MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

3 hours ago, Pfox said:

I had two interviews last week one from my top school sfai and one from my lower end school cal state San Bernadino!

Got accepted to San bernadino yesterday still waiting to hear from sfai- they said mid march.

waitlisted three weeks ago at uc Davis

still haven't heard anything from cal arts(Called and they said they will be sending acceptance letters next week.

havent heard from Washington state

or Hawaii or Otis or Colorado state or asu or u of a 

got one no from Berkeley 

hope his hells I will keep you posted! 

My fingers are crossed for sfai 

even tho my interviewer got switched from a painter to a sculptor the day Before and the conversation strayed from my art and we more about what I do outside of art which I felt odd about... the interviewer teaches more at Stanford anyway which is odd... so I hope I get in:/ 

I'm currently at CalArts and for the School of Art and the School of Film and Video they take a while to send out letters due to the volume of students and how talented everyone is; so don't worry it's only taking a while because you've got a great portfolio; I'm sure. :)

1 hour ago, PoMo Blues said:

SAIC with half tuition and 15k grant - so around 60k in debt all told - worth it? Having a hard time swallowing that price tag. 

No - but it depends on your situation. If you're the average grad student looking at the average artist's future (25-40k$ / yr) with no savings to kickstart it and will have to finance all of it thru student loans you need to consider that 60k will basically mean paying double rent for 10-20 yrs (your payments will likely be btwn 700-1200 month) depending on, again, your situation. You can get payments lowered but this accrues more interest and costs you more long term - like, if you want to lower your payments to 3-400 a month you'll likely be paying your loans off into your 50's or something. Personally, my ceiling for total cost of an MFA would be in the 20-30k range, and I already get fairly consistent freelance work in my field (photo) that makes it more possible to pay off while going through it if I get a few of the right jobs. If you get better funding elsewhere I'd think hard about it... you might think about talking to some recent grads of the program though, usually they will be pretty candid with you. SAIC definitely gets mixed reviews from alum. I know some who have loved it, some who's debt has been a long long burden for them. 

Then again, if any of us were really that logical about money we wouldn't be going for this to begin with - with the exception of maybe the best funded programs that actually waive tuition and pay you a decent stiped. There is the odd artist who will pay their loans off ahead of schedule (Hank Willis Thomas mentioned something about this last time I saw him speak) and well, then yea, it was probably worth it. So I guess, how do you feel about your chances of getting to that level? I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum may actually get there so you never know.

Edited by felixo

4 hours ago, Chrisel said:

I also didn't get in.  They told me that they won't be sending me a rejection letter, but rather change my status to a "no action" and then asked me to consider to reapply next year.. really not what I wanted to hear...  

This is ridiculous! It's like, just be straight with me. Like and being stood up for a date without any explanation. Just tell me I'm ugly already - at least I'll have closure. It's not like any of us are new to rejection in some form or another...

I contacted UCLA and Columbia, my top schools, about sculpture decisions. They haven't made decisions. "Mid-March" acceptance/rejections will be emailed out. I have to notify my accepted programs about my decision before that and am unsure if can wait that long. Anyone else in the same boat? Can we ask our accepted schools for extensions or pay their deposits, wait to see if we get in to either UCLA or Columbia, then peace out of them? Send me feedback about the two schools or thoughts in general. 

With all this MFA admission anxiety, I've been spending my time binge watching youtube artist panel/artist talk, and I thought I should share this panel discussion with you all. They talk a lot about the young artist, art school/students, and the general politics of painting, among other things you will find relevant.  The moderate was so shady throughout the panel talk so it made it very entertaining to watch. If anything, please watch the Q&A at the end it!!! :D 

3 hours ago, felixo said:

No - but it depends on your situation. If you're the average grad student looking at the average artist's future (25-40k$ / yr) with no savings to kickstart it and will have to finance all of it thru student loans you need to consider that 60k will basically mean paying double rent for 10-20 yrs (your payments will likely be btwn 700-1200 month) depending on, again, your situation. You can get payments lowered but this accrues more interest and costs you more long term - like, if you want to lower your payments to 3-400 a month you'll likely be paying your loans off into your 50's or something. Personally, my ceiling for total cost of an MFA would be in the 20-30k range, and I already get fairly consistent freelance work in my field (photo) that makes it more possible to pay off while going through it if I get a few of the right jobs. If you get better funding elsewhere I'd think hard about it... you might think about talking to some recent grads of the program though, usually they will be pretty candid with you. SAIC definitely gets mixed reviews from alum. I know some who have loved it, some who's debt has been a long long burden for them. 

