MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

Hey yall, I have been lurking for a while but first time posting!!

I got admitted to SAIC's painting program!!!! And it is my top choice, but the admission package had no mention of funding :( (Its kinda frustrating cus even for my undergrad, I got into SAIC with some funding but it was nowhere enough.) I know the school have mixed reviews, but I felt like it would be a good fit for me but I just can't afford the full tuition and huuuuge amount of debt.

I'm an international student, and SAIC doesn't support need based financial aid to internationals. 

So, I was gonna write them a nice email inquiry for a merits scholarship but wonder how feasible it is. Do you have any advise for me or know any international student with similar experience?? 

Just gimme dat $$$ darn it lol

43 minutes ago, StarryNight_1 said:

Thank you Vespertine! 
I am trying to go through as much student work I can to assess whether or not I should apply. Apart from reading up on reviews, I haven't been able to find any essays that might help me convey the turmoil in my statement of purpose. How does one even write an SOP?
Would you recommend interning with artists, or galleries etc?

I can't think of any essays particularly focused on artist statements, but reading some classic art/theory texts might help you see the ways you can write about art! Lots of common art school texts are listed here: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/art-theory

3 hours ago, StarryNight_1 said:

Thank you for taking the time to write back!
I know this will sound incredibly gloomy, but seeing the quality of work people on this forum have done in order to get admitted into an MFA, I don't think I have it in me or stand a chance and I'm literally in tears. I really want to make this work, but I cannot think of practical ways of making up for the lack of a BFA. Will interning with people help, or is that going to be a waste of time? 

Oh yeah, definitely not a waste of time. Any exposure to the inner workings of the art world is going to be a boon to your practice. I was thinking that If I were you I would look for a post bacc I could afford. It's the quickest way to get accustomed to the important parts - developing a visual language of your own, participating in Informed critique, talking about your art, and placing what you do in context with contemporary art. Those are the components needed to advance a practice beyond talent and that's what is in the SOP (It is difficult to write even if you have the chops) You are also going to need references from people who can speak to your art and your process, being involved in a post-bacc will make this possible. The problem is that Post Bacc Programs can be pricey. I am sure others in this forum have ideas on how to move forward but definitely stay firm in your resolve. 

4 hours ago, StarryNight_1 said:

Since you live in India, I am not sure what kind of programs are available to you. Take art classes in whatever shape and form you can find them, at a local college, with a Master or via the post bacc Gwhar1 suggested. The main point is to continue learning and perfecting your portfolio. Also, I'm not sure if you've had time to read the variety of opinions on the freak-out-forum's 67 pages here, yet most agree that time spent in the "real" world will help with your practice. It is better to do an MFA later, once you have some experience, than as a means to jump into your first artistic experience. Lastly, as an artist you will always have to learn. It never ends, BUT there is a maturity of thought that plays into contemporary art making which isn't obtainable or hard to come by without life experience.   

6 hours ago, chikapea said:

@MariaTheGreat  I was accepted as well and am curious about the program. I know Josephine is doing some great things. Would love to visit but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible before I have to make a decision.  @Samanthafay when you interviewed were you able to talk to any of the current students? Were the studios a good size and private? Thanks!!

The studios were huge and private with great natural light.  I spoke to a second year grad painting student who was giving the tour. He only had good things to say. 

17 hours ago, MariaTheGreat said:

Hey no peeps on Boston? No one answered me. I want to know about BU and life in Boston.

I didn't apply to any schools in Boston however I am from there and went to Massachusetts college of art and design. I had a lot of friends who did their undergrad program at BU. From what I saw visiting them it seems like a great program. They had big studios and a great lecture series. There are large gallery spaces for student shows there as well. BU itself is right in kenmore sq in the heart of Boston near Fenway and has a great campus. Boston has over 60 colleges so there is an endless amount of opportunities to explore museums and libraries- including all the amazing ones in Harvard. As for the art scene a lot of it gets sucked up by NYC but it's growing with the ICA, MFA, Mass Art and SMFA. Great little contemporary gallery district in SOWA ( south end in Boston ) on Harrison streeet. As well as alternative spaces. In terms of living- the city is 1/3 students so very active academically. If you are going to BU I suggest finding an apartment in Allston or Brighton. Both cheaper areas close to campus. If you get a two + bedroom you can live for cheapest 600/700 a person.  Hope this helps ! 

6 hours ago, chikapea said:

@MariaTheGreat  I was accepted as well and am curious about the program. I know Josephine is doing some great things. Would love to visit but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible before I have to make a decision.  @Samanthafay when you interviewed were you able to talk to any of the current students? Were the studios a good size and private? Thanks!!

11 hours ago, Samanthafay said:

I was waitlisted for BU, but i was really impressed with the school an studios when i interviewed there. They offer funding up to half off tuition i think. Boston was amazing, but so expensive.

