MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

Just got a phone call -- accepted to SAIC! (photo)

1 minute ago, M@H said:

Thanks guys for your support :) I am hopeful the situation will get better in the upcoming years.

Honestly, if I were an international student (from any country) I would probably be wary of going to school in the US until the political situation improves. With the insane travel ban, uncertain funding for the arts in the future (!!!), and whatever else may be in store... ugh. I'm sorry SVA probably won't work out for you right now; I hope your education and studio practice do not get derailed too much. 

2 hours ago, M@H said:

Thanks, in that case I will not be able to afford it. I am from Iran, and with this new order I couldn't go to the US anyway, so not much to mourn for after all.

It's a shame that it looks like things won't work out as far as the US goes. Best of luck on wherever life DOES bring you, though!

So...I'm excited. Still haven't heard from RIT, but I DID get an acceptance letter from my backup school today: MICA! Not an MFA, but the MPS in Information Visualization program. It's clearly different from a medical illustration program, but it still allows me to get my foot into the world of scientific communication (the visual side to be exact). It's also a hecka lot cheaper. Still crossing fingers for RIT though.

Side note: my undergraduate degree was a Bachelor of Science. Majored in biology, minored in Leadership and Global Understanding. And though science will always captivate my interest, my real passion's always been in art. I figured scientific communication would be a good way to blend the two.

1 hour ago, thiswildballoon said:

I saw someone posted about Tyler Painting and I got an email from them saying they had not made decisions yet and that they will not be until the end up March ugh. Has anyone applied to University of Delaware??

Did they send an email to everyone in painting? Still waiting for sculpture too... 

1 hour ago, M@H said:

Thanks guys for your support :) I am hopeful the situation will get better in the upcoming years.

Hoping the same for you as well!! It's disgusting what has been happening. You absolutely deserve to get an education wherever you want.

@M@H ugh I'm so sorry.  Have you thought of looking into programs in Canada or possibly England? (but idk about the climate there either.)  If not, maybe take this as an opportunity to really hone your art so maybe in a few years you can really get into an amazing program!

I went to NYC this weekend to see the Armory Show and Spring/Break.      :wub::wub::wub: 

I'm actually pretty excited about my exceptance to Pratt now.  I saw a few Pratt alumni at Spring/Break, a recent grad's solo show in LES and some Trudy Benson at the Armory Show!  When I got home I got my official acceptance and there was mention of qualifying for an assistantship which pays up to $7k for semester.  I'm looking at debt, not a crapton... but I'm gonna try to ask them for more.  And then pray something happens to me that it won't be terrible in the end.

4 hours ago, Yellow_Hat said:

Feeling very discouraged by this entire process. I've gotten into NC State for graphic design and have an interview at Cranbrook (2D) but the rest of the schools I applied to, Yale (rejected) U of M (seems like rejection) and RISD (also looming rejection) I can't peg down any sort of reasoning, really wish there was a way to get feedback.

Does anyone else feel this is much harder to navigate than undergrad? I knew it would be difficult but wasn't expecting so much confusion.

Congrats to all of you on the good news! And good luck to everyone still navigating.

Congrats on NC State and your Interview at Cranbrook! I don't know much about NC state, but Cranbrook is a really great school and has a rich and influential history in graphic design! Don't get too discouraged — it takes a lot of people a few rounds of applying to get in and to really find out what schools are best for them! A lot of the schools you applied to only accept around 10 students a year out of about 300 applicants! Did you study graphic design for your undergraduate degree? Have you taken any time off after your bfa? 

Edited by oliveoil

Uh to those who applied to Indiana-Bloomington: I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, but I applied there in  2015 for painting, and I received a response (rejection) from them on March 19th that go around. That was when it was still called the Hope Radford Hope School of Fine Arts though. Not sure if the name change means they've downsized the department or what, but I hope it eases someone's nerves out there? Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have received acceptances! :)

Edited by leekrasner

10 hours ago, oliveoil said:

Congrats on NC State and your Interview at Cranbrook! I don't know much about NC state, but Cranbrook is a really great school and has a rich and influential history in graphic design! Don't get too discouraged — it takes a lot of people a few rounds of applying to get in and to really find out what schools are best for them! A lot of the schools you applied to only accept around 10 students a year out of about 300 applicants! Did you study graphic design for your undergraduate degree? Have you taken any time off after your bfa? 

Thank you! 
I have taken time off yea, I finished undergrad in graphic design in 2013 but applied and pursued more fine art based work throughout my degree.  I fear I've gotten too swept up in the "commercial world" of graphic design in NYC and somewhat lost touch with the more academic and conceptual rigor so to speak that is needed for graduate school.