Then again, if any of us were really that logical about money we wouldn't be going for this to begin with - with the exception of maybe the best funded programs that actually waive tuition and pay you a decent stiped. There is the odd artist who will pay their loans off ahead of schedule (Hank Willis Thomas mentioned something about this last time I saw him speak) and well, then yea, it was probably worth it. So I guess, how do you feel about your chances of getting to that level? I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum may actually get there so you never know.

You can use a loan calculator to see what your payments would (likely) look like: http://finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

I have little insight into student loan repayment but I know that half tuition scholarships are really sought after at SAIC. There are smaller grants for advanced students according to the scholarship fact sheet I was given at my interview. They also have a handy list of outside scholarships. I am not saying go for it 100% but from what I understand you are doing low res and might have some form of steady income elsewhere? In any case, I wish you the best!! 

6 hours ago, PoMo Blues said:

SAIC with half tuition and 15k grant - so around 60k in debt all told - worth it? Having a hard time swallowing that price tag. 

If  you are not in debt by now then 60 K is not so bad? But if you already have undergrad debt then yeah I think that's a lot. Although all my professors who have gone to the art institute have a lot of debt. Standard i guess? 

I received my Royal College of Art acceptance last night!!! This is my first choice school, and I'm crazy excited. I had thought for sure I was rejected because the administrator had told me the results would come out in 1-2 weeks, and I had waited a month. Congrats to other's offers as well! Anyone else planning on RCA? I'm still excited to see Goldsmiths as well. There are some notable advantages they have, namely dedicated studio space. At the RCA you basically get a desk and small square of space... but the facilities are top notch none the less, and the tutors seem wonderful. 

So:

RCA: Interview 2/7 Acceptance 3/3
Goldsmiths: Interview 3/16
UCI: Assumed Rejection

7 hours ago, Causofit said:

If  you are not in debt by now then 60 K is not so bad? But if you already have undergrad debt then yeah I think that's a lot. Although all my professors who have gone to the art institute have a lot of debt. Standard i guess? 

Ok - I'm speaking as a mid 30's guy who finished grad school (not mfa) as a 25 yr old with a similar amount of debt in a field that's slightly more practical than art - the loans were mostly from undergrad and I have mostly better interest rates than you can get today. I've made a modest living since then, mostly living the way I want, but very simply. I can tell you that if I did not have monthly loan payments I would have had more resources to travel and put into my work, and enjoy life in terms of not stressing going out to dinner etc. I made rent every month - but 60k is substantial enough to change your day to day life and you will have to make adjustments for it. If I could have done this part of my life over again I would have found a cheaper way to do it - given what I've ended up pursuing as a career. 60k is worth it if it plays directly into a decently rewarding career - but as someone who actually does a bit better than most other artists I know (strictly terms of income, because of commercial applications) I can tell you that 60k is a big risk if you're gonna have the average artist's career.

Don't underestimate the ball and chain of loans. A lot of professors teach because they basically have to, because they are saddled with debt from school and can't take the risk of the inconsistent income that comes with being a practicing artist, and therefore they make less art. If they didn't have the debt, they'd be free to make more art. I'm not saying they don't love to teach, but it's a muddy situation in terms of motives for many of them and worth being aware of - is that a situation you want to be in etc? For some, it's a good way to go, for some, maybe you don't want that. The higher the loan balance the more you take choice out of the equation. 

Edited by felixo

Hey everyone- I'm new to this site, specifically joined because of the MFA discussion- side note- are there other MFA discussion - or professional artist forums out there? 

I applied to Yale and Hunter, (painting program) denied, denied. 

I also applied to Boston University Painting dep- got an interview, haven't heard back yet. 

What are the reasons why a person wouldn't be accepted? Does anyone want to take a look at my stuff and give me a harsh critique, seriously? Does this matter- I have nothing on my CV- sad I know. I'm 25, what can I do to improve my chances for next year? Should I focus on the work, my CV, statement? 

I know this question is super ambiguous, let me know if anyone has any thoughts. 

My work can be found here- my site

Thanks, Emily ^_^

Edited by emilydebroux

On 3/2/2017 at 7:18 PM, ksmiles said:

Anyone else have an interview at Cranbrook?

Yes, for the ceramics department. They called me last week. Invited me to visit and interview during a prospective students day on March 10th. I 

Edited by Swanfarte

2 hours ago, emilydebroux said:

Hey everyone- I'm new to this site, specifically joined because of the MFA discussion- side note- are there other MFA discussion - or professional artist forums out there? 

I applied to Yale and Hunter, (painting program) denied, denied. 

I also applied to Boston University Painting dep- got an interview, haven't heard back yet. 

What are the reasons why a person wouldn't be accepted? Does anyone want to take a look at my stuff and give me a harsh critique, seriously? Does this matter- I have nothing on my CV- sad I know. I'm 25, what can I do to improve my chances for next year? Should I focus on the work, my CV, statement? 

