MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

I just visited couple of my schools! One of them was a zoo the other a lovely 2 yr ... wonderland. 

The zoo was cheap , pretentious AF, highly intellectual. 

But the wonderland, was lots of $$, awesome studio, faculty access, but the students work was shit!! 

?hm....

On 3/26/2017 at 1:31 PM, cheeseball said:

I'm feeling pretty bad about this whole thing. I applied to a lot of schools. I was hoping that I might get lucky and somewhere might open their doors to me and give me a full ride. I'm poor, I don't have any savings, and I don't have access to money.

RISD (est. total cost cited by school) = 73,430 - (12,000 assistantship + WS) = $122,860 two-year debt

Penn (est. total cost cited by school) = 72,000 - (14,700 scholarship + WS) = $114,600 two-year debt

ArtCenter (49962+18000+719) = 68,681 - (4,000 scholarship) = $129,362  two-year debt

RCA (35500 Tuition + 25000COL) = 60,500 = $121,000 two-year debt

I knew these are expensive schools. They gave me free applications and I was hoping for the best. I applied to plenty of known free schools and I got waitlisted at my top one. I suppose it feels good to be liked, but I have a pretty terrible feeling in my stomach knowing I will probably have to say no thank you to these wonderful people.

I was prepared to go into debt, but I wanted that to be a more reasonable number in the range of 20-60k

Where were you waitlisted?

i know how you feel. Im really sorry. however if you have your heart set on these schools, you should wait And ask them for more funding! Be ridiculous. Tell them you was a full ride or at least 75% tution covered! The least they can say is No. from what i hear, most funding comes from the last minute! 

Good luck

On 3/29/2017 at 9:33 AM, AnniKatt said:

I decided to email my admissions counselor directly to see if he could possibly provide me with an updated timeline for when we could hear back about decisions. Got an automatic response saying he is away in China at the moment.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

This is entirely frustrating - seeing your situation. One thing about grad school is that many administrations are no more professional than anyone else you know. Lots of variables flying around and lots of screw ups every year. Best of luck with it all - one thing that baffles me in general is just the lack of transparency and clear communication. Hopefully they are giving your app the fair shake and consideration it deserves. 

21 hours ago, Chelle1021 said:

have to choose between SAIC and Parsons... I'm feeling pretty torn right now cause NYC is a great city:unsure: Does anyone have any opinion about Parsons' fine arts program?? How is it comparing with SAIC's? 

I'd go to SAIC no question - especially for painting. Unless you're super acclimated to NYC already, Chicago is a better city to actually make work, more manageable, people more approachable, showing work easier etc etc - which is the point of grad school. It sorta depends on your style of work though. At some level schools aren't better, they're just a better fit (or not). 

2 hours ago, Causofit said:

I just visited couple of my schools! One of them was a zoo the other a lovely 2 yr ... wonderland. 

The zoo was cheap , pretentious AF, highly intellectual. 

But the wonderland, was lots of $$, awesome studio, faculty access, but the students work was shit!! 

?hm....

The last part of your comment gives me pause. Sounds like they bought all the right stuff, but the one thing that grad school is intended for you can't buy - and that's an inspiring, challenging atmosphere. Facilities and all that don't matter if you're not being pushed and inspired. Lots of subpar universities have great, modern facilities and yet some of the best ones in the country are perfectly content teaching in the same old classrooms that they've used since forever - but they have the best profs. 

25 minutes ago, felixo said:

This is entirely frustrating - seeing your situation. One thing about grad school is that many administrations are no more professional than anyone else you know. Lots of variables flying around and lots of screw ups every year. Best of luck with it all - one thing that baffles me in general is just the lack of transparency and clear communication. Hopefully they are giving your app the fair shake and consideration it deserves. 

Thank you! Fortunately, I do have other options open so there's always that :)

6 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

So ... what's the over-under for Tyler releasing decisions by the end of this week? ?

Lol, I still haven't received a peep from them aside from the email I sent them last week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 28/03/2017 at 7:59 PM, Kailyn90 said:

Hey everyone ! 

I was accepted to Slade and Goldsmiths. Slade has always been my favorite program -but can anyone give me insight between the two ?? ( for painting ) both are around the same cost. I have been to the campuses too so I'm really interested in hearing about experience of the actual program - thanks !!!

I was accepted to both programmes (for Bachelor's) but I would choose Slade over Goldsmiths any day. I went to UAL for four years and we refer to Slade students as "a whole new breed". Their MFA is incredible, intimate and quite intensive. The resource of UCL is also compared to none. PM me if you have any specific questions! 

Hey yall! looking for any input in need of help

I got accepted for painting in the following programs

SAIC with partial scholarship (almost but not quite half )

BU with half scholarhsip

Pratt with currently no funding

waitlisted on RISD

looking for some advice on the programs, and whether the fully funded road is worth waiting for and reapplying next year! cities are expensive and I don't have a lot saved and don't want to have to work to maintain cost of living while in grad school.

any advice is helpful thank you!!