16 minutes ago, Samanthafay said:

The studios were huge and private with great natural light.  I spoke to a second year grad painting student who was giving the tour. He only had good things to say. 

6 minutes ago, Kailyn90 said:

I didn't apply to any schools in Boston however I am from there and went to Massachusetts college of art and design. I had a lot of friends who did their undergrad program at BU. From what I saw visiting them it seems like a great program. They had big studios and a great lecture series. There are large gallery spaces for student shows there as well. BU itself is right in kenmore sq in the heart of Boston near Fenway and has a great campus. Boston has over 60 colleges so there is an endless amount of opportunities to explore museums and libraries- including all the amazing ones in Harvard. As for the art scene a lot of it gets sucked up by NYC but it's growing with the ICA, MFA, Mass Art and SMFA. Great little contemporary gallery district in SOWA ( south end in Boston ) on Harrison streeet. As well as alternative spaces. In terms of living- the city is 1/3 students so very active academically. If you are going to BU I suggest finding an apartment in Allston or Brighton. Both cheaper areas close to campus. If you get a two + bedroom you can live for cheapest 600/700 a person.  Hope this helps ! 

Tnx for responding.

9 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

Oh yeah, definitely not a waste of time. Any exposure to the inner workings of the art world is going to be a boon to your practice. I was thinking that If I were you I would look for a post bacc I could afford. It's the quickest way to get accustomed to the important parts - developing a visual language of your own, participating in Informed critique, talking about your art, and placing what you do in context with contemporary art. Those are the components needed to advance a practice beyond talent and that's what is in the SOP (It is difficult to write even if you have the chops) You are also going to need references from people who can speak to your art and your process, being involved in a post-bacc will make this possible. The problem is that Post Bacc Programs can be pricey. I am sure others in this forum have ideas on how to move forward but definitely stay firm in your resolve. 

Thank you Gwhar1! I did look up Post-Bacc programs, but you rightly guessed it's very costly. I can't afford both, an MFA and a post bacc. Your points have been very helpful :)

8 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

Since you live in India, I am not sure what kind of programs are available to you. Take art classes in whatever shape and form you can find them, at a local college, with a Master or via the post bacc Gwhar1 suggested. The main point is to continue learning and perfecting your portfolio. Also, I'm not sure if you've had time to read the variety of opinions on the freak-out-forum's 67 pages here, yet most agree that time spent in the "real" world will help with your practice. It is better to do an MFA later, once you have some experience, than as a means to jump into your first artistic experience. Lastly, as an artist you will always have to learn. It never ends, BUT there is a maturity of thought that plays into contemporary art making which isn't obtainable or hard to come by without life experience.   

Thank you Artsy2017! 
67 pages?

8 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

Got it! 

On 3/12/2017 at 0:34 PM, Gwhar1 said:

Thanks Poodle-Doodle, I will read asap! and congrats on all of your fine program options, you deserve all of them. Your work is fantastic and judging by the way you treat folks in this forum you'd elevate any program! 

Awe, that's really sweet of you @Gwhar1 Thank you!

19 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

You in the MFA game: 

giphy.gif

Thanks Nicole! I am excited for you too! 

18 hours ago, eyerolling said:

Poodle Doodle, wow after wow!! Congrats!! Have you decided where you are going to go?

@eyerolling First and foremost I love your username! Thank you. I have no idea yet but there are three programs that are going to have a lip-sync extravaganza. May the best program win. Good luck! and Fuck it up! :D:D:D

18 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

You are killing it! Congrats again!!

Thank you! 

Has anyone heard from Tyler for painting? I have not heard a peep, so I'm assuming I did not get in.

My RISD interview went great, should hear back in the next week- but I got into BU"S MFA in Painting with a full scholarship! So excited. Not sure if a better offer is possible at this point, so despite still having multiple schools to hear back from still, I think my decision is likely already made. 

@MariaTheGreat, happy to answer further questions about Boston, as I currently live here and have since 2010. I have a love-hate relationship with Boston, but I wouldnt have been here for as long as I have been if I didnt like it. :) 

1 hour ago, wompwompwomp said:

Has anyone heard from Tyler for painting? I have not heard a peep, so I'm assuming I did not get in.

My RISD interview went great, should hear back in the next week- but I got into BU"S MFA in Painting with a full scholarship! So excited. Not sure if a better offer is possible at this point, so despite still having multiple schools to hear back from still, I think my decision is likely already made. 

@MariaTheGreat, happy to answer further questions about Boston, as I currently live here and have since 2010. I have a love-hate relationship with Boston, but I wouldnt have been here for as long as I have been if I didnt like it. :) 

I also haven't heard back from Tyler. Someone posted some pages back that they heard they were now going to get back to people in late March, so don't lose hope just yet! Not to mention that they weren't conducting any interviews this year. The administration totally fudged my application, but I think we all still got a chance lol. 

On 3/11/2017 at 8:29 AM, thiswildballoon said:

Don't beat yourself up! Big schools are really picky and art is so subjective it's not something easily quantifiable. Just know you're not alone in all your feelings of doubt!! We're all here with you!!!