I know this question is super ambiguous, let me know if anyone has any thoughts. 

My work can be found here- my site

Thanks, Emily ^_^

Hey Emily! I don't think that you should take rejections as negative reflections of your work. Yale & Hunter are both crazy difficult to even get interviews at, especially for painting. At both schools I've been to so far (Yale & Rutgers), they said they had a lot more applicants than previous years. My guess is because people want to go to schools like Yale, Hunter, Rutgers that offer good funding bc of the political atmosphere. You should consider an accomplishment to get an interview at Boston! There were people I've talked to who got rejected from every school they applied to, only to get accepted to really great programs a few years later. Lastly, a lot of schools have a particular type they're looking for (I think this is extra true for painting). When I was wandering around the painting studios at Yale, I noticed that everyone was making very large work. They also look for someone who is going to benefit from their specific style of dialogue. Don't take rejections as value statements—they might just think you aren't the right fit. Lastly, I think the importance of your CV varies school-by-school. It wouldn't hurt to do some residencies that have exhibition opportunities if it doesn't work out this year; that would also help you continue to push your work & make new connections. 

Sorry for rambling! But hopefully this is helpful. I like your work's sense of color a lot!! 

57 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Hey Emily! I don't think that you should take rejections as negative reflections of your work. Yale & Hunter are both crazy difficult to even get interviews at, especially for painting. At both schools I've been to so far (Yale & Rutgers), they said they had a lot more applicants than previous years. My guess is because people want to go to schools like Yale, Hunter, Rutgers that offer good funding bc of the political atmosphere. You should consider an accomplishment to get an interview at Boston! There were people I've talked to who got rejected from every school they applied to, only to get accepted to really great programs a few years later. Lastly, a lot of schools have a particular type they're looking for (I think this is extra true for painting). When I was wandering around the painting studios at Yale, I noticed that everyone was making very large work. They also look for someone who is going to benefit from their specific style of dialogue. Don't take rejections as value statements—they might just think you aren't the right fit. Lastly, I think the importance of your CV varies school-by-school. It wouldn't hurt to do some residencies that have exhibition opportunities if it doesn't work out this year; that would also help you continue to push your work & make new connections. 

Sorry for rambling! But hopefully this is helpful. I like your work's sense of color a lot!! 

Thank you for taking the time to reply, sylvieceriseYou were not rambling, this is my first year applying and any insight/ advice helps! 

Good point about scale- I hadn't considered it much before, even at BU everyone was also making large scale work. 

I think you're right about residencies, especially seeing that I live in a art-remote area currently, it wouldn't hurt. 

?? 

Emily 

7 hours ago, Xndr said:

I received my Royal College of Art acceptance last night!!! This is my first choice school, and I'm crazy excited. I had thought for sure I was rejected because the administrator had told me the results would come out in 1-2 weeks, and I had waited a month. Congrats to other's offers as well! Anyone else planning on RCA? I'm still excited to see Goldsmiths as well. There are some notable advantages they have, namely dedicated studio space. At the RCA you basically get a desk and small square of space... but the facilities are top notch none the less, and the tutors seem wonderful. 

So:

RCA: Interview 2/7 Acceptance 3/3
Goldsmiths: Interview 3/16
UCI: Assumed Rejection

Congrats!!!!! 

Edited by oliveoil

On 3/1/2017 at 3:34 PM, dyldyldyl said:

so I've known I was rejected from Hunter for a week or two now, since I knew all interview invites had gone out. 

but I got my first official notice of rejection yesterday...but not from someone in the art/painting dept....it was someone from their masters of teaching program, which I thought was really odd. not only that, but they were encouraging me/offering that I could transfer my application, free of charge, to be considered for that program instead- what?!

then I get a rejection again today,  this time from the graduate art department- with a very blunt subject line " Application declined for Hunter MFA 2017-2018 admissions " folllowed by an email with several typos. 

kind of disappointing, after all the effort I put into my app, you'd think they'd do a better job at communicating. .. 

(sorry for the non-story, just figured this forum was a better place for me to vent than directly to the admissions peeps.. lol)

I'm with you on this. What a ridiculous email.  Poor grammar, Type-O's, ugh. And the invitation to apply to a program I have no interest in???

19 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

I contacted UCLA and Columbia, my top schools, about sculpture decisions. They haven't made decisions. "Mid-March" acceptance/rejections will be emailed out. I have to notify my accepted programs about my decision before that and am unsure if can wait that long. Anyone else in the same boat? Can we ask our accepted schools for extensions or pay their deposits, wait to see if we get in to either UCLA or Columbia, then peace out of them? Send me feedback about the two schools or thoughts in general. 

