MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

15 minutes ago, dunton said:

Waitlisted at Northwestern. Waitlisted at every school I've applied to.  This is my third time applying and I'm 35 and not getting younger and am pretty broken hearted. ?

Same boat.  3rd time, all rejections.  Keep on keeping on!

17 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

Hey all, new here as I didn't know something like Grad Cafe even existed until the other day. Hello hello! Definitely just as frustrated with the staggered timelines of each school. My results are as follows...

I was accepted to Tyler for painting on February 3 with a full-ride merit scholarship. Woohoo!

Waitlisted at VCU on February 21.

Had interviews at Rutgers and UC Irvine, still waiting to hear back from them. 

Haven't heard a word from RISD, so assuming that's a no go.

Would be thrilled to go to Tyler, and feeling like that's most likely what I'll do.  Though I definitely would appreciate solid answers from my other schools as well. What a bonkers process! Excited for all who are getting positive responses, and for those still waiting, this is the biggest test in patience, but I feel like we'll know all of our results real soon. Don't let negative responses make you question your worth as an artist. My mentor likened filling grad programs to casting a play... they're looking for the right set of characters and variety of work just as much as they are striving for a collection of strong artists. Keep at it folks!

Congratulations on Tyler!!! 

4 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

Same boat.  3rd time, all rejections.  Keep on keeping on!

You too.  At least I'm not the only one! Gonna try to get some residencies.  Maybe try for a low res or MA next year.  

19 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

Hey all, new here as I didn't know something like Grad Cafe even existed until the other day. Hello hello! Definitely just as frustrated with the staggered timelines of each school. My results are as follows...

I was accepted to Tyler for painting on February 3 with a full-ride merit scholarship. Woohoo!

Would be thrilled to go to Tyler, and feeling like that's most likely what I'll do.  Though I definitely would appreciate solid answers from my other schools as well. What a bonkers process! Excited for all who are getting positive responses, and for those still waiting, this is the biggest test in patience, but I feel like we'll know all of our results real soon. Don't let negative responses make you question your worth as an artist. My mentor likened filling grad programs to casting a play... they're looking for the right set of characters and variety of work just as much as they are striving for a collection of strong artists. Keep at it folks!

Ah ha someone accepted to Tyler! Congratulations!!! I would love to see your work if you'd be willing to share your website.

2 minutes ago, dunton said:

You too.  At least I'm not the only one! Gonna try to get some residencies.  Maybe try for a low res or MA next year.  

Yeah dude! Just gotta keep refining your work, and hope for the best next time around.

22 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

Congrats on Tyler!

27 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

Tyler!! Fantastic :) Congrats

26 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

Congrats on Tyler! I went there for undergrad. You have to take at least a class with Karyn Olivier in Sculpture, if you go there. It's a really great program, let me know if you need any advice etc. 

Phone Interview with Glasgow School of Art. I think I did well but I've thought that at job interviews before and ended up kicking rocks so fingers crossed. I stammered hard on the "What will you bring to the program?" I almost said "I'm really nice." :/ 

32 minutes ago, dunton said:

Waitlisted at Northwestern. Waitlisted at every school I've applied to.  This is my third time applying and I'm 35 and not getting younger and am pretty broken hearted. ?

Hey! you still got a chance. Wait listed at Northwestern? That should make you feel great. Your mid thirties is a totally reasonable time to get your MFA. I'm 28, this is my second year applying.  Holding an art practice down is a mature thing to do. And it takes time. Better late than never, Things never go the way I think they will.

1 hour ago, Mfa2017jjj said:

Anyone else waiting for Columbia University?

I am, for sculpture, but I see Poodle Doodle has received an acceptance already. I haven't heard anything.

Hey all

I've been lurking for a second, but my anxiety has reached a point where I'm eager for answers.

I interviewed for Columbia and Yale for sculpture but I have yet to get any notice in regards to acceptance. I've been on the edge of my seat all week because I would be ecstatic to attend Yale.

I've been waiting to exhale and have put every aspect of my life in a financial/emotional limbo for this process. 

Skype Interview at Goldsmiths upcoming and I haven't heard aaaaaanything from UCLA.

17 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I am, for sculpture, but I see Poodle Doodle has received an acceptance already. I haven't heard anything.

