MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

1 hour ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Hey @sylviecerise totally silly question but do you know if you can reorder the images in UCLA's application once uploaded? I dread the thought of having to delete everything just to upload them. 

I had to delete it all and upload in the order i wanted.

I wonder about Columbia's fee waiver too. I heard from previous years that they flat out did not do fee waivers (maybe I am imagining this?) so I didn't ask and was waiting for the absolute last second to put the $100 on my credit card...

Good luck to all!!!!

Didn't end up applying to UCLA for the same reasons you guys are describing, plus I love my four seasons too much!  I think one person posted they got in last year, they didn't both saying which program it was. UCLA Fee waivers are only offered to current seniors and you have to get a letter from your school financial aid office to be approved for one. UCLA has very nice funding you wouldn't need something like a diversity scholarship when the art department is already fully funding and includes a stipend. 

On 3/23/2013 at 11:23 AM, Erpnope said:

I got my official admit letter from the school of art for UCLA, full tuition, non resident compensation and a 18k stipend for the first year. Unreal. Totally freaking unreal. Unsure what the deal is with the second year....

On 3/19/2011 at 8:27 PM, ECM said:

Just received a formal letter of admission to UCLA's Painting and Drawing program. Yip! After patiently waiting for months I know where I'm going. $15k (TA+scholarship from what I can tell by the letter?) not much but I'm willing to take the loans if I can establish residency in a year. It'll be worth it I think.

ACT: I found out my status (rejection) from my slideroom account about a month back, they had put RJ on my application page, through the forum I figured it means a rejection.

Best of luck to everyone this month!

Last year Columbia MFA Chair was nice enough to response back to my email to informing me that they do not offer fee waivers. 

On 1/6/2017 at 7:34 PM, BlCEO said:

Still waiting on one reference.  I wouldn't think they'd of reviewed all the applications by today, and I'd assume they would review during business hours, so try to push your reviewer to submit before sunday!

Thank you for the reply! My reference didn't submit until Monday night but I think I shoouuuuuld be okay. I didn't submit my application until Jan 2nd so mine will most likely be one of the last they review. Just hoping I get an interview .. 

Man, I can't believe there aren't any other graphic design applicants posting on here yet! C'mon guys ... where my digital comrades at?

Submitted SAIC Photo this morning. I didn't realize they would give you until the end of the week to complete unfinished applications (in case anyone else is torn about applying to multiple programs). 

Everyone that applied to Tyler, how early did you submit the Temple application?  I didn't submit everything until the 13th, since the Temple application asked for a statement of goals (which I assumed was the same statement we were to write and attach to slideroom?)  I sent my transcripts and my letters of recommendation are done but now I'm psyching myself out that everything wont be processed before they review applications.

2 hours ago, meghanmetier said:

Everyone that applied to Tyler, how early did you submit the Temple application?  I didn't submit everything until the 13th, since the Temple application asked for a statement of goals (which I assumed was the same statement we were to write and attach to slideroom?)  I sent my transcripts and my letters of recommendation are done but now I'm psyching myself out that everything wont be processed before they review applications.

I submitted the Temple application on 12/17 to be safe. I got a receipt of my application three days later. Since Tyler is quite nebulous about what "well before the deadline" means, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think there's anything in the Temple application that they will be reviewing that wasn't in the Slideroom application. 

2 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

I submitted the Temple application on 12/17 to be safe. I got a receipt of my application three days later. Since Tyler is quite nebulous about what "well before the deadline" means, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think there's anything in the Temple application that they will be reviewing that wasn't in the Slideroom application. 

Cool, I think I'll check my application status on Tuesday and call or email to be safe.  

Hey Ya'll- is anybody applying with a ceramics portfolio? What programs are you applying to? It can be a pretty different situation for us ceramics people- just wondering what you guys think about how the approach differs. Good luck to all! 

Im just applying to Hunter (clay and casting) and Columbia Sculpture this year. Maybe NYU? 

www.rebexman.com

Well, it looks like I'll be putting all my eggs in one basket, finger crossed! 

I'm still waiting for ONE MORE letter of rec. Tyler MFA Painting Admissions says that all my letters must be in by Jan 17. I submitted my temple application Jan 08, btw...

2 hours ago, tunamindmelt said:

Hey Ya'll- is anybody applying with a ceramics portfolio? What programs are you applying to? It can be a pretty different situation for us ceramics people- just wondering what you guys think about how the approach differs. Good luck to all! 

Im just applying to Hunter (clay and casting) and Columbia Sculpture this year. Maybe NYU? 

www.rebexman.com

I applied ceramics to UCLA & Iowa.

UC-Riverside - not media specific, Northwestern - not specific & UC-Irvine - Sculpture.

My approach was much the same for all 5 apps. Majority of images were my most recent ceramic/sculptural & then ended with some furniture, social practice, performance stuff... same artist statement for ea. 

www.calebengstromdesign.com

Edited by Cengstro

2 hours ago, tunamindmelt said:

www.rebexman.com

Also: Yer work, WOW!

36 minutes ago, Cengstro said:

UC-Riverside - not media specific, Northwestern - not specific & UC-Irvine - Sculpture.

My approach was much the same for all 5 apps. Majority of images were my most recent ceramic/sculptural & then ended with some furniture, social practice, performance stuff... same artist statement for ea. 

Id sit in that leather chair you designed.  looks awesome.

12 hours ago, Cengstro said:

Awesome- thanks for sharing! You're work is great! Love the black sculptural piece. I did a residency at Cal State Long Beach and loved it there- since you're looking at Cali schools maybe you'd be interested in their grad program. 

Thanks for taking a look at my work!

Hey guys, 

So I am thinking about thank you gifts that I can send to my recommenders but I am a bit stuck. I don't want to be too cheesy but at the same time I am watching the amount of $$$ that I am going to spend. Any suggestions? If you wrote a recommendation for someone what would be an appropriate gift? Also is it too early to send thank you's, should I wait until I hear back from programs? 

Thanks in Advance!

Hey guys, 

So I am thinking about thank you gifts that I can send to my recommenders but I am a bit stuck. I don't want to be too cheesy but at the same time I am watching the amount of $$$ that I am going to spend. Any suggestions? If you wrote a recommendation for someone what would be an appropriate gift? Also is it too early to send thank you's, should I wait until I hear back from programs? 

Thanks in Advance!

In my opinion, it's better to do it earlier--I've already sent some. But that's just me. 

I hand made some cards and incorporated scraps and "pieces"/scraps of photos that I have been recently working on, including a thoughtful note in each one.

I am curious as to what other people did, too. :] 

Hey guys, 

Thanks in Advance!

I was just thinking about asking the same question here yesterday haha. I'm probably going to send something out this week or next & then send an email update with what my success rate is. Thinking of baking something with as few allergens as possible, getting bottles of wine, or buying them coffee beans. + a handwritten note.