You can totally pay for one (and or more) of your accepted schools and then inform them that you have had a change of heart (for whatever reason you choose to disclose) it's just that I assume that's an expensive decision to turn back on as most acceptence fees are around 700-1000$. I would perhaps contact the school and ask for an extension first because usually that fee can not be refunded. :/

Thank you everyone for the advice regarding loans. It's a difficult decision. SAIC Low-Res was my top choice because I could maintain my full-time museum job during the regular school year and I feel unbelievably lucky to have got as much aid as I was offered. So while I make around 40k a year, plus whatever I can get through art - I'm terrified of loans. I have no debt currently and the freedom that has allowed me cannot be understated. I am beginning to think I may pursue residencies and low-cost opportunities and reapply in the future, although I realize this is probably the best offer possible for me from SAIC. Adulting is hard. 

11 minutes ago, PoMo Blues said:

Thank you everyone for the advice regarding loans. It's a difficult decision. SAIC Low-Res was my top choice because I could maintain my full-time museum job during the regular school year and I feel unbelievably lucky to have got as much aid as I was offered. So while I make around 40k a year, plus whatever I can get through art - I'm terrified of loans. I have no debt currently and the freedom that has allowed me cannot be understated. I am beginning to think I may pursue residencies and low-cost opportunities and reapply in the future, although I realize this is probably the best offer possible for me from SAIC. Adulting is hard. 

Good choice.  All of my professors (without exception) tell me that going into significant debt for an MFA is “ridiculous.” “Don’t do it!” they say. Same goes for all of the visiting artists who spoke about the benefits of the MFA experience. “If you are going to go into debt, make it as little as possible, it is never going to be worth it.”  Meaning, the experience is both priceless and un – quantifiable but don’t pay dearly. At least that is the message I am receiving. The obvious extrapolation would be:  unless you are able to afford an MFA without taking loans or are being funded in large part, then re-apply until you get funding.  The thing is, that many of these same profs and proffs will offer a caveat, “don’t borrow to go, unless you get into your number one, then do whatever it takes.” So I am wondering, same as you; what gives? This rationalization of “going for it,” while simultaneously lamenting that decision is more confusing than it is helpful.  So am I willing to burden the future me with an onus he can’t manage? Not really. But on the other hand, I have been able to handle whatever the young me threw at the older, present-day-me and trust me, that kid (me) made some terrible decisions, so I’ll be OK. Maybe.  Or how about that I got rejected from #1 and there is a new #1? How about that I have four number ones anyway?  What if my #3 isn’t fully funded but is near enough that I can keep my job, but part of the reason I went to art school at my advanced age is because I am sick of my job?  I’m thinking this is not only a decision about who I will be in the future but also about who I am right now.  This has the proportions of an existential crisis.  I can move the barre where ever I want and still feel like I am listening to reason but I don’t want to be the guy who tells future students that I regret taking on debt and I don’t want to be the guy in a program he only kind of likes, thinking to himself “I should have waited for another cycle.”  I want to make the right decision NOW!  Of course, there might not be a real answer except to say that whatever is decided should be acknowledged as the best decision available at the time, and it sounds like you have done just that.  I am grateful for your disclosure in this forum. It will help to know that sanity can prevail if I find myself in this situation after my interviews.  

On 3/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, Gwhar1 said:

What was the Glasgow interview like? I am interviewing next Thursday with them. I won't be able to attend without some funding so I feel your pain. What school is offering full funding for you. That is going to be a huge factor in your decision of course...

On 3/3/2017 at 0:11 PM, Xndr said:

I'm curious why they have you paying the international rate... on the website for Goldsmiths it said EU residents pay 9550. Did they mention why? How was your interview with them? I have an interview there on the 16th!

The Glasgow interview was very chill. It was supposed to be 2 people, but ended up being only one. He basically asked about my work, why Glasgow, and what I would add to the group dynamic. I mostly did all the talking. He basically said he would make a decision immediately after the interview, and he did, so I received an acceptance within 24 hours.

The Goldsmiths Interview seemed a bit rushed. They made it clear that they had very strict time constraints, so I felt like I had to talk very quickly and concisely. They asked all of the questions they prompted in the e-mail, which are basically talk about one piece (I ended up talking about all 3 bodies of work in my portfolio) and why Goldsmiths. Because they seemed pressed for time, I thought it meant they weren't super interested, but I think I misread them. They said they had two more weeks of interviews, but I ended up getting an acceptance the next day.

As for the funding, despite having EU citizenship I reside in the US, and they decide pricing based on residency. Neither offered any kind of funding in their offers, and the funding options listed on their websites for international students is pretty meagre.