But you're entirely right, the application process alone has been very informative and quite the learning experience and could very well be picked up again next year. Thank you for the reply!

How is your decision process going? Congrats on your acceptances so far! 

To those who applied to GSU: I applied to the Graphic Design program and got an email yesterday requesting an interview. (My interview is later today).

Hopefully those who are waiting also got an email / will get an email soon!

Edited by medicenana

14 hours ago, thiswildballoon said:

I saw someone posted about Tyler Painting and I got an email from them saying they had not made decisions yet and that they will not be until the end up March ugh. Has anyone applied to University of Delaware??

Don't you mean by the end of Feb?

@Vespertine

Thanks so much, this is all great to know, and is extra help for me towards my application cycle. But I guess my confusion is with why information about NYU from outside perspectives is virtually nonexistent. I can't even find a write up about the program unless it's a sponsored short about applications opening. Just seems strange is all.

Congratulations on your acceptance to SAIC! Everyone I know who've received their MFA there couldn't rave about the program enough :)

Edited by chirpchirp

1 hour ago, Yellow_Hat said:

Thank you! 
I have taken time off yea, I finished undergrad in graphic design in 2013 but applied and pursued more fine art based work throughout my degree.  I fear I've gotten too swept up in the "commercial world" of graphic design in NYC and somewhat lost touch with the more academic and conceptual rigor so to speak that is needed for graduate school.

But you're entirely right, the application process alone has been very informative and quite the learning experience and could very well be picked up again next year. Thank you for the reply!

How is your decision process going? Congrats on your acceptances so far! 

It's going well — really really stressful though! I will be so relived once this whole process is over! It has totally destroyed my social life. hahah. 

I totally feel you on getting swept up in the "commercial world". It is so hard to find the time to make things for your self when you work full-time! I have a general fine arts degree and even though I applied to 2 yr programs — I did show some of the non design artwork that I was making in college for some of the more conceptually driven programs like yale (they super hate client work and I have mostly client work). I was really worried about it because it was not "graphic design" but they seemed to respond to it better then anything else in my portfolio. I don't know your reasons for applying to grad school — but for me it really helped to show where I was coming from and to frame the work that I wanted to be making. All that to say — maybe its worth taking a look back at the work you made in school in order to give context and position yourself! 

Good luck on Cranbrook!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Everyone that I know that has gone through that program is a total bad ass. My favorite teacher ever went there too! 

Edited by oliveoil

Congratulations to everyone so far! And to you guys who haven't gotten quite what you wanted; don't give up! I don't believe in the theory of No, rather I believe in No(t right now). So keep making the work and most importantly stay true to who you are and what motivates you and why you make art. 

I also wanted to share with you guys. I got admitted into SAIC with a full scholarship in sculpture!  

4 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Congratulations to everyone so far! And to you guys who haven't gotten quite what you wanted; don't give up! I don't believe in the theory of No, rather I believe in No(t right now). So keep making the work and most importantly stay true to who you are and what motivates you and why you make art. 

I also wanted to share with you guys. I got admitted into SAIC with a full scholarship in sculpture!  

Congratulations! For the full scholarship!

Still waiting for SAIC D&T's offer, anxiously:(

Not sure if this is kosher but I'm nosing around on behalf of my spouse to see if anyone has heard from Bloomington and noticed some people were waiting to hear from GSU a few pages back. My spouse had an interview for painting a couple of weeks ago and was waitlisted last week. I will say that (according to my significant other) they didn't do so great on the interview as far as answering as to why they had a couple of Cs in art history courses early on in their academic career and then felt like they may have offended the painting instructors by asking if they felt their students tended to be more interdisciplinary or traditional. 

Edit: Forgot to add they were accepted to Arkansas with partial funding and a promise of full funding + assistantship for the next two years. GSU was actually 3rd choice so no love lost. Good luck everyone, I was there a few years ago so I know how terrible it can be!

Edited by ESF2017

2 hours ago, Zander said:

Don't you mean by the end of Feb?

"Thank you for your interest in the Tyler School of Art. The Painting Department has started to make decisions but no decision has been made on your application yet. You should be hearing back by the end of March. Please let me know if you have any questions!"

Copy pasted from my email.

33 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Congratulations!!!! Very excited for you ???

1 hour ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

holy smokes!! thats amazing! congrats!!!!

2 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

That's fantastic! Congrats. 

Just wondering, did you get your scholarship information along with your official acceptance? I just got an informal phone call from a professor last night saying I was accepted and should receive more information later this week. Hoping there will be some amount of funding included...