MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

So,

I interviewed at Yale for sculpture. They ask you to do a formal presentation of your work to the students and faculty. I was not flustered, I spoke from the heart and hip about my practice. However, they took issue with me not having an arts degree. A faculty member had stated that my work was too emotional to critique, and that the work I presented containing my brother's ashes (though absolutely relevant to my research about "performative objects", and the feature of an entire conceptual exhibition) was a faux pas. I had gotten rejected from Yale.

I interviewed at Columbia. I have not heard anything, and I realize that if I were to gain acceptance, I'd likely be a second or third choice after other artists have passed due to their high tuition.

I had been conversing with faculty at UCLA and I had current grad students advocating on my behalf. I had gotten a rejection without even an interview.

I know we all understand this sentiment; of feeling yourself and your practice under repetitive scrutiny and valuation, only to be confronted with the hard realization that some people have the ability to prevent you from moving forward. I had expected nothing as a self taught artist, then my morale was so high from the offer of interviews at these schools. I had thought, "finally, my god, thank you." Visions of vast studios and dynamic conversation of art critiques quickly populated my mind. I am an idealist, and as such I am consistently let down. The rejection had me reeling in self doubt, without any touchstone to regain my faith in the art world. How am I to function if my work is too emotional to critique? How am I to move forward from this?

Truthfully, I have always done my best by proving people wrong. I realize that you should never ask permission for what others do not own. Your art is your's, your intention should be sincerely your own. If your work is not compatible with a program, that does not make it irrelevant, it simply means its different.

I had an interview at Goldsmiths this morning, a radical mfa program that had seemed like a wildcard in my applications. I had spoke from the heart and the hip about my work. I was immediately granted admission. Every thing that these ivy leagues took issue with, they appreciated.

Grad school is dating and you should find someone who loves you back.

On 3/14/2017 at 4:22 PM, sylviecerise said:

Yeah, I'm 99.99999% sure I'm going to Yale (just waiting on aid to officially matriculate), mostly figured I don't mind being the person to shake their admissions for some concrete dates :D 

Thats so exciting!!!! I'm super jelly! Will you let us know when you hear about funding/when you have commit to enrollment by? I'm keeping hopes up that a spot opens up for me from the waitlist (even though I know it is highly unlikely :-/). 

8 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Yay, congratulations @Poodle-Doodle @Causofit @peanutbutterjelly and @Dreaminghigh !!!!!!!!

Btw Tyler people: I got a not-very-helpful response that graduate departments are still reviewing applications and we should hear back "soon." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you! 

6 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I am so excited to get to the studio now that this process is all done! @oliveoil @AnniKatt @Dreaminghigh I don't know where I am going yet. I basically asked my recommenders to have coffee with me throughout this week and we are going to weigh the pros against the cons and where is best for my work and practice versus the amount of money I am being offered (I have two full rides hopefully I can use that as leverage). I wanted to go dancing to celebrate being done with interviews on Saturday night while I was in NYC but dang! It was dern cold all I wanted to do was rest. 

In response to @Causofit Tehehehehe :D Hunter doesn't offer any funding. "Apparently" according to them they are broke and very cheap so they are unable to award funding. They encourage citizens and Permanent residence- which I am neither of - to apply for FAFSA. 

Looking at your work- i feel like chicago is the place for you ☺️

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

So,

I interviewed at Yale for sculpture. They ask you to do a formal presentation of your work to the students and faculty. I was not flustered, I spoke from the heart and hip about my practice. However, they took issue with me not having an arts degree. A faculty member had stated that my work was too emotional to critique, and that the work I presented containing my brother's ashes (though absolutely relevant to my research about "performative objects", and the feature of an entire conceptual exhibition) was a faux pas. I had gotten rejected from Yale.

I interviewed at Columbia. I have not heard anything, and I realize that if I were to gain acceptance, I'd likely be a second or third choice after other artists have passed due to their high tuition.

I had been conversing with faculty at UCLA and I had current grad students advocating on my behalf. I had gotten a rejection without even an interview.

I know we all understand this sentiment; of feeling yourself and your practice under repetitive scrutiny and valuation, only to be confronted with the hard realization that some people have the ability to prevent you from moving forward. I had expected nothing as a self taught artist, then my morale was so high from the offer of interviews at these schools. I had thought, "finally, my god, thank you." Visions of vast studios and dynamic conversation of art critiques quickly populated my mind. I am an idealist, and as such I am consistently let down. The rejection had me reeling in self doubt, without any touchstone to regain my faith in the art world. How am I to function if my work is too emotional to critique? How am I to move forward from this?

