MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

24 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Just wondering, how was the interview experience for you? I felt like mine went really well, but they do a good job of keeping a poker face. I ate an entire funfetti cake yesterday because I've been so anxious.

It felt really positive for mine as well! I had a few moments of self depricating humor which got some laughter from them. I'm going to PM you in more detail tonight. Now that the wave of relief has passed, I'm back to being anxious as well. Keep reminding myself that it's an accomplishment to even get this far and I can always apply next year if it doesn't work out. 

6 minutes ago, peanutbutterjelly said:

I called as well~ I spoke to Alex and he mentioned that each committee has their own timeline. Some will call their accepted candidates right away while some take longer to decide. He mentioned that there are sometimes gaps of 2 weeks between people who are notified of their acceptance and some are even notified at the end of march! I'm trying to stay hopeful as well :/  

Thank you for sharing!!

8 hours ago, Cengstro said:

@dunton I feel ya re:age-- I'm 32 w/two kids! Forever figuring it out....

I haven't heard anything from Northwestern & I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Did they say they're waitlisting a specific amount of applicants/interviewers?

@apoemaballet do you have any news?

I haven't heard anything yet either :/ doesn't seem like a very good sign

6 minutes ago, ksb62 said:

Has anyone heard from Ohio State? I had an interview but I haven't heard back from them yet. I applied for painting. Trying not to get my hopes up for OSU 

I applied for painting as well and was waitlisted. Notified by email a couple of weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, LingX22 said:

Congratulation! Do you mind showing me some of your works? I would love to see them.

21 minutes ago, oliveoil said:

Thats great!!! Congrats!! 

Thank you! ?

I'm so relieved to have answers from all my schools now. Well, Columbia still never sent an official rejection, but it seems pretty obvious since the interviews have already happened! Now I can stop incessantly refreshing my inbox...

Dear Admission gods,

Just come to a decision already! My inbox is on the brink of a nervous breakdown and my index finger is tired of refreshing this freak-out-forum. At this point, it doesn't matter what the decision is, JUST GIVE IT TO ME!

Looking very, very forward to your response.

godspeed,

Your loving MFA Applicant

1 hour ago, Vespertine said:

Also I just saw a few of you posting about age -- don't get hung up on it. I've met plenty of artists in MFA programs who were 40+ years old. It's really not out of the ordinary at all. 

Yup, me. I'm over 40 and couldn't be more excited about committing to an MFA and dedicating all day everyday (except when I'm at day job) to my practice. My profs and peers have all been supportive and advisers tell me not to hide, but to put forward my age as it helps with configuring a diverse cohort - life experience and all that. And I'm not even  the oldest kid in my undergrad program. If I don't find a program this round I'll try again. One of my fave profs got his MFA at 51 and his career is growing to the point where he has difficultly finding time to take teaching gigs. Of course multiple rounds without being selected will test the most resolute, no shame in voicing that aggravation, but I concur: age really isn't a concern 

7 hours ago, eyerolling said:

I also recommend you guys to apply in Europe, many schools are for free or almost for free and with good structure.

Eyerolling, do you have specific free European programs that you would recommend exploring and do these programs offer the same access and amenities as American programs? I looked into a few and they seemed to have less of a focus on individual studio time, and more of an emphasis on traditional curriculum.

2 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

Eyerolling, do you have specific free European programs that you would recommend exploring and do these programs offer the same access and amenities as American programs? I looked into a few and they seemed to have less of a focus on individual studio time, and more of an emphasis on traditional curriculum.

Check the schools in Germany, most of them are very studio based and sometimes not speaking German is not a problem. For Germany you apply for a Professor class directly. Dussedorf, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg are some of the schools that take people without necessarily speaking German. They have the Meisterschule system, which is not validated exactly like an Mfa, so depending of what you want an Mfa for is not for you. But those are pretty solid schools. 

Then Vienna is kind of the same as in Germany, with Vienna being a quite good school with renowned faculty. And I have also heard about The Netherlands, they have the Sandberg Institut in Amsterdam that is cheap and apparently a good school with deadline due April. 

7 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

Royal Academy of Art in London is a free 3-year programme that provides a stipend of roughly 300 GBP / month, but it has visa restrictions with international students due to recent changes in policies. Actually way before BREXIT.. Definitely worth checking in with the Admission office though. I spoke to few of the alumni and they said the school really do want more presence of international students in the school. The facility is currently under construction, so the studio space isn't perfect. Though, it is located in the heart of London, along with one of the most prestigious museum (Royal Academy). The faculty (and the visiting artists) is amazing and they present some incredible opportunities for students and alumni.

Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam does an amazing, year-long residency programme. Call for this year's closed, but I'm attaching the link anyway: http://www.rijksakademie.nl/ENG/residency/aanmelden/ The Rijksmuseum is a contemporary art museum in Amsterdam which hosts some of the greatest modern and contemporary art.

I heard very good things about this programme called de Ateliers, in Amsterdam. I actually met a graphic designer who graduated from this programme, which he enjoyed very much. It's a free of tuition, plus living stipends and a large studio: http://www.de-ateliers.nl/en/

Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, Belgium is renowned for its fashion alumni (The Antwerp Six!), but it is actually a really prestigious school for fine Art too. It is not free but it is very, very cheap. Also, Antwerp is absolutely beautiful and people there are so nice!

And of course, all these programmes are taught in English. 

Edited by 7edkim

8 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

Dear Admission gods,

Just come to a decision already! My inbox is on the brink of a nervous breakdown and my index finger is tired of refreshing this freak-out-forum. At this point, it doesn't matter what the decision is, JUST GIVE IT TO ME!

Looking very, very forward to your response.

godspeed,

Your loving MFA Applicant

I feel this so hard.

Had my interview on Tuesday and got on offer yesterday, Thursday from the RCA.

Suddenly feeling conflicted about whether it's a good move doing a MFA, anyone else feel worried they're making a mistake? I guess if It wasn't London and expensive to live here I felt less conflicted. 

21 hours ago, Vespertine said:

Accepted to SFAI with $35k scholarship per year! 

Just waiting on RISD now, aghhh... 

For what program? I had an interview and I thought it went well for painting, but I just keep getting emails from them about their program and no acceptance letter :/