Just called them. It seems like they will notify everyone the 15th March. But it seems that there has already been some decisions made but she said she was not sure if all acceptances have been sent. So apparently if the head of the department does not send anything before, an official answer will come then from the admissions. Kind of sad here imagining I will get a no. But still holding on some hope and refreshing my email and the forum all the time. 

Edited by MfaNewGenres

@dunton I feel ya re:age-- I'm 32 w/two kids! Forever figuring it out....

I haven't heard anything from Northwestern & I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Did they say they're waitlisting a specific amount of applicants/interviewers?

@apoemaballet do you have any news?

Edited by Cengstro

13 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Hey all

I've been lurking for a second, but my anxiety has reached a point where I'm eager for answers.

I interviewed for Columbia and Yale for sculpture but I have yet to get any notice in regards to acceptance. I've been on the edge of my seat all week because I would be ecstatic to attend Yale.

I've been waiting to exhale and have put every aspect of my life in a financial/emotional limbo for this process. 

Skype Interview at Goldsmiths upcoming and I haven't heard aaaaaanything from UCLA.

Thats great! Those are all great schools! Yale said that they will let everyone know by March 11th. Good luck!!

11 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Hey all

Hey!! Also sculpture for Yale here. :D Yale sends all its acceptances through the same portal thing that we got interview requests & also all departments send at the same time. I think we should hear back very early AM on Saturday. A friend who is the painting department now said that they sent the application update at 2 or 3 in the morning. Hoping we both get in!!! I've been more & more excited about Yale after the interview. It was crazy how directed the interview was towards individual practices instead of general questions.

12 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Hey!! Also sculpture for Yale here. :D Yale sends all its acceptances through the same portal thing that we got interview requests & also all departments send at the same time. I think we should hear back very early AM on Saturday. A friend who is the painting department now said that they sent the application update at 2 or 3 in the morning. Hoping we both get in!!! I've been more & more excited about Yale after the interview. It was crazy how directed the interview was towards individual practices instead of general questions.

After meeting the faculty, grad students, and viewing the facilities I was soooo excited about the opportunity. Those grad students just seemed so content (good sign) and were genuinely good people. 

The interview was way more focused than others. They are definitely making efforts to figure out you and your work. I appreciated that. 

Would be doing backflips if I get in.

56 minutes ago, thiswildballoon said:

Ah ha someone accepted to Tyler! Congratulations!!! I would love to see your work if you'd be willing to share your website.

Thank you! Very excited indeed! You can find my work at my definitely-needs-to-be-updated website www.katiebarrie.com

50 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Congrats on Tyler! I went there for undergrad. You have to take at least a class with Karyn Olivier in Sculpture, if you go there. It's a really great program, let me know if you need any advice etc. 

Thank you! It feels like a great program... visited a few weeks ago and loved the talent and range of student work. Also seemed like a supportive community among the grad students. Will definitely reach out for further insight and advice!

39 minutes ago, Yetti said:

When did you have your interview?

Hi all! I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Columbia and asking to sit in on a class? I am trying to decide between a few programs, I was invited to sit in on a class at Art Center and REALLY loved the program. They seem to be really open to helping out with decision making, and I'm unsure how Columbia would be...do you guys think that is a normal thing to do?

8 minutes ago, crembrule said:

Hi all! I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Columbia and asking to sit in on a class? I am trying to decide between a few programs, I was invited to sit in on a class at Art Center and REALLY loved the program. They seem to be really open to helping out with decision making, and I'm unsure how Columbia would be...do you guys think that is a normal thing to do?

Which discipline did you apply for?

31 minutes ago, Cengstro said:

@apoemaballet do you have any news?

@Cengstro Waitlisted along with @dunton -- the message says they are "in the process of making offers to the top six candidates," so not quite sure if that means all those messages have been sent or not. :/

19 hours ago, Lounyc said:

Hi All!

I recently found this forum and though I'd share. I applied to Bard and Rutgers as a photo major.

Bard: Interview 3/4, Waitlisted (found out this afternoon)

Rutgers: Interview 3/3, Accepted (via phone call on Sunday night 3/5)

This process was much more intense than I thought it would be, and I haven't even applied to as many schools as some as the others!

Goodluck and Congratulations to you all.

@Lounyc – Congrats on the acceptance and waitlist!

This may not be my year, but did you happen to check if your application status is updated online for Rutgers (i.e. the RUID login at AdmissionServices)?