it up as an option for anyone interested. 

Good luck on the applications! 

How's everyone holding up this year so far? It seems pretty quiet on here for this time in the application process, but I'm sure you're all finalizing materials and such (I only just finally settled on the image sequence for my portfolio this afternoon, but the middle of my statement is still giving me trouble).

Im doing swell.  Everything is turned in and I'm playing the waiting game till end of Jan-Mar.  I was thinking about applying to Columbia, but... too expensive if I got in.