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much! It's the people like you who restore my faith in the goodness of people :')

17 hours ago, This guy said:

If Cornell accepted six, does anyone know how many are usually wawaitlisted need some great feedback lol

Stephanie the coordinator replied and she said "around 15 including yourself"... around :blink:

Wonder how many people they have interviewed...

@wompwompwomp @leekrasner @sylviecerise

This is for Tyler painting, though I know sculpture follows the same format, I just don't know exactly how many people they're accepting this year...

What I think is taking Tyler so long is that they accepted five people initially, and they gave us each three weeks to decide if we were accepting that acceptance or not. If someone said no, then they're pulling from their next group of applicants. I don't know if those people get the same timeline, but basically, it sounds like the process is obviously getting pretty drawn out. I was accepted on February 3, and accepted on the last day that I could because I found out at such an early date compared to every other school, (gotta love these staggered timeline!), and despite Tyler being one of my top choices, I wanted to hear back from other schools too.

So, if anyone else who was accepted February 3 waited until the 24th to tell them no, then Tyler accepted their #6 choice, and gave them some sort of deadline to say yes or no, leading to the radio silence situation that is happening right now. They sent out rejections in early February as well, so if you haven't heard from them yet, then you're probably still in the running. I've been in touch with a current first year and she said word on the street is that "three or four" of the allocated five have said yes. So especially for those of you who have gotten these awesome offers elsewhere ( @wompwompwomp congrats on the full ride to BU! And @sylviecerise Yale sculpture what's up?!), you should probably take those awesome offers because darn, those are fantastic programs! But here's hoping everyone hears from all their schools real soon because limbo is no fun at all.

Theme today and always: these admissions' processes are bonkers.

11 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

@wompwompwomp @leekrasner @sylviecerise

This is for Tyler painting, though I know sculpture follows the same format, I just don't know exactly how many people they're accepting this year...

What I think is taking Tyler so long is that they accepted five people initially, and they gave us each three weeks to decide if we were accepting that acceptance or not. If someone said no, then they're pulling from their next group of applicants. I don't know if those people get the same timeline, but basically, it sounds like the process is obviously getting pretty drawn out. I was accepted on February 3, and accepted on the last day that I could because I found out at such an early date compared to every other school, (gotta love these staggered timeline!), and despite Tyler being one of my top choices, I wanted to hear back from other schools too.

So, if anyone else who was accepted February 3 waited until the 24th to tell them no, then Tyler accepted their #6 choice, and gave them some sort of deadline to say yes or no, leading to the radio silence situation that is happening right now. They sent out rejections in early February as well, so if you haven't heard from them yet, then you're probably still in the running. I've been in touch with a current first year and she said word on the street is that "three or four" of the allocated five have said yes. So especially for those of you who have gotten these awesome offers elsewhere ( @wompwompwomp congrats on the full ride to BU! And @sylviecerise Yale sculpture what's up?!), you should probably take those awesome offers because darn, those are fantastic programs! But here's hoping everyone hears from all their schools real soon because limbo is no fun at all.

Theme today and always: these admissions' processes are bonkers.

Yeah, I'm 99.99999% sure I'm going to Yale (just waiting on aid to officially matriculate), mostly figured I don't mind being the person to shake their admissions for some concrete dates :D And on less serious notes—I want to know if I get rejected from everywhere but Yale bc that would be pretty amusing & showcase how getting into school a doesn't guarantee you get into schools b and c. And my partner's name is Tyler and I'm at the emotional point now where I'm ready to crack "you rejected me!!!!" jokes. 

Rutgers is supposedly similar—they accept people as late as May.

Edited by sylviecerise

@KatieB1987 If that's the case, an update saying I've been wait-listed would have been nice lol.

I just wonder if they even reviewed/received my application because the admissions office didn't fix it til the 14th (so probably not). When I emailed the painting department asking about it, I just got a generic response that didn't confirm anything. Bonkers is right. 

Edited by leekrasner

34 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Yeah, I'm 99.99999% sure I'm going to Yale (just waiting on aid to officially matriculate), mostly figured I don't mind being the person to shake their admissions for some concrete dates :D And on less serious notes—I want to know if I get rejected from everywhere but Yale bc that would be pretty amusing & showcase how getting into school a doesn't guarantee you get into schools b and c. And my partner's name is Tyler and I'm at the emotional point now where I'm ready to crack "you rejected me!!!!" jokes. 

Rutgers is supposedly similar—they accept people as late as May.

You're going to love it! I drove up to New Haven a couple of years ago and sat in on two consecutive critiques (first for the photography department, then for sculpture), and the energy was incredibly electric and the back and forth between the students and faculty members was very in-depth and illuminating. The school itself also seemed like a great venue to produce and showcase work, so I'm sure your two years there will prove to be a very productive and rewarding experience.