Truthfully, I have always done my best by proving people wrong. I realize that you should never ask permission for what others do not own. Your art is your's, your intention should be sincerely your own. If your work is not compatible with a program, that does not make it irrelevant, it simply means its different.

I had an interview at Goldsmiths this morning, a radical mfa program that had seemed like a wildcard in my applications. I had spoke from the heart and the hip about my work. I was immediately granted admission. Every thing that these ivy leagues took issue with, they appreciated.

❤one of my dear friends goes to goldsmith and he LOVES it- you will love it as well

5 hours ago, meghanmetier said:

Hunter offers TAships.  They also encourage to work part time, maybe ask them if they can help you secure a work permit?  The grad admissions person (the one that sent out the email with typos) told us some of her colleagues left without any debt. 

Excellent! I will talk to them about it! Thank you! 

1 hour ago, oliveoil said:

Thats so exciting!!!! I'm super jelly! Will you let us know when you hear about funding/when you have commit to enrollment by? I'm keeping hopes up that a spot opens up for me from the waitlist (even though I know it is highly unlikely :-/). 

The letter said that we'd hear back about financial aid within the next two weeks and need to matriculate by April 10. Fingers crossed for you!!!! ?

I got into SFAI :))) top choice:)) 

I had an interview at cal arts on Saturday that went the best out of all six of my interviews :)) so I am not sure what sf program I want to go to for painting - hoping to get some sort of scholarship but it was not included in the admission packet:/ anyone know the differences between sfai and cal arts? 

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

So,

Congrats and well said. 

Good luck at goldsmith. 

29 minutes ago, Artsy2017 said:

I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia. Without funding, $150,000 or so for a degree sounds insane!! Here is last year's tuition and fees http://arts.columbia.edu/1st-2nd-Year-MFA

I too am waiting to hear back from Columbia, although I've been put in touch with two of the current grad students there and they've had very positive things to say, about both my work and ideologies and the way the faculty feels about me. Fingers crossed for those os us still waiting.

16 hours ago, Yetti said:

So,

Congratulations! I think I understand how you feel.

And do you have a website of your works?  I'm very interested.

hey folks, this is my first year applying to graduate school. I sadly didn't get into my top choices, but did get into SAIC , BU and MICA. Bu is offering my half scholarship. My question is, would rejecting these acceptances and deciding to reapply next year have any impact on my chances for getting interviewed/ and accepted with scholarship again?
ty

On January 27, 2017 at 4:29 PM, sylviecerise said:

I don't think SAIC's post-bacc is super competitive—I know they offer spots to people who don't get into the MFA program as well. My friend did SAIC post bacc and enjoyed it. If you stay in Chicago, you still have access to their facilities after you're done and it's a very, very good way of networking in the Chicago scene (which is dominated by SAIC alum; it can be hard to break into without SAIC connections imo). 

Brandeis also has a post-bacc, which I've heard good things about.

I'd reccomend looking into Tyler's and VCU's Summer Intensives! They are 7-week programs, so not a full post-bacc experience, but a much more affordable option. I did Tyler's program as I felt similarly to you—I switched to visual arts from math only during my 3rd year and felt like a needed an "art school" experience. It really, really helped me gain momentum to push my practice post-undergrad. I also feel like I know what to expect from grad school now. And I met a ton of really fantastic artists! I'm happy to answer any questions about the Tyler program.

Tyler SSI/SPI: http://tyler.temple.edu/continuing-education-program/summer-painting-sculpture-intensives

VCU Summer Studio Program: http://arts.vcu.edu/ssp@vcu/ 

This is a super old comment, but I was doing some searching on the forum since I have been thinking about applying to these summer intensives, and was wondering if Tyler offers any sort of scholarship for theirs? Also congrats on the Yale acceptance! :D

12 minutes ago, leekrasner said:

This is a super old comment, but I was doing some searching on the forum since I have been thinking about applying to these summer intensives, and was wondering if Tyler offers any sort of scholarship for theirs? Also congrats on the Yale acceptance! :D

Just kidding, I finally found it on the website! Disregard. Sorry!

19 hours ago, Yetti said:

So,

Honestly, it's all a matter of opinion. Congratulations; now I am intrigued about your work.