MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

Submitted Yale a few hours ago! Didn't have any problems with Yale's system—it isn't as convenient to label works as slideroom, but it works. Now just freaking out a little about the one letter I'm waiting on ... she emailed me last night to say she'd submit this afternoon, so I'm hoping she's just running a little behind. 

Also started submitting other apps. I realized I missed Rutger's request to describe your practice in 50 words or less. Anyone else applying there—how are you approaching that vs your longer artist statement?? I'm tempted to try writing something a little more abstract for the 50 words, but equally pulled to write a sort of two sentence elevator pitch or something about materials... 

Good luck to everyone working towards the 11:59:59 deadline!

Edited by sylviecerise

12 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Submitted Yale a few hours ago! Didn't have any problems with Yale's system—it isn't as convenient to label works as slideroom, but it works. Now just freaking out a little about the one letter I'm waiting on ... she emailed me last night to say she'd submit this afternoon, so I'm hoping she's just running a little behind. 

Also started submitting other apps. I realized I missed Rutger's request to describe your practice in 50 words or less. Anyone else applying there—how are you approaching that vs your longer artist statement?? I'm tempted to try writing something a little more abstract for the 50 words, but equally pulled to write a sort of two sentence elevator pitch or something about materials... 

Good luck to everyone working towards the 11:59:59 deadline!

I am missing a recommendation as well. At this point I am not stressing it at all. According to admissions, recommendations can come in a little after the deadline just not other materials from the applicant. 

Either way 0 stress. 

50 abstract words for Rutgers can be fun! A friend of mine challenged me to boil down to one sentence. 

Congrats to everyone who submitted to Yale!  

I submitted to Pratt and Hunter today, it was such a relief to just click it and all the stress (hahaha) be out of my control.

On to finishing another essay...

Did anybody on here apply to Yale for the MFA Graphic Design program? 

In regards to the Yale app. I'm still waiting on one of my references to submit her letter for me. Is anyone else in the same boat? 
Do they still review your application if you're waiting on one reference? 

I emailed admissions at Yale the other day to ask but haven't heard back yet .. 

2 minutes ago, strawberry_jam said:

Did anybody on here apply to Yale for the MFA Graphic Design program? 

In regards to the Yale app. I'm still waiting on one of my references to submit her letter for me. Is anyone else in the same boat? 
Do they still review your application if you're waiting on one reference? 

I emailed admissions at Yale the other day to ask but haven't heard back yet .. 

Still waiting on one reference.  I wouldn't think they'd of reviewed all the applications by today, and I'd assume they would review during business hours, so try to push your reviewer to submit before sunday!

@sylviecerise I swear UCLA's application is designed to weed out the faint of heart. There are so many essays! Yes I am writing the personal essay. I am also applying for the diversity fellowship and that's an extremely strenuous essay. Plus I don't get why the statement of purpose and artist statement are two separate entities when they basically address similar concerns. 

Not to mention that the images all have to by under 2000*2000 pixels or the site rejects them. 

30 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

@sylviecerise I swear UCLA's application is designed to weed out the faint of heart. There are so many essays! Yes I am writing the personal essay. I am also applying for the diversity fellowship and that's an extremely strenuous essay. Plus I don't get why the statement of purpose and artist statement are two separate entities when they basically address similar concerns. 

Not to mention that the images all have to by under 2000*2000 pixels or the site rejects them. 

Im fairly certain one of the essays isn't required.  I think it says it on their MFA site.  I think its the one thats on the main UCLA app.

-Just submitted my Tyler Painting Applications today!!!! Tyler Just might be the only MFA program that'll be applying to...

-Believe it or not, the UCLA app is better than last year, you couldn't even see your images! I just gave up!

2 hours ago, BlCEO said:

Im fairly certain one of the essays isn't required.  I think it says it on their MFA site.  I think its the one thats on the main UCLA app.

The statement of purpose and artist statement are both required; a personal history essay & the diversity statement are the optional components. 

I'm surprised too that they don't ask applicants to combine their SOP and artist statement. No wonder they take forever to review applications ...

The diversity statement was what I was working through today as well. I send them an email if the MFA committee reviews it or if it's just the fellowship committee and they responded that the MFA committee will read it, but it's ok if the diversity statement replicates parts of your SOP or artist statement since it's the main thing the fellowship committee will be looking at. 

23 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Everybody got your transcripts into UCLA on time? I think I might have to drop UCLA. Everywhere else accepts an unofficial transcript for the initial phase, not UCLA. Any thoughts? Am I the only one on this sinking ship? 

UCLA wants transcripts postmarked by January 11, so as long as you get them out by tomorrow you should be good!!

3 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Everybody got your transcripts into UCLA on time? I think I might have to drop UCLA. Everywhere else accepts an unofficial transcript for the initial phase, not UCLA. Any thoughts? Am I the only one on this sinking ship? 

Guh! :o

So glad I looked through the forums today, I see in my past notes I indicated that UCLA wants both transcripts (one uploaded, one sent) but I have absolutely no memory of sending the official one. Emailing admissions to check... :wacko:

@sylviecerise I resized all of my images to be under 2000px squared and stored them in one separate folder, that way upload is easy breezy. I told you guys, this UCLA application is no joke. I am still on the fence on whether or not I am going to submit for this especially after finding out that my Black @$& don't qualify for the diversity fellowship. 

@sylviecerise I'm curious what they'll tell you. I have already submitted my app and didn't know of any problems, but I could have missed it. The thumbnails of all my images were blurry before submitting, but clicking on them revealed photos that were not distorted. Perhaps try checking in a different browser? I hope you can get it figured out. 

Edited by Leo168

On 1/6/2017 at 10:23 PM, Zander said:

-Just submitted my Tyler Painting Applications today!!!! Tyler Just might be the only MFA program that'll be applying to...

-Believe it or not, the UCLA app is better than last year, you couldn't even see your images! I just gave up!

Finishing my Tyler painting essay right now, I'm so into that program I'd be psyched if I got in!

@Leo168 they said that they've had several applicants report the same problem, but it looks fine on their end. Also that it might be a browser problem. I tried uploading & viewing image in my two non-preferred browsers and still the images were enlarged. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just trusting that the images will show fine on their end. 

Submitted my UCLA app to the tune of To Die In LA. Just Rutgers to go!!