8 hours ago, 7edkim said:

I was accepted to both programmes (for Bachelor's) but I would choose Slade over Goldsmiths any day. I went to UAL for four years and we refer to Slade students as "a whole new breed". Their MFA is incredible, intimate and quite intensive. The resource of UCL is also compared to none. PM me if you have any specific questions! 

Thank you so much !! That's the vibe I was getting as well. Glad someone can confirm :) I live in the states so it's intimidating to try and research just through short visits/internet

I might message you for tips on where to live or find an apartment if that's okay ....

On 3/29/2017 at 11:29 PM, chikapea said:

Hey @wompwompwomp! I saw where you currently live in Boston and I had a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking...? I'm currently trying to decide between BU and the University of Oregon, and while I really want BU to work out I'm not sure I will be able to cover the cost of living in Boston. I have a very generous offer from UO and would probably come out with very little debt if I went there. BU had a great offer but the cost of living is so high. I have a wife and a 14 month old, which makes finding a family friendly place even more difficult. BU's family housing was $1900.00 which is way too high. Are there any other options (family friendly) that would be around 1000.00 either in Boston or outside of Boston? I will have a car so I would be able to commute. I really like the program and the east coast but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it work and I really don't want to have a job while in grad school. Any help would be much appreciated! 

No worries! Happy to help. Yes, rent is high in Boston, it suckssss.

I haven't moved into a new place in over 4 years now so I'm not super up to date on current rent (though I know it's always going up like it is everywhere)...but you definitely will NOT find a place for 1000 a month in Boston, unless you're living with room mates/find a communal living situation.

If you can commute, then you can look outside the city for cheaper rent, which you can find (though I'm not sure what would go for 1000, it'd likely be a studio or 1BR), but I wouldn't know which suburb to check out. The good news with living outside the city is that public transport is great (compared to rest of the US) and so you can easily get to commuter rail stations (and in some cases, even subway lines). I'd look into Waltham as one potential suburb where you will find cheaper rent. Quincy is south of Boston, and might be worth checking out as well! Lmk if I can help with any other Boston related questions!

44 minutes ago, wompwompwomp said:

I haven't moved into a new place in over 4 years now so I'm not super up to date on current rent (though I know it's always going up like it is everywhere)...but you definitely will NOT find a place for 1000 a month in Boston, unless you're living with room mates/find a communal living situation.

If you can commute, then you can look outside the city for cheaper rent, which you can find (though I'm not sure what would go for 1000, it'd likely be a studio or 1BR), but I wouldn't know which suburb to check out. The good news with living outside the city is that public transport is great (compared to rest of the US) and so you can easily get to commuter rail stations (and in some cases, even subway lines). I'd look into Waltham as one potential suburb where you will find cheaper rent. Quincy is south of Boston, and might be worth checking out as well! Lmk if I can help with any other Boston related questions!

Malden/Medford/Somerville/Chelsea would be great options too ! All on the train. Honestly everything on the east coast is so close- you could live in NH and only have an hour commute( pending rush hour which is AWFUL there )

12 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

Hi! Is there anyone heard from NYU studio Art yet? It's been quite awhile. Thank you! 

I emailed them about results and they said while it was originally supposed to come out today it looks like it'll be next week instead. I'm not quite sure of exactly when though :/

1 minute ago, YayYayYay said:

I emailed them about results and they said while it was originally supposed to come out today it looks like it'll be next week instead. I'm not quite sure of exactly when though :/

Thank you for the update! Yea when I email on Monday, I was told the admission committee might be done with decision this week. I guess it's going to be next week then, fingers cross!

GOt a text from my mom that I got a little white envelop from Tyler. 

Looks like MFA 2018 for me! I'm gonna defer my acceptance to Pratt and continue to work hard next year. 

Good news is I passed the first round of interviews for the New York Arts Practicum! I got an email from Dannielle Teger yesterday to set up getting an interview for summer mentorship with her! ????

4 hours ago, wompwompwomp said:

Thanks so much for the info and help!!! :) 

Hey all, it's been awhile! I'm hoping someone got great news they were waiting for because last week I emailed Tyler to give up my spot in their program, along with a full-ride scholarship, to go to Virginia Commonwealth instead. Visited VCU last week and loved every last thing I saw and learned about! Most impressive grad studios I've seen, excellent program, great faculty, Richmond is safe and happening, nicest students making all kinds of great work, and an overall welcoming vibe. I feel like I found the perfect school for all my needs. So stoked!

@hastr683 I would pick Michigan for sure. I went there for undergrad and had an amazing experience. Ann Arbor is a super fun, safe, laid back town, the grad facilities are impressive (we're talking three times the studio space you'd get at UC Irvine), the funding they give grad students is impressive, the faculty are stellar, and the community is really tight. The difference in UCI is that it's in Irvine, and barely any of the grad students live in Irvine, they commute from LA, and are only there a few days a week (yes, many keep their LA studios while in school), therefore there isn't that tight knit of a community as most people expect from grad school. My 2 cents there, but honestly, cannot say enough positive things about Michigan. 

@cheeseball don't pay that much for grad school! That's crazy! Way too many funding opportunities out there to go into debt from pursuing an MFA.

And finally, @Poodle-Doodle congratulations on your final decision! You're going to have a blast in Chicago!